I wonder if Hartley Peavey likes pancakes....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see his car in that pile.. I'd say the odds are about zero that he was involved.

It's a little irritating that they keep calling it a sinkhole (maybe a stinkhole),,, a huge underground culvert pipe collapsed. Once the pipe inlet end was no longer secure and carrying the heavy rain run-off, the water cut it's own path through the soft dirt, but it looks like the pipe folded in on itself. . 

The storm that caused the culvert collapse dropped 5" of rain overnight at my house (20 miles from the incident), local business people blame development in the area for increasing the water load at that one pipe.

Big deal for a town like meridian... I hear they are already selling T shirts for survivors of the great culvert collapse of 2015...  8)

JR

here's the flyover https://www.facebook.com/WLBT3/videos/10153088839640653/?fref=nf you can see how the pipe folded up...

Water probably has been running *under* the pipe. Most culverts are supported by soil pressure. Wash the soil out on the lower sides, the bottom spreads, the top flattens. Now the too-cheap design is just inadequate.

And IMHO there is a lot of missing dirt, even allowing for pipe folding-in. Someone downstream knew it, but didn't know/care the implications.

It's not top over-load. Not that many cars. 5 inches standing water is only 26 pounds/square-foot, which is trivial in design.

I watch my culvert. It too seems to seep around the sides. But our "dirt" is very seep-resistant, and it's only 12" so if it collapsed we'd step over it.

PRR said:
Water probably has been running *under* the pipe. Most culverts are supported by soil pressure. Wash the soil out on the lower sides, the bottom spreads, the top flattens. Now the too-cheap design is just inadequate.

And IMHO there is a lot of missing dirt, even allowing for pipe folding-in. Someone downstream knew it, but didn't know/care the implications.
It's an old pipe... I don't think the local engineers responsible had a clue.
It's not top over-load. Not that many cars. 5 inches standing water is only 26 pounds/square-foot, which is trivial in design.
Yes, good call,  even after the collapse the water didn't disturb the loose soil above the pipe, so water was moving under the pipe...even after the collapse.

I watch my culvert. It too seems to seep around the sides. But our "dirt" is very seep-resistant, and it's only 12" so if it collapsed we'd step over it.
I have culverts all around supporting rain ditches.  3' concrete pipe in front, smaller in back. I've never seen the 3' pipe fill completely up, but i've seen it close (within inches) a few times. That's a bunch of water.

JR

Back