Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I am doing research for a possible product I may put out so I need to find something solid, but for our own projects some of these methods may be quite adequate. When I am finished I will outline all the methods and their pros and cons. I'll also let you know where you can get the panels done each way.

Just came back from iMax downtown. Saw the Rolling Stones movie. First time I got to not wear my winter coat this year!

eD, are you in the Laurentians? I don't know why I have that impression. I'm in the West Island.

Jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"] First time I got to not wear my winter coat this year!
[/quote]

It was crazy today... This afternoon, I went for a walk in the woods wearing a t-shirt ! :shock:

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
eD, are you in the Laurentians? I don't know why I have that impression. I'm in the West Island.
Jim[/quote]

Yes indeed. I spend most of my week-ends over there... I need to escape from the town, breath fresh air, relax my ears... that kind of thing... you know... But I leave in Montreal.

eD)))

[quote author="Bluzzi"]

I have a place in Mascouche hwere you can get all kinds of machine screws etc. You may have to buy a box of 100 sometimes or sometimes they have a partial box they will sell you. Bug me in a few days and I'll have the name for you.

As for the metal work, yes its always the part everyone finds hard to do, including me. I just got some anodyzed panels from a place in Lachine (6 of 3RU anodyzed for $75.00) so thats just a bit more than $12 each, not great but not bad either.

jim[/quote]

Jim, as promised, I'm bugging you for the green in the text !!! :wink:

eD)))

I don't have the name of the distributor for the machine screws but I will be seeing my friend tomorrow and he will remember the name. I have it somewhere too but not found easily. So I'll have it for you tomorrow.

The anodyzing I bought at Manufacture Raymond in Lachine. But just be patient a bit as I am finding out all kinds of things here and I will let you know I promise. Mfg. Raymond does not have dark colors in stock! But I am talking to them about that and they may stock some for me. For you if its only for yourself it will cost more per piece but you can get aluminum anodyzed to your color. A better solution for you would be Power Painted Aluminum! Just be patient for a week or 2 and I will have more info for you.

jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]I don't have the name of the distributor for the machine screws but I will be seeing my friend tomorrow and he will remember the name. I have it somewhere too but not found easily. So I'll have it for you tomorrow.[/quote]

Super ! :thumb:

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
The anodyzing I bought at Manufacture Raymond in Lachine. But just be patient a bit as I am finding out all kinds of things here and I will let you know I promise. Mfg. Raymond does not have dark colors in stock! But I am talking to them about that and they may stock some for me. For you if its only for yourself it will cost more per piece but you can get aluminum anodyzed to your color. A better solution for you would be Power Painted Aluminum! Just be patient for a week or 2 and I will have more info for you.
jim[/quote]

Thank you Jim !

eD

Hi eD,

You know your panels look very good already so I don't know if you need all this.

The place to get machine screws etc. is LL Industries in Terrebonne. You can reach them at 450-968-2228. They are very close to the 640, just google map them.

Call first to see if they have in stock and also tell them QTY you want because they will not break open a box for you sometimes. In other words you may have to buy 100 or 500 pcs depending on box qty. Basically they sell to machine shops so bring cash with you to pay.

Let me know how you do with them.

jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]Hi eD,

You know your panels look very good already so I don't know if you need all this.
[/quote]

Thank you... but It could be better...

Actually, I was just asking because the prices seemed to be very good.
I often miss(=destroy) the front panel during the metal work process, and the Raxxess are quite expensive... If I could get some already paint at good price, I would safe some time. Some money too.

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
The place to get machine screws etc. is LL Industries in Terrebonne. You can reach them at 450-968-2228. They are very close to the 640, just google map them.

Call first to see if they have in stock and also tell them QTY you want because they will not break open a box for you sometimes. In other words you may have to buy 100 or 500 pcs depending on box qty. Basically they sell to machine shops so bring cash with you to pay.

Let me know how you do with them.

jim[/quote]

Thank you very much for the info. I will keep you posted.

eD)))

[quote author="outoftune"]if you folks are still thinking of another meetup, i'd be interested.[/quote]

Yes yes yes !!!
The printemps is "almost" there, it's getting time !!!

