new black market is boring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BM of old was like a yard sale.  You had to dig in a little and occasionally you found some real gems buried in a list of crap.  There was a thrill to seeing a new post with a big list of things, I really enjoyed visiting even if I had no intention of buying anything.  Coming from the other side of things as a seller, I can imagine it's easier to part with a bunch of little odds and ends if you don't have to create a separate listing for each one/group.

The new system is much better suited for high-end items, where the high value creates a need for that level of oversight.  It's actually really useful for that purpose and well designed.  But for your standard moving sale of old XFo's, knobs, connectors, I think that is much better suited for the old style of BM. 

I propose we keep the new system and let the Free Market revert back to the old BM, which would probably make everyone happy...  I think that could be a fair compromise.

I agree with most of the posts here.

Facebook is in danger of steering too far away from its core functionality, and Prodigy Pro might be too. There are things about a site that attract people in the first place, and its important never to lose that IMO. This is meant to be a DIY site, and so certain elements of it should remain user driven. Its such a shame that the black market changed. it was cool

millzners said:
I propose we keep the new system and let the Free Market revert back to the old BM, which would probably make everyone happy...  I think that could be a fair compromise.

I agree with Millzner .... Millzner for President

If it were to happen, what, old style for items under a certain price, and new style for items over?

I think only one non commercial market will work.  People already do not go to the new one as is.  Why would they suddenly start going with two markets in place?  And with the old BM in place, where everybody wants to go - what use is it to have and maintain the one that nobody even wants?  And why would someone place an ad in the one that nobody goes to?  It will be too confusing IMO.

On the subject of high end items, it's pretty well known that people around here tend not to ever spend on the high side for anything, and besides, why separate based on cost?

For auction only I can see some validity there, but to avoid taking a total loss the seller will always set the starting bid at or near their minimum, and buyer savvy will keep the window small.  Would taking offers in old BM not accomplish the same thing? 

I don't think you should divy it up to make some kind of compromise...just bring back the old with a bit of the new, if necessary.

didnt this all start because someone was QQ-ing about a deal gone sour?  Id say bring the old way back as long as everyone understads that its an "AT YOUR OWN RISK" kinda thing and not piss and moan when someone shafts you.

It always was  " at your own risk " 
I think some people - including myself - thought a sticky of unresolved deals was a reasonable idea
so whoever the offenders were couldn't sucker other people at the same time , I presume that's the idea
of a rating, but it's not the same .

I would guess Ethan would have to make the changes.  But If i were in his position, i would probably be reluctant to because of the work that went into changing it over the first time, and the posting now is an income source for the forum.

Ethan has said it's not about the income, it's about the sense of security that was asked for, a token gatekeeper to police participation in the trading area.  At any rate, I see 100 $1 listings in a forum of that requires server space and bandwidth to support 11,500 members and unknown guest traffic, so I don't think it counts much as 'income'.  Those 100 listings, and any others, renew and extend upon request, with no other fees. 

The majority of the argument seems to be about form factor.  It's an adjustment. 

IMO the security is somewhat of an illusion.  User Feedback ratings serve a decent job of informing on reliability but no real protection of a wolf or bust in waiting.  Banning takes care of future crimes and banning can be done under any format.  Grapevine takes care of a lot of informing.  When somebody does something outrageous there's usually a big thread for everyone to see, and lots more tends to be revealed in open discussion than in simple two point rating systems.

Agreed, but a token $1 keeps the hit and run scammers from joining, posting, stealing, running away.  We didn't have much of that, but there was some.  Mostly it was people who built up the cover of a presence, hit hard times, robbed a bunch of people, and vanished.  You still see some of them on other forums, but never again here. 

Will never be settled to anyone's satisfaction.....

emrr said:
Ethan has said it's not about the income, it's about the sense of security that was asked for, a token gatekeeper to police participation in the trading area.  At any rate, I see 100 $1 listings in a forum of that requires server space and bandwidth to support 11,500 members and unknown guest traffic, so I don't think it counts much as 'income'.  Those 100 listings, and any others, renew and extend upon request, with no other fees. 

The majority of the argument seems to be about form factor.  It's an adjustment.
Doesn't that 100/11500+ figure tell you something ?. The new market is as dead as a dead dingo's donger. People just can't be bothered using it. The old system used to be quite well patronised and an interesting place to rummage. If money is the issue then lets all send Ethan $10 just to not have to deal with the "new improved" format. It would be worth it.
M
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Confirmation number:  16945574SM6898605
Donation amount:  $10.00 USD
Total:  $10.00 USD
Purpose:  GroupDIY.com
Contributor:  Mike Diack

Ive used the new format, (with no results) and yeah.... id pitch in to just be able to rummage through everyones leftovers.  If Ethan is around reading this, perhaps you could chime in?

mobyd said:
Confirmation number:  16945574SM6898605
Donation amount:  $10.00 USD
Total:  $10.00 USD
Purpose:  GroupDIY.com
Contributor:  Mike Diack

Now that's called putting your money where your mouth is. Good on you!

For what it's worth, I'm happy to donate some bucks too if it means bringing back from the dead the black market of old.

Perhaps..... as bizarre a comment as this may be....any money gathered could go to a kitty for compensating legitimate members who've been/get ripped off. Not really sure how this idea could work or whether its the stupidest comment I have ever made here,  but it's just a thinking outside the box comment I have in the hope of offering some inducement to bring the old system back.

Well, I don't think it'd be possible to help the people who were ripped off by suckers - just exercise caution as with any other internet commerce. A sticky with scammers list and brief description of their deeds would be great though.
+1 vote for the old style BM, there may be nothing wrong with the new one, but it does, indeed, look dead.
I agree with the comment on how the old BM was more like garage sale - fun to look through, whether people trying to unload junk or sell something at 2x ebay going price - all good, clean fun...
;D

Latest posts

Back