Pultec 500 - Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 -- VPR APPROVED -- **2nd Unit Ships FREE**

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I really wanted to have something concrete to tell you guys when I wrote.    Some things have arrived, the iron is in the works, but the pots and switches are backed up a bit.  I won't tell you the original delivery date for those because you'll have a heart attack, I was waiting for confirmation on a new date, and found out yesterday that the pots will arrive third week of Feb, and I was told I'd have a sure answer from GH by Thursday.  I do expect the switches a bit sooner, now as long as everyone else keeps to the dates promised, we should be shipping mid-end of February.

Tomorrow, Niels is going to the metal house to check out a proto faceplate / bracket they made, to ensure fit. The whole run only takes a day or two for them to make so it's well on time.

What else? The trafo design took a lot longer than expected to finalize, that's another thing.. We made some changes (for the better of course!).  We decided that instead of offering them as 150,600:150,600 they'll be 600 only on the primary (everything still wound as normal, just all the extra windings/taps are not pulled out cuz they won't be used anyway), and 250,600 on the secondary, since, on the original pultec the output HS56 was run backwards as 250:600, or about 1:1.55 ratio.  All this means that we're able to keep the trafo wiring original with 2 less wires to solder, so I'm happy!

More news to come soon. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Hey guys, I said I'd have some more news, took a bit longer to respond, but I'm happy to say the inductors should be finished very soon and I think people will be happy. They seem to be very consistent between individual coils, part of that is the matched cores, the other part is the tweaking we've been doing to the winding (I've been emailing back and forth with the winder at least 10 times a day since last week). Can't wait to get my hands on these!

The metal prototype sled fit perfectly, we're hoping to have news on anodizing soon. 

Trafos... since we have time before the pots and switches arrive, we decided to make one last prototype pair using just the taps mentioned above, to ensure they are perfect.  they should be arriving this week, and as soon as they're tested I'll let you guys know the results....

thanks everyone!

Closer and closer of the day my postman will be like the messiah ;) (another time)
Can't wait to hear about your tests!!
Thanks again for the opportunity.

Is there any kits left? Or was it just preorder?
I'm saving up for a couple of good eq's, but can't afford it until late Feb.

Time for an update I guess!  We had some setbacks with the final trafo prototypes (ran out of bobbins) which put us back a week. We did get the final inductor production samples in the meantime (so far they are within +/-3%, I had hoped for +/-2% but still very good). We are waiting on the final trafo prototypes (in the mail already) so we can do a final test on everything on the final PCB just to make absolutely sure everything is OK.

The color scheme, has changed. There will be no more blue but I'm sure most will not be sad about that! Basically, we were afraid of getting a wrong color clue, so in the end, we decided to stick to the original color scheme, that is silver face and black knobs/legending.  The knobs will be the same, just black with white line, the face is brushed and clear anodized. Sled and trafo holders are done, faceplates are anodized and in the process of getting legending done.  As soon as they're in I can post some pics for you to see! The anodizing came out really nice.

@monoklang and anyone else interested, there are a limited number of leftovers (we had to buy extras to meet minimums).  For anyone placing an order and making payment before these ship, (in other words, "pre-buy") the price will be the same.  But due to the fact that this thing has become quite a bit more expensive than we originally calculated, any left over units after shipping has started will be sold at a higher price.

Thank you to everyone who has taken part so far!

We're waiting for pots and switches any day now.  Tried to get a shipping update from them, but no response.. must be carnaval or something.  8)

Knobs are in, they look very nice. Caps are in, metal is mostly in (waiting on faceplates to get legended, so far the brushed/anodized looks really nice).  The last inductor testing, Niels said the frequencies were spot on which is always good! 

