Neve 80 series Console Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic, fantastic work Rem. Thank you for posting!   

Some serious lifeforce transmutation going on there.  8)

remsouille said:
You might want to google HAL9000 ;)
It is on by default and turns off when solo is engaged!

The studio design is definitely a sustained nod to the late 60' and 70' sci-fi Aesthetic! I mostly had Star Wars and a bit of 2001 in mind. HAL9000 came in later, but he's present and every room now.
I just did a quick video of the whole control room so whoever's interested can see what it's all about
https://youtu.be/MN3sSQiR1fs

As you can see, I still have to extend my rack to host the newly built 14 row b -gauge patch and converters, and I previously had JBL 4310s in the sofits, but I didn't use them at all, so I eventually sold them and will ultimately fill those big ugly holes!
Thanks! Actually, that tiny bit is from a 20 minute song that I'm working on with a band called Last Train. Truly epic song, with lots of different vibes, big string session and all!  I've already done a bunch of records with them, the latest came out in late 2019. We had tracked the basics live in the room at Ocean Sound in Norway, on the first ever built RND Shelford console. It was later overdubbed and mixed at my place!
I strongly recommend you guys check out the tune below. It is an 11minute piece that the band recorded live on the studio floor in one attempt (meaning they played the song just once in the studio, no edits, no nothing), onto a Studer 2" 8 track tape machine. Amazing musicianship, and they're young!
There were overdubs obviously, but not so many: lead vocals, big string section and one or two extra guitars. All the solos are live. For rock lovers out here, do yourself a favour, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yyEsRhZTg

Been following this thread absolutely incredible. I just Listened to the Track "Last train" man what an amazing track. The Drum sound is honestly the best I may have ever heard! Love it !!

80hinhiding said:
We all hear things so much differently, wow.  First I don't like the song/track/performance much at all, so I guess I'm biased and makes my opinion either more objective or more skewed (who knows), but I felt the drums were a weak spot and need quite a bit of work.  I could go on about other things too but then I might look like sour apple... I'll end 'positive,' there's a dramatic climax in the song where there's a pretty cool display of creative guitar work.  And the part coming down the mountain (after the climax) I thought was nice.

Well, like you said, you can't please everyone! But I do get a lot of compliments for that drum sound, probably because it doesn't sound "worked"! It's just a great drummer playing a great kit, captured with great mics into a great board, a great compressor and then a great tape machine. But then even if you love that approach, you can not like that particular sound and that's totally cool! That's the beauty  of our job!

remsouille said:
I strongly recommend you guys check out the tune below. It is an 11minute piece that the band recorded live on the studio floor in one attempt (meaning they played the song just once in the studio, no edits, no nothing), onto a Studer 2" 8 track tape machine. Amazing musicianship, and they're young!
There were overdubs obviously, but not so many: lead vocals, big string section and one or two extra guitars. All the solos are live. For rock lovers out here, do yourself a favour, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yyEsRhZTg

Hey .... Love the sound.
This must make the effort you have made building your studio feel worth it.
Wonderful, inspiring.

I would hate to see them treating your gear the way they are throwing their guitars around though !!!

remsouille said:
Well, like you said, you can't please everyone! But I do get a lot of compliments for that drum sound, probably because it doesn't sound "worked"! It's just a great drummer playing a great kit, captured with great mics into a great board, a great compressor and then a great tape machine. But then even if you love that approach, you can not like that particular sound and that's totally cool! That's the beauty  of our job!

Well, my opinion on the drums, for what it's worth: I liked it. Sounded very Bonham-esque to me, powerful.  I almost expected to hear that famous shuffle of his when the tempi/time signature changes :)  . 
I've no problem with mono.  I've no problem with Bonham either -  I played in his son Jason's band for about 3 years, and I got to know the late Andy Johns who recorded Bonham Snr more times than anyone.
Your drums sounded great man!

Winston O'Boogie said:
Well, my opinion on the drums, for what it's worth: I liked it. Sounded very Bonham-esque to me, powerful.  I almost expected to hear that famous shuffle of his when the tempi/time signature changes :)  . 
I've no problem with mono.  I've no problem with Bonham either -  I played in his son Jason's band for about 3 years, and I got to know the late Andy Johns who recorded Bonham Snr more times than anyone.
Your drums sounded great man!

Thank you so much, man! Yes, definitely a strong bonzo vibe on this one..
Boys, you must have some stories to tell..

remsouille said:
Thank you so much, man! Yes, definitely a strong bonzo vibe on this one..
Boys, you must have some stories to tell..

My stories are nothing compared to the ones Andy would tell  ;)

Anyway, I bet he'd have thought your drum sound is 'the business'

Winston O'Boogie said:
My stories are nothing compared to the ones Andy would tell  ;)

Winston O'Boogie said:
I played in his son Jason's band for about 3 years, and I got to know the late Andy Johns who recorded Bonham Snr more times than anyone.

;D ;D ;D

I would love to hear some of those stories, I would bet they're unbelievable.

It's great that you got to meet Andy Johns and played with Jason.

