FEELER: Moby´s T14/1 and C12A transformers reincarnations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First attempt was deleted by this interface - which was frustrating - I'll try again, but it won't be as long and I won't have detailed comparisons...

actually f it... beyond great transformer - buy one . I tried all the others - end of story. reach out if you want more detailed trials and comparisons. Waste of my life trying to write this post again.

Now, I'll review the forum interface instead because all inspiration to share my excitement was extinguished when it was all forcefully deleted prior to posting.

F this interface - it's a waste of time. I can't be the only user who has experienced such frustration. My cursor would disappear and wouldn't reappear within the text window anywhere else but the very bottom line. Copy pasting my work to save it only copy pasted the top line - so the text became inaccessible despite still seeing it and being able to highlight it.

If I were to try again in this forum, I would have to be by writing my review in notepad and then copy/pasting it here just in case that cursor disappears and won't let me edit until I refresh, thus deleting the review yet again. What I didn't know, is that there's a "BB Mode" in the options above, and this is allowing regular typing without the interface freaking out.... and then we don't waste our lives failing while we're trying to share good information to good people. I'm assuming this is some true text mode - why is the default not true text -... what is it? Why did it make previous text inaccessible?

Not sure who owns this forum, but it ain't workin with firefox. I regret attempting to share my experience in such detail. Complaining about this interface wasting my time becomes more cathartic than sharing info about the awesome transformers that Moby makes. So, maybe when the forum is fixed, I can give praise where it's due, but until then - that's a high risk endeavor - and complaining about the forum becomes the forefront.

Please, someone... tag someone who will fix this so I don't waste more time yelling at a wall... I'd love to share my experience without the threat of having it deleted when I'm 99% though a long and thoughtful post. What a crappy first-time attempting to post here...

(Moby's transformers are the absolutely the cats pajamas - nothing built recently I've heard or used compares in the slightest)

Thanks to whoever is listening.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
First attempt was deleted by this interface - which was frustrating - I'll try again, but it won't be as long and I won't have detailed comparisons...

actually f it... beyond great transformer - buy one . I tried all the others - end of story. reach out if you want more detailed trials and comparisons. Waste of my life trying to write this post again.

Now, I'll review the forum interface instead because all inspiration to share my excitement was extinguished when it was all forcefully deleted prior to posting.

F this interface - it's a waste of time. I can't be the only user who has experienced such frustration. My cursor would disappear and wouldn't reappear within the text window anywhere else but the very bottom line. Copy pasting my work to save it only copy pasted the top line - so the text became inaccessible despite still seeing it and being able to highlight it.

If I were to try again in this forum, I would have to be by writing my review in notepad and then copy/pasting it here just in case that cursor disappears and won't let me edit until I refresh, thus deleting the review yet again. What I didn't know, is that there's a "BB Mode" in the options above, and this is allowing regular typing without the interface freaking out.... and then we don't waste our lives failing while we're trying to share good information to good people. I'm assuming this is some true text mode - why is the default not true text -... what is it? Why did it make previous text inaccessible?

Not sure who owns this forum, but it ain't workin with firefox. I regret attempting to share my experience in such detail. Complaining about this interface wasting my time becomes more cathartic than sharing info about the awesome transformers that Moby makes. So, maybe when the forum is fixed, I can give praise where it's due, but until then - that's a high risk endeavor - and complaining about the forum becomes the forefront.

Please, someone... tag someone who will fix this so I don't waste more time yelling at a wall... I'd love to share my experience without the threat of having it deleted when I'm 99% though a long and thoughtful post. What a crappy first-time attempting to post here...

(Moby's transformers are the absolutely the cats pajamas - nothing built recently I've heard or used compares in the slightest)

Thanks to whoever is listening.

Which other transformers did you try? And in what circuit? Curious to hear your thoughts.

PS Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the forum. No problems here in Brave/Chrome - maybe try another browser?

Which other transformers did you try? And in what circuit? Curious to hear your thoughts.

PS Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the forum. No problems here in Brave/Chrome - maybe try another browser?

I tried the AMI T14, Cinemag 13114, Jensen DB-E, couple of different designs of chineese 12:1 xformers... and of course the Moby T14/1. :)

I'm on Debian Linux with Firefox 115.11.0 and not having any hickups. But yeah, computers used to drive me absolutely nuts...
Give it another chance, this is a good place to be;-)

Cheers, V!
Im using firefox on a Mac... I'm sure Chrome or Safari would give me better luck. I'll be posting adventures despite the techy issues if luck will have it.