So much for good news, now the bad.  Paypal gave us a real hassle the past month. The froze and unfroze our account 3 times, each time Niels had to send them a bunch of new paperwork, they wanted proof that we bought parts, that we had delivered orderes (that one was silly, we had explained from day one the nature of the payments, so they knew everything was "made to order").  In the end, all this did was delay everything, in that we had to keep talking to them, finding more "proof" instead of actually working on this stuff, calling manufacturers for updated shipping dates, things like that.  The only good part is that we had taken the money out of paypal otherwise it would be stuck there and we'd have no way of paying for the parts!  A soap opera.

Supposedly they removed the hold on our account just a few minutes ago, but I am not holding my breath, they did that before and then I got an email an hour later that they changed their mind.. So I'll cross my fingers and hopefully this won't happen again cuz we still need to get monoklang's invoice out :)

Thanks for bearing with us, I hope to have more good news this week!

more good news/bad news I'm afraid... which first? good news I guess, to put you in a good mood before I smack you with the bad..  We got a bunch of pots in the mail yesterday.  I mean lots. Way more than we need, but we had to meet minimums for each of them. 

Bad news is that, while I was asking GH for a copy of the invoice they never sent (they charged us way back when we made the order),  I also took the opportunity to ask for an updated shipping time.  The lady told me that they had some kind of part source problem and that the new ship date would be 3/22... Not cool at all, but iron is still not in either so, I guess not the only thing holding this up, but I thought I should let you guys know.

To leave you with a good feeling, so I don't get lynched(!), here is a side pic of the final prototype we did a little while back, you can see it now with the cool metal brackets holding the trafos and, of course, the black knobs. I think the black tape looks great underneath the trafos, but I don't think the final ones will come with it, they'll just be one big shiny block of nickel!

Sorry for the delays everyone, thanks for hanging in there (and not hanging me out to dry!).

10cqd77.jpg

The Red & Green reminds me of christmas marketing
it'll be a treat when it comes . Gotta feel for ya having to deal with all
the delays & excuses , I can see how it'd be hard to run a business these days

She looks pretty.

I think everyone here appreciates the effort it takes to co-ordinate these projects.

Looking forward to this one.

Regards,
Mark

okgb said:
The Red & Green reminds me of christmas marketing
it'll be a treat when it comes . Gotta feel for ya having to deal with all
the delays & excuses , I can see how it'd be hard to run a business these days

Biasrocks said:
She looks pretty.

I think everyone here appreciates the effort it takes to co-ordinate these projects.

Looking forward to this one.

Regards,
Mark
Thanks for hanging in there guys. I'm glad you likey the visual, I'm pretty happy with it myself, it's looks very organized for having been designed by me!  ;D

I've just bought a 51x kit (not even shipped yet.  Ha!) and I'm already drooling over the 500 series projects. This kit looks great! 

Mitsos, what is the availability of extra kits?

Cheers,

M
www.suspendstudios.com

Hi, well, I thought we were done, but there were a couple of interested folk that dropped out, and I'm awaiting payment on one pair, so we're getting close to the end. I have to tally again, but I think about 4 units left for this round/pricing.

thanks!

Hi!!! I can't stand waiting anymore.... :eek:
what the schedule for delivery? please tell me that it'has gone today...
or that it will tomorrow...
seriously, what are the news?
Where are you on the process to achieve these new toys?
Thanks for your answer.
Best,
Cheers

marckle said:
Hi!!! I can't stand waiting anymore.... :eek:
what the schedule for delivery? please tell me that it'has gone today...
or that it will tomorrow...
seriously, what are the news?
Where are you on the process to achieve these new toys?

Really??

Seven posts up.

mitsos said:
Bad news is that, while I was asking GH for a copy of the invoice they never sent (they charged us way back when we made the order),  I also took the opportunity to ask for an updated shipping time.  The lady told me that they had some kind of part source problem and that the new ship date would be 3/22... Not cool at all, but iron is still not in either so, I guess not the only thing holding this up, but I thought I should let you guys know.

Seems clear to me.

Regards,
Mark

Back