Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumb:

So far, these are the ones that will come :

1) vertiges
2) lozion
3) sysexguy
4) jim (if he can make it)
5) outoftune

Who else ?

eD)))

i am not gonna be able to make it tonight because i am too far behind on my school work. have fun and let us know how it goes.
sorry.

outoftune,

The policy for last minute cancellation is you will have to bring the donuts for the next meeting ! :green:

Talking about the next meeting... let's fix a date !
I propose around the 15 of march. What do you think ?

What is the best for you ? I'm asking again...
During the week or the week-end ?

eD)))

The policy for last minute cancellation is you will have to bring the donuts for the next meeting

Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?????The policy for last minute cancellation is you will have to bring the box of SIFAM meters for the next meeting :grin: :grin:

Luckily we did actually pull this off, it was great to meet in person and see the faces behind the handles. 3/15....looks like I'll be eating sausages und beer at MusikMesse in Frankfurt that weekend......+ I gotta finish some builds :green:

Andy

[quote author="vertiges"]outoftune,

The policy for last minute cancellation is you will have to bring the donuts for the next meeting ! :green:
[/quote]
fair enough!

the 15th would be ok for me...or maybe later in march could work for me too

Hi,

I've just been told by a Canadian Sales Rep. from Mouser that they have arranged a better shipping deal for the Canadian customers with FEDEX. It is overnight service for $19.00 USD, brokerage and duties included.

That's a good news ! :thumb:

Did you know about it ?

eD)))

[quote author="vertiges"]Hi,

I've just been told by a Canadian Sales Rep. from Mouser that they have arranged a better shipping deal for the Canadian customers with FEDEX. It is overnight service for $19.00 USD, brokerage and duties included.

That's a good news ! :thumb:

Did you know about it ?

eD)))[/quote]

So, I decided to order at Mouser !
I made a $ 400 CAD order + 19.00 USD (Fedex shipping).

The Fedex guy came this morning with my package and wanted to charge me $ 143.00 !!! :shock:
I refused to pay and he left with my order... :cry: Damn ! My iron was ready ! Hey come on !!! I could have finished my second GSSL by the end of the day !!! Could you imagine my frustration ?

I called Fedex right after. They explain me they charged $ 67.5 because there were a lot of items to encode !!! $ 1,5 per line ! :shock:
In fact, today, I've learnt how Fedex made $610 million of net incomes in 2007. :green:

I don't know what is gonna happen next !
I contacted Mouser and asked them if is possible to avoid this hidden fee...
I hope there is a misunderstanding somewhere.

I feel really bad about having given this information ! I hope nobody did place an order. :oops:

I'll keep you posted,

eD)))

EDITED THE 5th of MARCH :

Mouser gave me a credit for what was over $19. What a great customer service they have ! Great communication too ! :thumb:

What I would do is to call up FedX and talk to a customer relations person! It should not matter how many items you have on a waybill! It goes by weight and distance and volume of package of course.

I would also communicate to Mouser's customer relations person that they are misrepresenting themselves (this is not a critique of them just information they should have in order to pass on to customers).

jim

Hi Jim,

[quote author="Bluzzi"]What I would do is to call up FedX and talk to a customer relations person! It should not matter how many items you have on a waybill! It goes by weight and distance and volume of package of course.
jim[/quote]

"A fee applies if more than 10 Harmonized Tariff classification lines per entry are required to clear a shipment through customs"

http://www.fedex.com/ancillary/go/service?pt=ac&lc=en_US&wcc=CA&dc=CA

Hopefully, they don't charge by ordered components !!! :wink:

Oh man, I'm really pis_*_ed off !!! With thoses FEDEX, UPS, etc... there is no way to know exactly how much they gonna charge you. That's why as often as possible I ask for standard post shipping. But unfortunately, a lot of companies don't offer it.

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
I would also communicate to Mouser's customer relations person that they are misrepresenting themselves (this is not a critique of them just information they should have in order to pass on to customers).
jim[/quote]

I did. They're checking with Fedex.
I hope it's a mistake... I'm not willing to pay $19+$67.5 of "shipping fees" for a 1 pound box which has the size of a six pack !
$ 86.5 is far away of the $ 19 initial shipping deal...

I'll keep you posted !

eD)))

Good luck man.

On another note. My Weller needs a new tip.

Anyone know where they stock them in Montreal? I've got the wcpt model.

jim

Which tip do you need ?
Active Electronic should have the ST1, ST2 ST3 in stock.

http://www.active123.com

Active Electronic
5349 Ferrier
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
H4P 1M1

eD

Jim,

I've just check in my drawers. I've a ST1 and a ST2 (unused).
If they you are "in a hurry" I can help you. :wink:

There is also : http://www.rpelectronics.com
They are in Burnaby, BC and they ship very fast.

eD

Hi,

It's an attempt to try to revive this real purpose of this thread.
It doesn't appear to have a big enthusiasm... :cry:

Maybe we've got to wait until the snow goes away... :wink:

I've been very busy but I found the time to work on my diy-project :

1) I've finished a second GSSL + SuperSC. I'm doing the metal work, painful as usual :evil: I'll post all the pics soon ! It sounds great and not hum at all :thumb: The "residual noise" is almost at -100 dB !
2) I've got a night EQ 95 % finished. As usual, I've made mistakes in my order... there are some resistors missing...
3) I'm working on a dual API 312... But I'm still in the experimental phase : like cocking some 2520... :oops: Hopefully, now, I've got one channel working. I'm waiting for replacement pieces for the other one.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a place when I could find some good-looking Allen screws (for the front panels of my racks) here in Montreal.
:?:

Jim, Finally... have you finished and tested your GSSL ?

Éric, how sound your Chameleon Labs compressor ?

Andy, how good are the sausage and the beer in Frankfurt ?

Cheers,

eD)))

vertiges - I have problems just getting my buddies to meet every 2 weeks to Jam over at my place! So yes its hard. We all seem to live this life at the speed of light (or the speed of life which is title of one of my tunes).

But keep trying. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

I just finished my GSSLs and they work fine but as soon as I wired my Sidechain I got some "ducking". I removed them top make sure my main boards were functioning and they checked out 100% Actually they sound great without the sidechain even.

I think its because I left out the "ground" connection. I followed Greg's hookup to the "t" and since it didn't have the gorund connected I figured it doesn't need to be.

So when I get a minute I will hook one up again and this time connect ground to see if things change. Once I get the sidechain working I'll post pictures.

I have a place in Mascouche hwere you can get all kinds of machine screws etc. You may have to buy a box of 100 sometimes or sometimes they have a partial box they will sell you. Bug me in a few days and I'll have the name for you.

As for the metal work, yes its always the part everyone finds hard to do, including me. I just got some anodyzed panels from a place in Lachine (6 of 3RU anodyzed for $75.00) so thats just a bit more than $12 each, not great but not bad either.

I finished doing my panel design in Illustrator and I will be getting front and back panels laser engraved this week. I'm not sure how much or how good the place is yet so ask me in 2 weeks.

Other than finishing my current projects (GSSL and MP-2 and EZ1290 pres) the only other thing I'm working on is a 1084EQ on 1 pcb. I really want to go back top my recording and composing for a bit. DIY is addictive and it takes me way too much time, I'm the slowest DIY guy there is.

jim

Back