Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="3nity"]Hey Ed.
Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the messy room or studio.
[/quote]

Please don't worry about that ! I could teach you a lot about mess ! :wink:

[quote author="3nity"]
For me Its great to talk with people like Jim or you Ed.
just to let you know i'm not a recording engineer or electronics egineer..so having a conversation with Jim or you is a huge step forward...both electronically or recording !!!
[/quote]

You know a lot more in electronic than me !!!

Seems we have a lot of things to learn from each others !!! :green:

eD)))

[quote author="Bluzzi"]You could always just stick to the Pickle!
jim[/quote]

... And what about the smell ? :grin:

eD)))

EDIT : Indian is great !

sysexguy - Are you doing a Neve EQ? Which one? 1073 or 1084? I am gathering parts for a 1084EQ. 3nity and me want to get a 1 PCB solution. Would love to see yours.

Nope, the night EQ, I'm actually on a new project freeze because things are way out of hand....too many on the bench or in my wacked brain....but a 1084 would be NICE :twisted: ....no, freeze.

So far I've completed successfully a Bloo La-2, a D'Lite 22, Turretboards Supro24, a-z rebuild of an Ac-30, and several pedals. I have the NEQ and an 1176 that are close to done, a stack of Perusha cases...diy funk logic at this time LOL, a Mutron biphase and a 5e9 tremolux in various stages of .... semi non completion. Just the fedex brokerage fees for the parts are the gnp of a small country. :shock:

It would be great to meet (again), our last meeting was small but we really had a blast and we can all benefit by helping each other out.

Andy

...and I thought I took on too much!

I'm really interested in that Turretboards Supro24! He doesn't have the separate parts selling anymore it seems. I wanted to get only a few things from him. 'Love to try it out! You can try my Fender Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb or Bassman in turn! :thumb:

jim

[quote author="sysexguy"]
sysexguy - Are you doing a Neve EQ? Which one? 1073 or 1084? I am gathering parts for a 1084EQ. 3nity and me want to get a 1 PCB solution. Would love to see yours.

Nope, the night EQ, I'm actually on a new project freeze because things are way out of hand....too many on the bench or in my wacked brain....but a 1084 would be NICE :twisted: ....no, freeze.

So far I've completed successfully a Bloo La-2, a D'Lite 22, Turretboards Supro24, a-z rebuild of an Ac-30, and several pedals. I have the NEQ and an 1176 that are close to done, a stack of Perusha cases...diy funk logic at this time LOL, a Mutron biphase and a 5e9 tremolux in various stages of .... semi non completion. Just the fedex brokerage fees for the parts are the gnp of a small country. :shock:

It would be great to meet (again), our last meeting was small but we really had a blast and we can all benefit by helping each other out.

Andy[/quote]

Hi Bluzzi, sure anytime... or if we organize a meeting, I can bring it.

I got mine a la carte. Turretboards didn't have the sozo caps at the time and I did a few other substitutions....At the time, he was just making the transition to ampcabco for the box and I actually found them on my own. After I placed my order, they agreed to consolidate the 2 shipments to save $$$. It probably would have been cheaper to get the full kit + the extra parts in the long run. I see the turret board and the chassis still up on the site so you may have to negotiate for the transformers and everything else is easy to source. I put an Alien Transformer 20w GB clone in mine.

Andy

I think you can still get the parts individually but he doesn't advertise it anymore. I have a cabinet here for a 12inch that will do just great. Its actuall a real Fender cabinet (I have another 4 or 5 smaller ones...maybe good for a Fender Reverb clone)

Have you ever tried a Swart amp? Amazing amp! 20watts, Reverb, Tremolo, 12 inch but more than $1800.00!

If you guys want I can maybe have the meeting at my home studio. I'm in the West Island and there is a great Indian Restaurant nearby.

jim

[quote author="sysexguy"]Hi Bluzzi, sure anytime... or if we organize a meeting, I can bring it.

I got mine a la carte. Turretboards didn't have the sozo caps at the time and I did a few other substitutions....At the time, he was just making the transition to ampcabco for the box and I actually found them on my own. After I placed my order, they agreed to consolidate the 2 shipments to save $$$. It probably would have been cheaper to get the full kit + the extra parts in the long run. I see the turret board and the chassis still up on the site so you may have to negotiate for the transformers and everything else is easy to source. I put an Alien Transformer 20w GB clone in mine.

Andy[/quote]

Swarts are sweet, we're Valvetrain dealers which are awesome too and I got to hear a Tubewonder in Frankfurt :shock: Robin Leach would be lost for words, it's that rich....($ and sound)

meanwhile the Supro does something else that's very unique and really brings out the nuances in different guitars especially the less typical stuff (baritones/ 12 string electric etc.). Driven with the urso splinter which is a harmonic perculator clone (albini's fav) that didn't work with any other amp I have, the results are amazing. The trem is also dynamic so when the amp is slammed, there is barely any trem and then it blooms as the note decays....like a great opera singer.

