K47 / M7 (Theirsch or Peluso?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(What a troll.)

Peluso makes a fine range of products at a reachable price point for many budgets. He’s not a liar. It’s not a “rotten” business.

Contact him about your “findings” and report back. No need for the vitriol and name calling.

Here's the factual frequency response of this mic. Does this resemble any u47 or k47 graph you have ever seen?
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point here, but yes, actually. The combination of the basket diameter and capsule response make for a response that is broadly similar to a bright k47 on axis, but with less at 5k:
Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-14-55 Audio Test Kitchen.png
red being a warm 47, yellow being the peluso mic in question and orange being a u47fet. the response on-axis is basically the warm's response at 5k but the fet's response at 8k. does this make his marketing accurate? no. does the microphone sound exactly like a u47? also no. but the microphone doesn't sound nothing like a u47. it's complicated. the mix of 5k and 10k is impossible on a normal k47 backplate, but each feature individually isn't out of place.

that being said, responses like this aren't uncommon. lots of u87 clone microphones sound more like u47s on axis than u87s, like the warm wa87 v1:
Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-20-07 Audio Test Kitchen.png

which has essentially the same response as the peluso 47 mic, but with less at 10k.

(What a troll.)

Peluso makes a fine range of products at a reachable price point for many budgets. He’s not a liar. It’s not a “rotten” business.

Contact him about your “findings” and report back. No need for the vitriol and name calling.
Peluso is welcome to contact me, and pay for my services instead of sending friends repeatedly every time his name pops up in a thread. But that would mean he would have to start making his own products.

Here's some more Peluso budget gear, a 800$ stock chinese, saging ribbon mic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810_230910_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_230910_Gallery.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240810_230929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_230929_Gallery.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Every time i mention Peluso a good friend, not very regular in the forum section, shows up.

Maybe so… But at least this time, I know of Dan, well, on another site, and certainly trust his experience, just as much as yours. Plus, his preamp looks cool and I’m sure sounds just as good as it looks!

However, I have absolutely no experience with Peluso or his products whatsoever, so I can’t comment there.

Maybe so… But at least this time, I know of Dan, well, on another site, and certainly trust his experience, just as much as yours. Plus, his preamp looks cool and I’m sure sounds just as good as it looks!

However, I have absolutely no experience with Peluso or his products whatsoever, so I can’t comment there.
I am sincerely suspecting different gear for different markets. In the chaos of international business i can see how things can fall through the cracks, and sub par products can end up on the market. I can even imagine a scenario where the man himself, Peluso, might not be able to control every aspect of the marketing and sales. Especially if he's doing custom reskinning and repairs himself for regular customers, or friends.

There are so many swearing by his work, so there must be something he's doing right.

I’ve been hearing about the Arienne capsules over and over again, so that’s definitely my #1 contender for K47.
I put an Arienne flat K47 in my 47 clone to replace a 3U M7. Very happy with the results. Not that I have that much experience with the different capsules but it seems the flat K47 falls somewhere nicely between the M7 and K47 sound wise.

I put an Arienne flat K47 in my 47 clone to replace a 3U M7. Very happy with the results. Not that I have that much experience with the different capsules but it seems the flat K47 falls somewhere nicely between the M7 and K47 sound wise.

Could you share any audio samples?
So we get an idea of the sound you are getting. Really interested.

M

Similarly can't say anything regarding Peluso but can attest that Dan is a well renowned artist, educator, gear enthusiast and builder, etc... Was briefly a student in the Bluegrass program he is over at ETSU, he is top notch at what he does and a nice guy to boot.

I didn't realize Peluso was only a couple hours away, cool to know that operation is so close by.

Similarly can't say anything regarding Peluso but can attest that Dan is a well renowned artist, educator, gear enthusiast and builder, etc... Was briefly a student in the Bluegrass program he is over at ETSU, he is top notch at what he does and a nice guy to boot.

I didn't realize Peluso was only a couple hours away, cool to know that operation is so close by.
Reading again what @BluegrassDan wrote in the original reply i can see that Pelusos as a family are great people, neighbors, and they re-skin chinese backplates.

I can't dispute that, and i'm not even trying to. I am saying that Peluso, as a company, sells microphones that are advertised as one thing, but you end up with something else.

As someone who works with capsules, for the 1000th time i beg people of this forum to understand that reskinning capsules doesn't change much about it's voicing, if anything it makes things worse due to lack of clean room, expertise and tons of other stuff. It also doesn't change the price of the capsule from 20$ to 200$.

Just saw the interview at JP workshop, and the measurement setup they use. Needless to say i'm shocked. But i don't expect anyone here to understand why. Just like with capsules, he has no idea what he's doing. Unless it's selling koolaid, which seems to work.

I don't know who is behind this business model, but if you advertise something, that is what you should sell. In many cases, what is advertised on Peluso site is not what you get. Which is the point of my first reply in this thread.

I don't doubt John is a great guy to have a beer with, it's just that i wouldn't suggest buying anything of the site with his family name. Whom ever owns it, or writes the bollocks on their site.

Would you rather have an independent, non biased forum contributor reporting on various product with images, measurements, facts? Or bunch of neighbors praising each other's moonshine?

This is not necessarily towards you @SubSpec , just trying to sort between apples and oranges. Thanks for clearing up Dan is a straight up guy.

Then i am thinking how many great people are actually vouching for such businesses, knowing owners personaly, only for those companies to abuse the trust and sell crap to people like me, or my friends whom own the mics sent to me.