I'm a huge fan of Andy Johns work, the work he did with Led Zeppelin is outstanding

80hinhiding said:
Allow me to introduce you to John Bonham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-42mu1D9Y

Both the player and the sound/mix from that Last Train song is nothing like this, if you can't hear it, that's on you.  A little bit of critique doesn't hurt you know, it should push you a little harder.

Jason is nothing like John either.

Your opinion Adam.  Worth as much as mine.  Not sure what exactly you're critiquing, or why. Or on this thread.    Maybe my ears?  My opinion? Taste? Jason?  I can't help you if it's some of that stuff as there's no right or wrong answer.

On Jason:
Pretty much anyone who saw the O2 Arena gig said Jason did a pretty good job.  The earlier 'reunion' gig  for Atlantic in the late '80's, not so much.  But neither were Jimmy, John, and Robert on form that day either.
Being a very old friend of mine - going back to 1985 - he made me proud watching the O2 gig anyway.  I'm not saying he was John, but so what.

You're opinion as to any similarity with John is at odds with Jimmy Page though.  Jimmy stood side stage, 2 feet from me, almost every night of a tour we did with The Firm watching Jason play.  Also came to watch him/us at Reading Rock Festival.    He's wanted Jason to join Zeppelin ever since.
If it weren't for Robert mostly not being interested in doing Zeppelin again (fair enough), it would have happened. 

As for comparing the mix of the track Remi played, I never said it sounded like John, I said the drum sound was Bonham-esque.  Powerful.  That I thought it sounded great.  That I had no problem with it being mono.  That Andy (another friend) would probably have thought it 'the business'.  That's all.

This sort of stuff happening in this the thread is a shame.

Back to the desk Remi built.  Possibly the fastest solo built Neve type desk in history too.

Kudos.

Winston O'Boogie said:
You're opinion as to any similarity with John is at odds with Jimmy Page though.  Jimmy stood side stage, 2 feet from me, almost every night of a tour we did with The Firm watching Jason play.  Also came to watch him/us at Reading Rock Festival. 

WOW, I'm jealous.

What was that band called?

80hinhiding said:
I gave him my compliments on the desk, and he said the band was great this, great that, I wanted to push him to improve.  He took it in stride.

He didn't need your hugs or all the name dropping you've done.  I emailed you a couple hours ago to keep this private, but I could do a bunch of name dropping too.

This thread was about the console and the music being made, and the sound of it, and the sound of his mixes, etc etc. etc. 

It's good not to get too caught up in what you've already done and thinking it's already the best it can be.

I expect you'll be back to tell us what Andy Johns would think about this post too.  Geez, how lame.

I could point out a bunch of stuff that could be improved, but I'm not going to bother because you guys think it's already the best.  That's life, and knock yourselves out.

Adam

Hey 80hinhiding, Chill Out!

This is not the Gearslutz forum

80hinhiding said:
He didn't need your hugs or all the name dropping you've done. 

It's good not to get too caught up in what you've already done and thinking it's already the best it can be.

I expect you'll be back to tell us what Andy Johns would think about this post too.  Geez, how lame.

I'm sorry you feel that way. 

I've very rarely checked my email in months. 

No one here is stopping you from doing whatever it is you think they could be doing better.

Go for it. 

Ciao.

Edit:  Rather than clutter up Remi's thread any more, please start a thread in the brewery for the purpose of personal attacks if it makes you feel better. 

Adam,
other than the first post of yours here where you said "Hi" and I responded in kind, none of my posts until my last response were directed at you.  I was responding to Remi about
people saying his drum sound has been liked by others.  I  was giving my opinion that I liked it too.   

Clearly you've taken this personally, although I still fail to see why.

No, I shan't be answering your email as life is about more than arguing opinions about audio gear or drummers, or whatever else is your beef with me.
And you've already said your piece so why do I need to read more of it?

If you've got something else to say, say it in The Brewery or start your own thread in the appropriate section about your mixer build or the music you've recorded.

Winston O'Boogie said:
P.S.  Kudos to Sasarist in Serbia too  :)
Tnx mate , we just fallow the footsteps of this crazy Franch boy.
Its just so fanny , that eather me or Remi , are not a tech guys.
Btw , I love Remi drum sound to , kick to die for.

I'm happy with everyone's opinion. If I was thinking that I couldn't improve, I wouldn't be posting that stuff on this forum or anywhere. I wouldn't even be doing this job, or at least I wouldn't last very long doing it. I will just say that I think we've all here been in this line of work long enough to aknowledge the fact that anything professional (meaning professional musicians working with professional producers/engineers) that's coming out can be considered a finished body of art, and that saying it can be improved is kind of irrelevant and pointless. Go tell Metallica that the drum sound on St Anger could be improved. It can't. It might be shitty, you might not like it but it's exactly the way they wanted it to be.
I think we've all said what we had to, so yeah, let's not turn this place into another Gearslutz and move on!

Well that's the Internet for ya. Sad.

I don't see how you could be improving anything. Just keep doing what you're doing and ignore the jealous children.

That room is crazy sweet. I just hope there's a bathroom nearby because I'd have to pee every time I walked in there.

Back