We should do a meeting in May !! Let's fix a date !!!

mediumdiscofrog.gif

eD)))

Hi guys.
I'm ordering a case from RP electronics if anyone wants to join so we split shipping??
i'm ordering tomorrow so make fast!

evenings and weekends are good for me. pretty flexible...and i promise i'll show up this time...maybe with some donuts, or an equally delicious pastry!

also, i'd be meaning to mention...there are definitely a fair amount of people around in MTL who are interested in DIY electronics that aren't on this board. A friend and I organized a build your own FX pedal workshop and had 15 people at it! it was really fun and people seemed to enjoy themselves, lots of beginners.

we were fortunate to have it hosted by the kind mister dave from The Pines recording (a damn fine studio - http://www.thepinesrecording.com/ ) and we are hoping to have another one there sometime in May. It's pretty basic stuff and even an electronics chump like me can teach others how to build something simple. I'll post again on this board once we pin down a date for the next. I know most of you are way more advanced than that stuff but who can't use another pedal!!

I've met 3nity this afternoon... A very nice guy by the way ! :green: :thumb:

It was supposed to be an "in & out" for buying some stuff and finally, we've discussed until the evening about DIY, audio, acoustic...

I've realized a few things :

1) It's great to have the opportunity to discuss face to face with someone like you, I mean DIY-addicted :green: It's like participating at this forum, but 100 times faster !

2) We could save a lot of money by making group-buy purchases ! (Have you heard about the scandalous fees charged by Fedex, UPS, etc. ?)

3) We could save money and time by sharing informations about supplyers and ressources in Montreal or Quebec.

4) It's good to know someone we can call if we need help. It's good to have an external look sometimes...

5) We could exchange DIY gear for testing...

6) We could make comparaisons between preamps, compressors, DOA, etc.

7) We could share our tools : I could help with my press drill, I've Greenlee punches for the XLR Holes, some of us have oscilloscopes, or etching equipment, etc...

8) We could organize meeting with themes like : "trouble-shooting", "panel works", "circuit design", etc.

9) We could just have :sam: :guinness: :guinness: !!!

Come on guys ! Let's met and share our strengths !!!

WOULD THE 15TH OF MAY BE OK WITH YOU ? WHO IS IN ?

mediumdiscofrog.gif

eD)))

Hungarian (?) proverb: "everything has an end except a sausage which has two"

nice pic, wurst or worst??? haha, not enough fat on the speck and those potatoes need to cook for at least another hour :roll:

The skiing was sublime :twisted: switching trains in 2 minutes with skiis and business attire, not so much.

So I'm back...and 2 6pdt's short of finishing my NEQ.

CU Andy

[quote author="sysexguy"]Hungarian (?) proverb: "everything has an end except a sausage which has two"

nice pic, wurst or worst??? haha, not enough fat on the speck and those potatoes need to cook for at least another hour :roll:
[/quote]

:grin: I used the first pic I've found... Probably not the best one !

[quote author="sysexguy"]
So I'm back...and 2 6pdt's short of finishing my NEQ.
[/quote]

I can imagine the frustration... :wink:

I'm very close to make a Digikey order... If you haven't anything else to order and you don't want to pay $8 of shipping for two swiches I could add them to my order. I go to Val-Morin every week end, I could make a stop to Saint-Sauveur... just let me know...

eD)))

Hey Ed.
Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the messy room or studio.
For me Its great to talk with people like Jim or you Ed.
just to let you know i'm not a recording engineer or electronics egineer..so having a conversation with Jim or you is a huge step forward...both electronically or recording !!!

I'm home studio amateur so i have a lot of things to learn from you all guys.!
you all are a great source of knoledge!

3nity I'll gladly teach you the little I know in exchange for everything you know, 'cause yeah, you know a hell of a lot more!

Good that you guys got together. Slowly a clan is emerging.

May sounds good, lets keep in touch. How about meeting at Schwartz Smoke Meat? (Its just I love the food there and I never get to go!) :grin:

sysexguy - Are you doing a Neve EQ? Which one? 1073 or 1084? I am gathering parts for a 1084EQ. 3nity and me want to get a 1 PCB solution. Would love to see yours.

jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
May sounds good, lets keep in touch. How about meeting at Schwartz Smoke Meat? (Its just I love the food there and I never get to go!) :grin:

jim[/quote]

Jim, are you trying to ask a vegetarian to go at Swartz ??? :shock:

I would be happy to meet you, but maybe somewhere else... :wink:

eD)))

You could always just stick to the Pickle!

OK, no problem, lets find some place with both. How about a good Indian restaurant?

jim

Latest posts

Back