Videos from a user on GS, reporting on issues with diaphragms, again bought through a dealer>

The thread ended by bunch of people attacking the OP, and saying Peluso is a great guy, and there's no way this could have happened. So all of us reporting the issues throughout the years are just mean haters?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark​

Last edited:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark​

Oh no!
Not just in Denmark, beleive me!

Hold on, is this thread about to be moved to the brewery or to that new private political forum ?

Or maybe I’m just about to be expelled from GDIY? Shit !!!

Please let’s go back to Mic capsules. A little bit less controversial (just a little).
Stay on topic please, you guys!!!
😬
M

Last edited:
Regarding K47/M7 differences, I record a lot of classical music and jazz. I am a big fan of the M7. It is in all of my U47-style mics except one where I have an original Neumann K47. That mic is used least by me but is fantastic when it's the right thing. But I like a slightly "neutral"/darker sound...
Agreed on that 100%!

I would like to add my $0.02 to this thread! I love M7’s! I have not heard the Thiersch. But as soon as I heard Dany Bouchard’s M7 clone (he calls it the D7), I knew I didn’t need to look anywhere else for a great M7. Really my favorite available M7 capsule out there. @poctop did an incredible job with it. Hard to get, but worth it if you can!

Arienne Audio @soliloqueen is doing stellar work. You cannot go wrong with any of her products. When available, easy to obtain as well. I have the flat47 and a few of the k87’s. Next on my list is her K47, can’t wait.

Cheers.

@Migs 31

Not just in Denmark, beleive me!

Hold on, is this thread about to be moved to the brewery or to that new private political forum ?

Or maybe I’m just about to be expelled from GDIY? Shit !!!

Please let’s go back to Mic capsules. A little bit less controversial (just a little).
Stay on topic please, you guys!!!
😬
M
A line spoken by Marcellus (An officer of the palace guard says this after the ghost of the dead king appears, walking over the palace walls.) in William Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act I, scene iv.

Today this Phrase is using in an idiomatic sence…

something is rotten in the state of Denmark

1. (idiomatic) Something is not right, seriously amiss, especially when leading to suspicion of motive.
"If the authorities knew about the problems and chose not to prevent them, then clearly something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

As you can see by the previous page (1), there are a whola lotta suggestions including:

The Arienne Audio K47 capsule,

The Arienne Audio Flat K47 capsule,

The Siegfried Thiersch Elektroakustik STW7 blue line M-7 PVC capsule,

The Rico Vetterlein Mikrofonunion STW7 red line M-7 PET capsule,

The genuine Neumann K-47/49 capsule

The Microtech Gefell GmbH M-7 capsule

In this page (2) there is a new suggestion by EarthTone about the Dany Bouchard’s M7 clone, the D7 Custom Microphone Capsule

And I also re-include in this whola lotta list the Flea Pro Audio F-7 capsule, while in the same time there is not a word about what the hell this electronic microphone circuit will going to be…

In other words we are all making a nonsense “Platonic” conversation about capsules, no matter if we are talking about an all Authentic Neumann U-47 circuit with VF-14 tube,
a MK-47 circuit with a Twin 6028/408A tubes,
an Oliver Archut U-47 Alternative circuit with an EF-12 ~ EF800 tube,
a M-49(a,b,c) circuit with any Alternative 5840 tube,
a Neumann - Gefell CMV563 circuit,
a Neumann - Gefell UM57 circuit,
a Microtech Gefell GmbH UM75 circuit,
a Microtech Gefell GmbH UM92 and UM92.1(s) microphone circuit(s), just to name a few microphones that use M-7 & K-47/49 capsules in their circuit(s)…

I've had issues with other medium and high grade 47-type capsules and ended up with Ben's (Beesneez) M7 and I love it...Presence and Clarity galore!!! Of, course, as Accelerator mentioned, we have so many variables in circuit types, circuits, signal chain, singers and/or instruments, etc. One must keep all these things in mind.

10-11 years ago I was doing all the blind tests you could find on Internet regarding U47 clones. And I always, I mean always ended up choosing Thiersch's M7 when there was one among the shootout contenders. Never preferred the Pelusos. Long story short, I ordered a Flea 47 Next with Thiersch PVC M7 and it's been by far my favorite mic in the world. I also have a Neumann TLM49 with K47 and I love it, but it doesn't have the meat of the Flea 47, I use it mostly for female voices, though still prefer the Flea for just about anything.

In other words we are all making a nonsense “Platonic” conversation about capsules, no matter if we are talking about an all Authentic Neumann U-47 circuit with VF-14 tube,
a MK-47 circuit with a Twin 6028/408A tubes,
an Oliver Archut U-47 Alternative circuit with an EF-12 ~ EF800 tube,
a M-49(a,b,c) circuit with any Alternative 5840 tube,
a Neumann - Gefell CMV563 circuit,
a Neumann - Gefell UM57 circuit,
a Microtech Gefell GmbH UM75 circuit,
a Microtech Gefell GmbH UM92 and UM92.1(s) microphone circuit(s), just to name a few microphones that use M-7 & K-47/49 capsules in their circuit(s)…

I studied Plato some in college and I'm not sure what you're talking about or what your point is.

Are you saying that since mic circuits vary, there's no point in comparing different m7 and K47 capsules and judging some to be better than others?

Is that supposed to be relevant to whether Peluso has poor quality control and/or inflated prices?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back