rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like it.

I'm building my first LA2A with the new chassis (as there was no chassis left for me in the first run) and I have to admit IT'S FUN!!  ;D

It's just such a difference when all cutouts and holes are there and fit the components :)

BTW: Finally my Pultec chassis is ready!! I just opened a feeler thread for it. I know there were some LA2A group buy members who were also interested in the Pultec. You can check it out here:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62061.msg786350#msg786350

Got my chassis in today. I've got to say that it's perfect. Extremely well built and great looking. Can't wait to get started on this one. Thanks.

Hey Martin,  received the chassis today. Coincidentally my UTC A-10 and UTC A-26 transformers (which I got for freakin $33.00!!!  :eek:) also arrived at the same time!
Can't wait to fill this beautiful case!

Thanks alot!

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate your feedback!
All chassis from the 2nd run group buy are gone and I'm already getting requests for another run.
Since all flaws are sorted out by now I think we can start a 3rd rund soon. So if you're interested just post here and we'll see if we can find enough people to make it happen once more :)

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!  :D

Since my friend Aaron with don-audio.com ordered another 15 chassis for his webshop I'm glad to announce a third run will definitely happen!
This allows us to keep the group buy prices here in the forum as well as to proceed much faster than expected. :)

Long story short I already ordered 25 new chassis of which 15 will be reserved for aaron and the rest is available for you guys!

Just drop me a pm or better - send me an email to martin[at]analogvibes.com and I put you on the list!

rainton said:
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!  :D

Since my friend Aaron with don-audio.com ordered another 15 chassis for his webshop I'm glad to announce a third run will definitely happen!
This allows us to keep the group buy prices here in the forum as well as to proceed much faster than expected. :)

Long story short I already ordered 25 new chassis of which 15 will be reserved for aaron and the rest is available for you guys!

Just drop me a pm or better - send me an email to martin[at]analogvibes.com and I put you on the list!

Hi Martin,
One thing to check before they manufacture is the holes for the 25x2 turret board (part 15033). My chassis were both drilled incorrectly. The 6 sets of holes should be spaced approx every 67mm but the first set of holes on the left are only 57mm then the next 5 sets of holes were all correctly spaced at 67mm. Not a disaster since it was the first set I only need to drill 2 new holes. Just something to check.

Hi Martin,
One thing to check before they manufacture is the holes for the 25x2 turret board (part 15033). My chassis were both drilled incorrectly. The 6 sets of holes should be spaced approx every 67mm but the first set of holes on the left are only 57mm then the next 5 sets of holes were all correctly spaced at 67mm. Not a disaster since it was the first set I only need to drill 2 new holes. Just something to check.

I didn't have this problem with mine.

Rob Flinn said:
Hi Martin,

I didn't have this problem with mine.

If you look from the front into the chassis the distance between the most right set of holes and the next one to the left is only 57mm - BUT: THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE but done on purpose!

You shouldn't have to drill extra holes. Let me tell you why:

2mr5cft.jpg

As you can see in the pic the distance between the very left and the very right set of mounting holes is 424mm. The distance between the very right and the next set to the left is 57mm. The distance between the very right set and the 2nd next set is 67mm.

The distance between the very left and the very right set of holes in the chassis is 424mm. So if you align the outer sets of holes of the turret board to those of the chassis it should fit exactly. And then just use the holes of the turret board that have a counterpart in the chassis.

In fact in the original LA2A just a few of the holes really have a screw in them. The very left set and the very right and in between it's one screw in the front then in the next set only one screw in the back and so on...

I built 2 LA2As with my chassis so far and it worked perfectly well in both cases.

Anyway if you drilled extra holes that was not necessary :-\

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the clarification. Luckily I haven't drilled any holes.  ;D Before I found your VERY helpful post a couple pages back in this thread, I was trying to source parts, and while measuring the chassis holes for the turret board I came across what I thought was a mistake. My bad :p.  I readily admit I have barely a clue what I'm doing.  Doing lots a reading and research. It's very interesting but it's starting to take too much time away from actually playing. I'll have these built by the end of the year if I'm lucky.  ;)

Cheers,
John

BTW, if anyone is on the fence about building an LA2A you should really do yourself a favor and pick up one (or two) of these chassis. They are fantastic quality. Rainton really did an incredible job with these.

Hello,
does anyone have some technical drawing of chassis in some CAD system, or only document screen etc. with the right proportions of spots height etc. I need It for my bachelor thesis.
Thanks

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum but... what is the current price for this chassis? I'm in the beginning stages of sourcing parts.

Stonecutter67 said:
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum but... what is the current price for this chassis? I'm in the beginning stages of sourcing parts.

175 Euros (excl. VAT) + shipping & PayPal

The adapter plates are 8.50 Euros each

For more information please send me an email :)

Thanks!

Hi Rainton,

I sent you a pm. Did you get it?
Or can I have your email adress?

best regards

Unit7 said:
Btw, I did a full build diary over at RGO last year.

Hi Paul,
I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your build diary. Thanks for doing that! It was very inspiring.

Also I got to meet Christian (forum member Bowie) yesterday. What an incrediblely helfpful super nice guy! I happen to live just about 20 minutes away so he offered to let me come over and pick up some parts I purchased for my LA2A build and also so I could see his builds and ask questions.

Any folks here needing tubes please don't hesitate to contact Bowie. I can tell you he is a true asset to this community.  He's a great guy doing a great job so support him if you can by considering him for your tube needs.

I almost have all my parts together! I cannot wait to get started on this build!  ;D

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I made a very interesting discovery concerning all LA2A builders ;):

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62931.0

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here. If I am let me know and I'll move this to another thread. I bought one of the cases from the second run. Amazing case! I got it with a certain logo added on the front  ;). Unfortunately, I'm not able to build it because I'm selling to raise money for something personal that's happened to us.  So, I'm selling the case, which is mint condition, and as mentioned has a certain logo on it and the case looks perfect. I've also got a NOS UTC A-10 transformer and a NOS Triad power transformer still in the original box. I'm just selling them for what I paid for them. Just PM me. I'm posting this in the black market section also.  If this isn't an appropriate place for it please delete the post.

Case - $215 + shipping
A-10 - $149 + shipping
R4A power - $80 + shipping

Back