Mini SSL 5000 Mixer build thread (Revisited 2015)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DigitalMetal said:
Getting there slowly, please escuse the dodgy wood work its going to be sanded and covered in something when its finished,

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Hi,

wow,that´s a big one.Did you do the mechanics only or even the wiring and psu (can´t see any lights-hey,christmas time,no? ;D).

Keep up the good work and merry christmas Neil,

Udo ;).

Yes, I'm also curious for the wiring !

12 pieces of 521.... Did all the modules work ?
A lot of the 521's that I bought got little defects, while I didn't have had any problems with 502's, 510's, 520's, 522's, 542's.

Also, make sure the cases have holes for ventilation on top and bottom.

I have wired up a test rig for one channel on the bench and been through and tested most of the modules, from what I remember the 521's are all ok, I had some advice from someone before that the contacts of the brown 3 pin molex connectors on the boards can often need a wiggle or clean if you get problems, but I've not come across any yet.
I have just started the main wiring, all ins outs / inserts and links to the Eq's is going to be on 25 way d-subs its a lot of soldering but I'm used to it from my day job and quite enjoy it.
With regards to cooling I'm going put some silent fans on the back panels and see how that goes to start with and may end up making the top and bottom panels out of steel mesh if it's all too hot but I'm not at that point yet,

Merry Christmas Guys!

400838_10150559491121201_711511200_11173559_1696171201_n.jpg

One end of the first 32 pin DIN41612 connector for the input modules done, only another 11 to do, might get them done today but I'm going for quality over speed ;0)

Go Neil go ;D

DigitalMetal said:
I'm going for quality over speed ;0)
Absolutely second this!Working on my passive mixing network (NYD) for the IMO at the moment-man,that´s a lot of solderpoints to do.I calculated over 1900 points.Have done the first 8 channels,so I know what that means,hahahaha....

Happy soldering,

Udo.

;)

Ah yes the summing network was a painful prospect after getting all the resistors done, hence why i went for the Krone blocks,

Good luck with your soldering too !

DigitalMetal said:
;)

Ah yes the summing network was a painful prospect after getting all the resistors done, hence why i went for the Krone blocks,

Good luck with your soldering too !
THX,remember that I´m doing the full(!) setup with level,pan and mute for 24 channels :p....hmmmmmmpppfffffffff......

Cheers,

Udo.

Ah yes a brave choice to make! luckily i have my 521 input modules that will cover those tasks for me  ;D

Progress:

The Wiring for the i/o modules is done:

421940_10150681836391201_711511200_11578138_1237143105_n.jpg

And the back panel is on (minus fan, im still deciding what to do for cooling)

402100_10150681838631201_711511200_11578144_678134308_n.jpg

It works ! lights on!

420695_10150681866946201_711511200_11578339_1974152538_n.jpg

Lights

419907_10150681878576201_711511200_11578374_1725906094_n.jpg

Yet to test the audio through on all channels, thats my next job.

Thanks Udo !

Wow i just saw the pitures of your build, thats some serious amount of pots you got going on there!

Looks Awesome  ;)

Hi Neil,

Tidy work !

a few things that I would do differently, but it's looking good nevertheless.

And, I'd make ventilationslots on the top and bottom, and won't use a fan. Fans are horrible in mixing environments

+1  on the ventilation slots,should work if you have enough of them.Even our original 5k consoles
didn't have vents-one located in a small studio,the other in a critical theatre live environment.
Well,it became hot in the middle section in summer time,but that's where we had our main modules for total recall stuff etc.,definetely the hottest part of the consoles.
And you can give the box a pierced back panel as well.

@Paul:what did you mean with doing things different?I bet running the audio lines from the cards to the d-subs shielded,no?

Cheers,

Udo.

Im still not 100% sure im going to put a fan in, but if i do it will be a low volatge slow/very quiet one that you can get for quet PC's these days so you wont hear it at all,
And im sure my Computer, Magma chassis and 2x 192io's make more noise than this fan would.
Im pretty sure im going to route a large area out of the top and bottom panel of this and the EQ racks too and sink are large piece of mesh in for good ventilation.
This enclosure is just temporary until i know it all works properly and ive ironed out any changes i want to make for the final version that will go into a proper "desk style" piece of woodwork.

Yes Paul tell me what you would to differently, i had considered shielding everything but its such a short length i thought i would try it on ribbons first as its an easier/tidier soloution in my opinion.

Well, shielded would be better, but I don't think ribbons here would be a real problem. It sure looks a lot tidier with the ribbons ! If really needed, you can use aluminiumtape to get better isolation between the stereo channels.

The Sub-D's : I would definately place them vertically instead of horizontally. That way there will be less mechanical stress on the pins.

The 5K consoles that I have seen did have ventilationslots, and also fans inside. Big chunky EBM Pabst, controlled by regulators located on the PSU distribution cards inside the console.
But even though there are "silent" fans available : all fans will get noisier after a year or 2, doesn't matter how expensive they are, or which superduper megasmooth ballbearings they use.

Slots on top and bottom, that's what I suggest. And ditch all the electronic parts that you don't use, for instance the TR/IR chips (85507). Also the lateralswitching for the routing isn't needed in your case, you can take these out as well. even though this won't be a drastical improvement, this has 3 advantages : decreases powerconsumption, decreases heatproduction, and there will be a better airflow between the sandwiched boards. win-win-win.

Question:

I'm using an SSL 5000 cage with 4 EQ and 4 line amp modules. I'll be doing a JLM powerstation for this project with the modded doubler. I'm curious however about the hookup. The cage has an 8-pin connector for power but I didn't find specs or a picture of what goes where on that connector. Any help with that?

baadc0de said:
Question:

I'm using an SSL 5000 cage with 4 EQ and 4 line amp modules. I'll be doing a JLM powerstation for this project with the modded doubler. I'm curious however about the hookup. The cage has an 8-pin connector for power but I didn't find specs or a picture of what goes where on that connector. Any help with that?
Hi,

have never heard of an SSL 5K "Cage".Can you explain a bit more in depth or even post some pics?Does it have the buscards on the back and guide rails or will you wire the modules yourself?
May I ask where this cage comes from?

Really interesting,maybe a premade rack from recycled audio or so....

Cheers,

Udo ;)

helterbelter said:
Mail sent. Sorry I forgot to reply it in the first place. Bit too busy with other things.

Thanks!

This is how far it got me, the negative doubler mod on JLM is working well.. I didn't wire audio yet. However, the rightmost EQs don't light up (SL502s), but all others do. The backplane part I have has a single 8-pin connector in the mid of all four EQ bays. So I don't think I'm supposed to wire power to those independently. I'll try swapping places in the cage, but other than that, any ideas?

The eq's only light up when connected to the 505's through the S502 flatcable. Or you have to wire one of the pins to the -25v line. Can't recall which, but you can find it in one of the SSL racking threads on this forum.

Latest posts

Back