Old AKG C3000 (released in 1993) with Dual Real Condenser Capsules..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commanderberti

have anybody a picture from this dual capsule, any information about capsule voltage, uF value, schematic with values of the electronic components ?! thanks for any info

As desribed in another thread, the original 1993 C3000 had two capsules, a miniature electret omni and a large hypercardioid. Switching from hyper to cardioid activated the omni which nulled the rear lobe of the hyper to produce the cardioid pattern.

As desribed in another thread, the original 1993 C3000 had two capsules, a miniature electret omni and a large hypercardioid. Switching from hyper to cardioid activated the omni which nulled the rear lobe of the hyper to produce the cardioid pattern.

ein

have you a link to the other thread? the large capsule is a real condenser?

https://groupdiy.com/threads/akg-c3000b-5-min-mod-awesome-mic.67911/page-7

Not certain, but the current consensus seems to be that the large capsule in the '93 C3000 was externally polarized (the small capsule, an electret), and only the C 3000 B had an electret large diaphragm cardioid capsule.

I try to get folks out of the habit of using the term "real" condenser because it's erroneous and leads to confusing discussions. Both electret and externally polarized condensers are "real" condensers, and there many examples of high quality SDCs and LDCs that are electret.

I think i might have what would appear to be the schematic for the first C3000 - at least it contains a "kugel" ("ball", ie. omni electret) connection and a "hyperniere" (hypercardioid) connection.
so i think if voltage internal is 12v ... the hyperniere has 0,5v palarisation ?! (560k -27K)

have anybody a picture from this dual capsule, any information about capsule voltage, uF value, schematic with values of the electronic components ?! thanks for any info

Yes I have several ..I'll dig out one or two. It's not the usual 'dual capsule' back-to-back arrangement; it's a tiny circular electret above a larger electret.

1st pic shows the three red rear switches, which distinguish this mic from the later (so-called) C3000s, and the old-style logo of three intersecting cardioid symbols. The 2nd pic shows the internals of two of the original C3000s, with the extra teeny top-most electret.

( EDIT: Sorry about that; I uploaded the same pic twice in a rush to go out with my sone to see 'Poor Things'. Er, shouldn't have bothered! ..Needs an hour trimming off, and Hanna Schygulla & Willem Dafoe seemed to be the only ones who could actually act! )

Attachments

• 2xAKGC3000 copy_opt.jpg
    2xAKGC3000 copy_opt.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • AKGinternals copy_opt.jpg
    AKGinternals copy_opt.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1st pic shows the three red rear switches, which distinguish this mic from the later (so-called) C3000s, and the old-style logo of three intersecting cardioid symbols. The 2nd pic shows the internals of two of the original C3000s, with the extra teeny top-most electret.

Both seem to be the same photo?

Ja, ich habe mehrere .. Ich werde ein oder zwei ausgraben. Es handelt sich nicht um die übliche "Doppelkapsel"-Anordnung Rücken an Rücken; Es ist ein winziges kreisförmiges Elektret über einem größeren Elektret.

Das 1. Bild zeigt die drei roten Schalter auf der Rückseite, die dieses Mikrofon von den späteren (sogenannten) C3000s unterscheiden, und das altmodische Logo von drei sich kreuzenden Nierensymbolen. Das 2. Bild zeigt das Innenleben von zwei der originalen C3000, mit dem extra klitzekleinen obersten Elektret.
h Tbo
Yes I have several ..I'll dig out one or two. It's not the usual 'dual capsule' back-to-back arrangement; it's a tiny circular electret above a larger electret.

are both capsules Elektret ?

As an aside, the published pattern for the original C3000 shows it to be much closer to a supercardioid than a classic hypercardioid; that rear lobe is pretty small.

Attachments

• c3000.gif
    c3000.gif
    609 KB · Views: 0
Are you sure?

The schem in post #6 seems to show polarization voltage applied to the hyper capsule via a 3.3 gig resistor.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure, as I've run these off AKG's own (old) 9v PP3 battery inline power supply (I have six of these (6x AKG C3000) and the specs in the 1997 AKG catalogue says, and I quote.. "POWER REQUIREMENT: 9·52V phantom power to DIN 45596".

(Possible correction: probably the 1979 catalogue.)

See attached..

Attachments

• akg 1997.pdf
    16.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, I'm absolutely sure, as I've run these off AKG's own (old) 9v PP3 battery inline power supply (I have six of these (6x AKG C3000) and the specs in the 1997 AKG catalogue says, and I quote.. "POWER REQUIREMENT: 9·52V phantom power to DIN 45596".

See attached..
It needs phantom for the electronics to work; doesn't mean the large capsule is an electret.

Part of that circuit may be multiplying the 9v to something higher. If it's an electret, I can't think what that 3.3 gig resistor feeding voltage to the capsule would be for. I suppose it's possible that it is an electret, and they're feeding some voltage to it to increase it's sensitivity.

Last edited:
Back