Neve 80 series Console Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Yes, I just mentioned it so you could see how it could still be done passively if you wanted to.

Cheers

ian

Indeed I see! Thanks Ian! Going passive was my first intention, but as things went on, I figured it would be great to add a little spice in here! A bit more of a challenge for me, and hopefully I'll learn a bit more in the process!

I should get the BA283 cards any day now, and I just ordered the parts for them from Mouser. I also ordered a bunch of NOS Motorola 3055s. Those may not make a difference, but well.. at least the markings look cooler  8) I have yet to decide whether I'll be using BC184Cs or a substitute.. I had a nightmare episode with MSPA18s in my 6x1290 build a couple of years back... Things went back to normal when I swapped them for 184s... (yes, the MSPAs where reversed)... that puzzle is yet to be sold...

I still need to figure out what is going to happen between the input transformers and the BA283 cards.. There is so much to learn..

Ok here's a little update!
I'm almost done with the BA283 cards, thanks to Avdo for the PCB's and API for the support and heatsinks!
Eciuk03.jpg

d3w6cMn.jpg

I'm still missing the 4K7/5K trimmer, actually I'm having a hard time finding one that fits the board. I'm open to suggestions on this  ;)

Today, I started work on the buss bars (Stereo out, 2 cues and PFL).  Next step is ordering the feed thru insulating terminals!
5UJyQkF.jpg

Today, I finished the bussbars! Quite fun to build!
uTlE4zE.jpg

FuhSbE2.jpg

ekaUReT.jpg

AGXuLQm.jpg

I also drew up the routing panel layout, based off the 1883, but with only two busses and two cue sends:
R1vx8ML.jpg

Hi guys, quick update as I just started working on the frames that will hold the BA283 cards with their inductor load:
myz5eg7.jpg

I also got my 1520 faders from Dan Alexander. I had to clean them inside out and they're all smooth now, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the top plates, as they're not all matched. Some are glossy, some are matte, some even look purple-ish. Maybe I'll manufacture some new ones, we'll see!
gYTIMD3.jpg

Hey guys!
Quick update, this project is not dead at all, as a matter of fact it is more alive than ever! The routing modules are being built right now, and I'll be starting the metal work in january, I'll keep you posted with pictures asap!!
Rémi

Hey guys!
Since this is a pretty big project,  I teamed up with  our fellow groupdiyer Sasarist, whose company Beebird is helping me with the pcb design, assembly and metalwork for the modules. Big thanks to him, his contribution is invaluable!

To stay true to the neve design, we finally decided to stick to the original 1883 schematic, with two gain stages but only two groups and two auxes. We also decided to make it all on a single pcb with a card edge connector.  It makes for a much easier build, kind of like a 500 series module, with the pcb and transformers attached to a metal L-bracket.
The face plates are ready and look absolutely gorgeous:
vU5PJ99.jpg

More info on the pcb design very soon...

remsouille said:
Hey guys!
Since this is a pretty big project,  I teamed up with  our fellow groupdiyer Sasarist, whose company Beebird is helping me with the pcb design, assembly and metalwork for the modules. Big thanks to him, his contribution is invaluable!

To stay true to the neve design, we finally decided to stick to the original 1883 schematic, with two gain stages but only two groups and two auxes. We also decided to make it all on a single pcb with a card edge connector.  It makes for a much easier build, kind of like a 500 series module, with the pcb and transformers attached to a metal L-bracket.
The face plates are ready and look absolutely gorgeous:
vU5PJ99.jpg

More info on the pcb design very soon...

W  O  W    :eek:

Nicely done! If you plan to do a production run, it would be such a blessing. I could use about thirty or so of these units.

Wow, great work!! Cant wait for your updates. Now I want to start the same Project  ::) But I should stickt to some more beginner friendly Projects  :p Just finished two Soundskulptor EQ's..

Crazy , Super Nice , great work!!    :eek: :eek: :eek:
Cant wait for your updates !!
Now I want to start similarProject  ……...

Back