New CK12 capsule measurements

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that just depends where one decides to draw the line between what a clone is or isn't 🤷‍♂️

How many of those Epiphones have identical pickups to their corresponding Gibson counterparts? And how much of that distinction is informed by confirmation bias, and/or just production tolerances? 😁
(Heard plenty of stories, admittedly anecdotal, where Epiphone QC / fit & finish was actually better than Gibsons)

Simply knowing one's an Epiphone vs a Gibson will, in probably the vast majority of cases, instill ego-driven(?) prejudice... Won't it?
According to the dictionary a clone is "an identical copy"... meaning one can not distinguish the original from the clone both in aesthetics AND behaviour. No line drawing option, no opinions. The answer to your question is no: it's not a clone.
If the above criteria are not matched then we need to think in terms of "copy", more or less faithful to the original.

Hi, guys.

I've got new CK12 replica capsule from Alex, Xingde Audio.
(I call it CK12 Ver2.)

I install to my modded APEX460 same as fox audio research did it.

I tested these capsules.
・CK12 Ver1 (received in July)
・CK12 Ver2 (received in August)
・OPRCk12 (reference)

and I used AML ez1084-500→RME Fireface UCX.

here's my sound sample (same mic gain on preamp, 35db):
Listen to Ck12 Ver1 test by Kagaboo on #SoundCloud
Ck12 Ver1 test
Listen to Ck12 Ver2 test by Kagaboo on #SoundCloud
Ck12 Ver2 test
Listen to OPRck12 test by Kagaboo on #SoundCloud
OPRck12 test
At first, CK12 Ver1 is not sounds like CK12.
It's more like M7 or K47 capsule but sounds stiff.

Second, CK12 Ver2 is more closer than OPRCk12.
less mids and more clarity than CK12 Ver1.
sounds improved but I need more airy top.

Last, OPRck12, no need to talk about it. I can feel vintage vibe.
smooth mids and airy sound.

I also attached the spectrum.
from spectrum, Ver2 has bit of gain on low frequency (100~150Hz). This feels sounds little stiff.(I think)

on midrange, Ver2 can captures clear sound. but OPRck12 has more gain on 1.6~1.7kHz. this makes smooth sound.(I think)

on high frequency, Ver2 need more gain on 11.5~14.5kHz. more airy sounds.(also my opinion)

What do you think about it?
I think Xingde Audio improved bad CK12.
CK12 Ver2 is now better choice to diy usage (1pcs:120USD).

I need you guys comment...

P.S. sorry about my bad English...I'm not native English speaker.

Attachments

• c12_ver2.png
    c12_ver2.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
  • OPRck12.png
    OPRck12.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I need you guys comment...
Quite often, in that type of comparison I can't hear any dignificant difference, but here, yes, I hear it. However, IMO, nothing that can't be resolved with minor EQ.
Most of the times, a vocal track must be EQ'ed in order to stand in a mix, to a point that the minor differences between mics are imperceptible.
Again, IMO.
P.S. sorry about my bad English...I'm not native English speaker.
No problem. Many members are not either. We usually manage...:)

Last edited:
Quite often, in that type of comparison I can't hear any dignificant difference, but here, yes, I hear it. However, IMO, nothing that can't be resolved with minor EQ.
Most of the times, a vocal track must be EQ'ed in order to stand in a mix, to a point that the minor differences between mics are imperceptible.
Again, IMO.

No problem. Many members are not either. We usually manage...:)
Thank you, abbey.
The quality of the capsule is inconsistent even the factory has quality controlled.

New CK12 capsule from Xingde Audio is really nice for the price.
For microphone DIYer, this will good choice.

And OPR's CK12, it's perfect. Nothing to say any complaints.
If you guys want to make perfect DIY project, this is for you.

I also tested other CK12 inspired capsule from Takstar and 797audio.
but I think it's off topic.

I wouldn't say it's worth anything unless you are me and are willing to spend whole weekend on re-skin, re-tuning, and gambling. There's shipping and tax that comes on top of the price. Honestly i am a very DIY guy that likes tinkering, if someone gave me like 20 of these for free i would just give them away. No point in sharing audio samples, stock capsule is unusable. I am so frustrated with these, so close but so far from what they're supposed to be.
Hey! Is that it concerning the New Chinese C12 copy? No more fights?
Is the controversy of the year and locked threads (at least one) due to members misbehaving done?

A supplier in China assures me that the problems have been solved. Uhhmm?
And I'm glad to see that Tim C. despite the prophets of doom, has not "melted away".
If you ever need a drummer Tim, call me please, I'm in the EU Ok ;)

Second generation coming.
What do you say people?
M

Hey! Is that it concerning the New Chinese C12 copy? No more fights?
Is the controversy of the year and locked threads (at least one) due to members misbehaving done?

A supplier in China assures me that the problems have been solved. Uhhmm?
And I'm glad to see that Tim C. despite the prophets of doom, has not "melted away".
If you ever need a drummer Tim, call me please, I'm in the EU Ok ;)

Second generation coming.
What do you say people?
M
Anyone ready to pull the trigger and trust the claim? When i ordered and paid for the capsules i was lead to believe this was a finished product. Like many others.

What's the actual price of the capsule? According to Ali, it's in the range of existing, well proven ones. Is it worth to take the chance?

Even if they nailed the specs, can we be sure QC will be good enough having in mind how fiddly the tuning is?

I know i'm probably among minority here, but i don't mind arguments. They push us hopefully out of comfort zone, and lead to better products?

Some "manufacturers" got angry at me for calling them out, moved away from the forum, still sell crapy capsules other places. Some took the challenge and made some amazing products.

Last edited:
kingkorg is a long-time heavy contributor here. I trust his opinions. He’s all about reasonably-priced high-quality and not for paying for a name. If he’s not happy with it, I’m not trying it until a plethora of others with plenty of experience say it’s great. He probably will again too if that ever happens. For now, I’m still sticking with Campbell, Beesneez, and OPR for CK12-types.

I don't think I could use them but they're not a million miles from some Western clones.

I still haven't heard a more realistic one than a Haun.

I got a pair V2 of them the last week check out as soon as possible these Alex capsules. Unfortunately I still haven't received the Beesneez I ordered, let alone an answer for weeks.. it does not start well with me... Since I'm currently building two identical 414EB's with Moby's Ü54 and really nice parts, two missing Toshibas 2SK30-O Fets, I could compare these two capsules (at least with my very modest euipment) reasonably well. I also have a newer C414 XL2 lying around to compare and tons of good preamps. My Austrian Audio X65 headphones don't actually lie either and at the end I want excellent sounding Mics....
But I have to say one thing about Alex capsules, they really look great. Wow. And at the price, you can't go too far wrong - about $120 pp. So I think it is a little bit overdrawn / overheated discussion about a new seller. And the contact? Very good, immediate response - unlike some others I never got an answer. 3U will also be soon at the start, I'm looking forward to it - he said next month or so 😎..., I personally appreciate 3U Parts, he is a really good guy...

Attachments

• PXL_20230821_122232693.jpg
    PXL_20230821_122232693.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230821_122219464.jpg
    PXL_20230821_122219464.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230821_122147221.jpg
    PXL_20230821_122147221.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230821_122134647.jpg
    PXL_20230821_122134647.jpg