K67 "style" as single diaphram in e.g. poctops U87 (AND TSC-2 related questions)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jBam

GDIY Supporter
Hi all... I've been slowly ebbing and flowing with parenting, work, accidental fun party weekends, epic hangovers, more (even more epic) parenting and... diy projects :)...

I'm mid way through a few mic builds. nearly there on 2 Vami 84 LDC's, close'ish with another 2 U87 (Poctops).

One thing I noticed is people who's opinions I follow like @kingkorg stating that a TSC-2 capsule (JLI) is an affordable option for a diaphram sound that scrapes very close to a good authentic K87 sound (or perhaps K67 in a an AI U87??)... At the least, it appears to be the capsule in a modded mic Kingkorg rates as stupidly close to the real deal... Can't remember the post sorry.. I can find and link if interested...

So... bare with me a second too please... I'm tired and my login to GDIY didn't work for ages, so I'm typing this now off the cuff after reading a lot for weeks, but also after finally logging in after a few drinks... not a so called "fun party weekend" but I feel tired and just want to get this post out there before I crash ;)

I always rant too much in these posts and scare off responses lol... so I'll cut to the chase...

I have a few JLI TSC-2's in the mail

• they're basically a K67 "style" (dual dia, center term, connected (NOT isolated) backplates), and like I said, people like kingkorg rate it as pretty much "that U87 sound, give or take a few farads in the feedback filter" (paraphrased)... I bought these because... dunno... the nerd-devil within told me to so I could have more projects to build lol
  • What circuit would that be referring to (where it sound like a U87)? They definitely do NOT have isolated backplates... Is that e.g. a cardioid only "classic" U87 build (e.g. poctops U87 but no switching, cardioid only)?... or is there some secret hidden multi pattern U87AI build I'm missing??
  • Is there another DIY project I should be looking into with these caps?... I've spent... well, weeks looking... but maybe I'm fixated on U87's by accident and searching for the wrong things... I know K67's are a very common cap in production mics, but I'm kind of struggling to find a good alt other than a classic clone... I also assume (EDIT: well - not "assume"... the freq graph is pretty clear and shows that typically 10k'ish bump ;)...) these are high freq hyped and need filtering... so some of those fun LDC filter'less PCBs (that like a flat capsule) might just be... not quite right. e.g. Vamisound LDC conversions of e.g. shoepes... i like the idea, but not the idea of putting the wrong high freq bump'd cap in it...
My current D-87 poctops builds - I'll use proper isolated backplates (which I've finally acquired), and get the full suite of patterns. nice... just looking for a good build for these TSC-2's... honestly don't mind another U87 pair either, even if only cardioid... but open to other ideas.

FOR SUGGESTIONS, NOTE THOUGH: I'm nervous about wiring up tube power supplies.. two 67's sound nice, and I'm not incompetent with the soldering and general DIY processes... but I AM nervous about high voltages for me and my kids wandering around (who appear out of nowhere). 100% Building a power supply, even from a kit, still kinda scares me to be honest. My comfort is in solid state (ie. 48V Ph Power).

I'll stop typing for now... probably easier to ask the basic questions and then see what you all think :)

Damn - just re-read... this IS already too long lol *facepalm*.... anyway - opinions on a a good DIY for the TSC-2's would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
At the least, it appears to be the capsule in a modded mic Kingkorg rates as stupidly close to the real deal... Can't remember the post sorry.. I can find and link if interested...

https://groupdiy.com/threads/akg-perception-p220-to-neumann-u87-5-min-mod-p200-p100-p400-p420.67473/

• is there some secret hidden multi pattern U87AI build I'm missing??
  • Is there another DIY project I should be looking into with these caps?... I've spent... well, weeks looking... but maybe I'm fixated on U87's by accident and searching for the wrong things... I know K67's are a very common cap in production mics, but I'm kind of struggling to find a good alt other than a classic clone...

https://groupdiy.com/threads/feeler...ards-opamp-jfet-u87a-fet847-ors87-plus.87606/

Hey Khron, thanks for the quick reply and links :)... makes this easier to follow for others too.

I was on your (f#$king impressive) post earlier this week and today (second link)... that mini schoeps in an XLR... dude... man... I'm speechless. But I will mutter: "so fckn cool, bravo".

Maybe you can help me with the right build option?... There's a lot in there (in your proto board options), and my inner devil nerd again said "well, of course, I want all of those" lol... out of the k67 capable mics in your list, say I have my Poctop u87's nailed, where would you... dunno... suggest I head? I have 2 x km84 (sdc, beezneez), 2 x vamisound ldc84 with k47s... these two poctops 87s... could TOTALLY double up on any of those LDC's, or...

I keep coming back to kingkorg saying these cheap tsc-2 deliver that 87 sound. Happy to jump on that train ;)

Off topic:

How are the boards coming along BTW?... great work!... just a little devils advocate, but did you consider a "thin" pcb with breakaways for wider body mounts? E.g. there's an ali tf33 (and 51) body that is AMAZING quality with a kinda standard 3cm (wide) and 8cm (tall) screw placement. I wonder if a pcb had that thin layout with breakaway stubs to larger widths for other bodies and other screw placements... meh? Dunno... like I said... off topic ;)

[EDITS: Various basic grammar and spelling edits to make this legible ;)]

Last edited:
How are the boards coming along BTW?

As the latest updates say / show, i got the boards and they look good. But just yesterday we got our offer for a house accepted, so we're sort of in disbelief and internally panicking etc 😆 So this "fun" will unfortunately need to take a back seat for the next few weeks, while we pack & move...

that mini schoeps in an XLR... dude... man... I'm speechless. But I will mutter: "so fckn cool, bravo".

Thanks so much! 😁🙏🏻 So far i've only got to test that it does indeed work; can't quite comment on how well or anything, but there's a huge heated garage in the house (which will be the live room / rehearsal place), so i can then get to even measure that cheapie first one against my measurement mic, and then build up & compare it to one with a (now long-discontinued) Panasonic WM61A... Along with my already too extensive mic collection, which i really SHOULD start renting out, by the way... 🤦🏻

House offer accepted!?... oh man, screw microphones!!! Congrats mate. That's fantastic :)... I'm lucky enough to be in the same boat, and know that weird feeling you have right now (or my version of it)... I'll crack another beer for you (I was anyway, but, you know 😉)...

House offer accepted!?... oh man, screw microphones!!! Congrats mate. That's fantastic :)... I'm lucky enough to be in the same boat, and know that weird feeling you have right now (or my version of it)... I'll crack another beer for you (I was anyway, but, you know 😉)...

Thanks! It's still sort of surreal, it's barely the second one we visited, and even that only happened just last sunday 😆 But yeah, live room there, and the small bedroom above it will be the control room / my workshop 🤘🏻

Just too bad I didn't have the chance to build up other boards from this batch, so i had what to sell & help pay off the loan 🤣🤣🤣 But oh well, all in due time(?), i guess...

You'll need a lot more than some DIY PCBs bro... lol JK 😜

Workshop "above" a room... man... that already sounds a lot nicer than my house haha... I'm happy with my 3m x 2m "studio" (with roughly 3m high ceiling)... the acoustic gods are... not kind on my bass response lol (although, I have my two spots I can sit and mix with confidence)...

Latest posts

Back