I'm wanting to try that V2545! I'm using the cinemag in a 251 clone at the moment, and that mic is begging for the T14/1 while I would put the V2545 in the c12 clone. Based on their current voicing, I feel the "more forward" sound as the V2545 is described would be benefitial for vocals. As of now, its' already the best mic I've heard in person. VERY deep sounding and smooth as silk in the top end.

Mic 1: TC12 Capsule, Matador PCB, wirewoud resistors in audio path, K42y PIO output cap @ .47uf. 1960 GE 5-Star tip mica halo getter 6072, Moby T14/1

This one is the best mics I've ever used... Perhaps a touch more mids would be a blessing to poke though a busy mix. EQ is not needed for this mic to translate perfectly... A solo vocal with this mic sounds glorious.

Mic 2: Dachman Audio DC12 (side term k67), Matador 251 PCB, wirewound resistors in audio path, 3.5uf Wet Tantalum output, 1960 GE IBM branded 3 Mica halo getter 6072, Cinemag 13114

Could use a little more bottom end and the top end is a little "papery" sounding. Overall, the Dochman capsule is smooth but definitely not as detailed or large sounding as the TC12. Despite it not being so huge sounding, it has provided some super awesome recordings. It's a very neutral capsule which does a great job of letting the circuit's tone be heard, and I've needed little to no EQ using this mic for female vocals and VO.

I actually think the 251 circuit can drive a better performance for a singer just because it feels so responsive and dynamic in the "vocal" region in headphones. It's definitely punchy, and it's NOT thin... thick, punchy, and focused in the upper mids. I could imagine the T14/1 adding that voodoo depth, silky top end, and a thicker bottom end. I'll report back once I get that v2545 for the c12 and try it!

Prior to this configuration, I used the Jensen DI xformer in the 251 with the TC12 capsule. That mic sounded pretty legendary before I mangled it to experiment. Ill post links to the album I just finished with it once it's distributed. Here's a raw from the albm using Neve 1073 SPX and Dangerous Compressor (modded) at input.

Attachments

• VOX 2.01_29.wav
    27.7 MB
Im using firefox on a Mac... I'm sure Chrome or Safari would give me better luck. I'll be posting adventures despite the techy issues if luck will have it.

I'm wanting to try that V2545! I'm using the cinemag in a 251 clone at the moment, and that mic is begging for the T14/1 while I would put the V2545 in the c12 clone. Based on their current voicing, I feel the "more forward" sound as the V2545 is described would be benefitial for vocals. As of now, its' already the best mic I've heard in person. VERY deep sounding and smooth as silk in the top end.

Mic 1: TC12 Capsule, Matador PCB, wirewoud resistors in audio path, K42y PIO output cap @ .47uf. 1960 GE 5-Star tip mica halo getter 6072, Moby T14/1

This one is the best mics I've ever used... Perhaps a touch more mids would be a blessing to poke though a busy mix. EQ is not needed for this mic to translate perfectly... A solo vocal with this mic sounds glorious.

Mic 2: Dachman Audio DC12 (side term k67), Matador 251 PCB, wirewound resistors in audio path, 3.5uf Wet Tantalum output, 1960 GE IBM branded 3 Mica halo getter 6072, Cinemag 13114

Could use a little more bottom end and the top end is a little "papery" sounding. Overall, the Dochman capsule is smooth but definitely not as detailed or large sounding as the TC12. Despite it not being so huge sounding, it has provided some super awesome recordings. It's a very neutral capsule which does a great job of letting the circuit's tone be heard, and I've needed little to no EQ using this mic for female vocals and VO.

I actually think the 251 circuit can drive a better performance for a singer just because it feels so responsive and dynamic in the "vocal" region in headphones. It's definitely punchy, and it's NOT thin... thick, punchy, and focused in the upper mids. I could imagine the T14/1 adding that voodoo depth, silky top end, and a thicker bottom end. I'll report back once I get that v2545 for the c12 and try it!

Prior to this configuration, I used the Jensen DI xformer in the 251 with the TC12 capsule. That mic sounded pretty legendary before I mangled it to experiment. Ill post links to the album I just finished with it once it's distributed. Here's a raw from the albm using Neve 1073 SPX and Dangerous Compressor (modded) at input.
Welcome to GroupDIY @spburns84 !

Sorry for your initial issues with posting … but I look forward to your insights … especially if you are who I think you are (your Chunger/Matador C12/251and Dachman mentions sounded familiar) …

Best Regards and welcome to GroupDIY !!!

As @Disco Volante said, ‘this is a good place to be’

Latest posts

Back