Andy

OK, now you have my curiosity up. I'm normally not a pedal kind of guy (except for WahWah or Volume...boring eh?) but lately I've been listening to some sounds and I am not sure on how to get them other than with help of pedals/effects.

Really need to try that Supro man.

Maybe we can plug it in at the Indian Restaurant! :grin:

Andy, sounds like you have quite a collection of guitars and amps. (drool Emoticon would go here)

jim

[quote author="sysexguy"]Swarts are sweet, we're Valvetrain dealers which are awesome too and I got to hear a Tubewonder in Frankfurt :shock: Robin Leach would be lost for words, it's that rich....($ and sound)

meanwhile the Supro does something else that's very unique and really brings out the nuances in different guitars especially the less typical stuff (baritones/ 12 string electric etc.). Driven with the urso splinter which is a harmonic perculator clone (albini's fav) that didn't work with any other amp I have, the results are amazing. The trem is also dynamic so when the amp is slammed, there is barely any trem and then it blooms as the note decays....like a great opera singer.

Andy[/quote]

yup, I'm the pusher that smokes his profit :grin:
n606993063_430170_5895.jpg
The cheese fuzz that started it all the DIY. It's the tube sound fuzz from '77 guitar player mag. :green:

Andy

My first DIY was a simple Fuzz. It was so small I put it into my crap P.O.S. guitar that I had. I had to sell it to a friend who thought it was the coolest thing! Now that I think of it, it was!

jim

n606993063_817881_620.jpg

n606993063_817882_902.jpg

Still missing the dp6t switches and the LED's but both channels are otherwise working and sounding great. I had a nasty trace right underneath the 5534 and smoked a 22R but I had it back within an hour.

Vertiges, I may just take you up on your offer....the Air band is supposed to be the chestnut and I have to wait to hear it....but I must say I like the rest already.

Let's consider those black knobs temporary. Discobloud, if you're around, where did you get yours?

Andy

Hi andy,

Congratulations ! Another Night EQ is born ! :thumb:

Just a question : Did you put the power switch on the output of the power supply ? Shouldn't have you put it between the IEC and the Transformer ? I mean the way you did it, your trasformer is allways "on".

About my Digikey's order, I will place it probably next Tuesday. So it you gave me the # numbers I can add them to my order. Let me know. (You would have them the week-end of the 19th of April.)

eD)))

[quote author="Bluzzi"]

If you guys want I can maybe have the meeting at my home studio. I'm in the West Island and there is a great Indian Restaurant nearby.[/quote]

that sounds like a good plan to me...is it possible to get there on public transit? i gots no car...

also, does anyone have a good lead on the alpha/taiwan rotary switches in canada (or somewhere without lame brokerage fees)? i need a couple 2 X 12 rotarys for the SSL9K.

[quote author="Bluzzi"]

If you guys want I can maybe have the meeting at my home studio. I'm in the West Island and there is a great Indian Restaurant nearby.
[/quote]

Thank you Bluzzi !!!

I've got 4 places in my car if some people interested !! :wink:

eD)))

I can also provide a lift to someone, if needed.

Vertiges, yup I'm switching the DC.....the net effect is similar to, say my Kurzweil Rumour with the wall wart. Anyway, I think a power switch on a signal processor is dumb unless it's tube based and not used all the time....especially if it's right next to the bypass button.....not tweeter friendly :oops:

Also, bringin the AC to the front means that the EQsum from ONE channel gets within a centimetre of the AC line...so that was my reasoning.

As for safety, it's fused, it's grounded and the whole studio is balanced (power) so typical power switches on the hot leg are BS anyway...and it's not for sale.

Andy

[quote author="sysexguy"]. Anyway, I think a power switch on a signal processor is dumb unless it's tube based and not used all the time...[/quote]

Unless, you haven't got the air conditioning in your control room like me... :wink:

Also, bringin the AC to the front means that the EQsum from ONE channel gets within a centimetre of the AC line...so that was my reasoning.
[/quote]

Maybe maybe...

EDIT : I was thinking about that all this afternoon... I'm very close to finish mine too. I've checked and found a lot of pics of finished NIGHT EQ, the AC line is often very close to the right channel. It doesn't seem to be a problem. Anyway, I'll see with mine version.
As for safety, it's fused, it's grounded and the whole studio is balanced (power) so typical power switches on the hot leg are BS anyway...and it's not for sale.
[/quote]

:green: :thumb:

EDIT : The principal is the safety, and you're right a lot of equipement stay "on" all the time.

Good unit the Rumour !! I've got his brother the Mangler !!

EDIT : The ADDA convertors are splendid ! In the past, I often used my Mangler only as AD convertor.

eD)))

How about Saturday April 26th at my place?

Do you guys want to do Indian before or after the meeting?
For me its better to meet, lets say around 2 to 3 PM and then go for supper.
(I'm not sure if the restaurant opens in the afternoon but I'll find out).

jim

Latest posts

Back