Going across the pond

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

due to a work trip, it’s being planned that I will spend a week across the pond, in england.
I’ll have more as I get closer to trip but might as well start planning now.
What is the weather like around late October?

Ah, so long sleeve shirts and a sweater is in order… just found out it might change to November 🤔. I suspect more of the same.
Definitely long sleeve shirt weather right now so for certain it will be in October. You will also need a waterproof coat and an umbrella.

If you end up anywhere near Fakenham on Norfolk I would be happy to treat you to lunch and a tour of my workshop.

Cheers

Ian

due to a work trip, it’s being planned that I will spend a week across the pond, in england.
I’ll have more as I get closer to trip but might as well start planning now.
What is the weather like around late October?
The advice about weather over there is that it changes... Warmer down on the southern coast but still colder than California. The gulf stream flows relatively warm ocean water up there.

I enjoyed touring local pubs with my sales rep trying to see how many different black and tans we could fabricate from the sundry beers on tap.

If you are going to try driving yourself look out for the oncoming traffic, they may be in your lane, and circles.

Enjoy....

JR

edit- consider tea... coffee over there was poor./edit

Definitely long sleeve shirt weather right now so for certain it will be in October. You will also need a waterproof coat and an umbrella.

If you end up anywhere near Fakenham on Norfolk I would be happy to treat you to lunch and a tour of my workshop.

Cheers

Ian
You are a delight but lunch would be on me out of respect.
I don’t know the country geography too well but from the looks of things the week will be in Oxford… but I’ll know more as events warrant

You are a delight but lunch would be on me out of respect.
I don’t know the country geography too well but from the looks of things the week will be in Oxford… but I’ll know more as events warrant
Oxford is unfortunately about 140 miles away from me.

Cheers

Ian

Can't speak for other parts, but I remember London being fairly mild in October. A jacket and you're fine. It did rain off and on, so do account for that.

Try the cask ale. Rather different for an American palette, but I quite liked it.

We’ll see if I can get away, as I grew up in Texas that’s not far.
Except the roads in Texas are a lot better and there is a lot less traffic. We have twice your population and a quarter the square mileage. But if you can get away that would be great.

Cheers

ian

I don’t suppose there is a way to get hop a narrow boat up there🤔
Norfolk, the county where I live, has no canals, The main reason is that the historically major trading towns were already fed by excellent rivers. In the east, the river Yare from Great Yarmouth linked Scandinavia and the Netherlands to the city of Norwich which was once England's second city. The river Great Ouse from Kings Lynn links west Norfolk to Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. It also links to England's canal system via the Middle Level Navigations and the river Nene. So in theory you should be able to reach Kings Lynn by boat from most of southern England (I an 20 miles form Kings Lynn).

Cheers

Ian

Bear in mind the speed limit on inland waterways is only a handfull of knots , lets say you make an average of three knots headway , so 140 miles is about 50 hours by canal boat ,horse drawn stage coach would be way faster . Looks like to get the train you'd need to head into London to catch the right line to Norfolk from Liverpool St station .

Thanks for the interesting info Ian , my county ,Cork, doesnt have any canals or waterways leading to the interiour of the country , its too mountainous and hilly to have been worth the trouble carving out canals and installing the lock gates . Traditionally the beer, whiskies ,butter and salted beef left via the cities quay wall ,over sea to its destination .

Theres a great Tv show from a few years ago called 'Great Canal Journeys' featuring Prunela Scales(Basil's wife from Faulty towers ) and her husband , well worth a watch Pucho !
For a more Irish perspective a man called Dick Warner made a great show on Irish TV called 'Waterways'

More or less the entire country of Ireland is well served by the inland waterway system ,all appart from the south western corner comprising county Cork and Kerry , although we do have railways hewn through the rocks ,over hills and down into the valleys . Cork got the name 'the rebel county' and we wear that as a badge of honour to this day .

Latest posts

Back