Recommendations on how I can learn to build a Sony C800G clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, is this a theroethical issue or are we talking about building an authentic (whatever that is) C800g microphone?

That's the thread title, just a reminder, this is not your thread.

Again, have you built a mic with a PSU yet?

If this is just meant to be a poetic description of the topic, GS is actually the better place for it in my opinion.

Open up a new thread, maybe it will run a bit better than the old one.
It seems to be a giant misunderstanding. Allow me to explain. Someone linked my post from gearspace detailing my findings from an article that contains an interview about the C800G. I was asked, "why didn't I make any comments on the PSU." I wanted to clarify, that I am no expert, I am only going by my findings on the interview, and other research on the web about what makes the C800G unique to compared "clones." This isn't about me being a subject matter expert on the C800G. I have never designed a microphone, it was only to share my interest in why the designers chose the design choices they made, in the C800G.

I have NEVER said that my word/opinion is worth anything more than my opinion. What you regard as facts / marketing jargon, is your perspective. Not mine. If you have an issue with "marketing jargon"...you should take that up with the designers...not me. That is what I think where our disconnect is...you disagree with my findings. This isn't my issue. My only statement was to clarify my post. That is all.

IF YOU THINK THE PSU, is more of a contributing factor to the sound of the C800G...then please post YOUR FACTS AND YOUR FINDINGS. This will be more helpful than to accuse others of misinformation.

The burden of proof is on the accuser. Your beef, is not with me...it's with the original article that contains the interviews with the designers. My money is on them and their ideas.

It seems to be a giant misunderstanding. Allow me to explain. Someone linked my post from gearspace detailing my findings from an article that contains an interview about the C800G. I was asked, "why didn't I make any comments on the PSU." I wanted to clarify, that I am no expert, I am only going by my findings on the interview, and other research on the web about what makes the C800G unique to compared "clones." This isn't about me being a subject matter expert on the C800G. I have never designed a microphone, it was only to share my interest in why the designers chose the design choices they made, in the C800G.

I have NEVER said that my word/opinion is worth anything more than my opinion. What you regard as facts / marketing jargon, is your perspective. Not mine. If you have an issue with "marketing jargon"...you should take that up with the designers...not me. That is what I think where our disconnect is...you disagree with my findings. This isn't my issue. My only statement was to clarify my post. That is all.
It would be best if you would stop spamming this thread.

I think it is now clear to everyone that this is a prosaic matter.

Wrong place, I recommend building a mic yourself, not just talking about it. Huge experience, guaranteed.
IF YOU THINK THE PSU, is more of a contributing factor to the sound of the C800G...then please post YOUR FACTS AND YOUR FINDINGS. This will be more helpful than to accuse others of misinformation.
I never said that, please read my posts again. That's misinformation for now.
The burden of proof is on the accuser. Your beef, is not with me...it's with the original article that contains the interviews with the designers. My money is on them and their ideas.
Total nonsense, relax a bit.

It would be best if you would stop spamming this thread.

I think it is now clear to everyone that this is a prosaic matter.

Wrong place, I recommend building a mic yourself, not just talking about it. Huge experience, guaranteed.

I never said that, please read my posts again. That's misinformation for now.

Total nonsense, relax a bit.

Building a mic myself? Or designing a mic myself? Anyone can build a mic...that's extremely easy. Designing a mic from scratch? I have yet to obtain the knowledge to do that yet. Im still here learning. But I have so many hobbies and interests that i've yet to really clamp down and put %100 into it. Maybe one day.

And I don't consider replying to posts spamming, it's relevant to the conversation. Why are you so upset at me replying to your statements? This is a forum, that is what it's for.

I don't know what "everyone's" opinion is, and it's not my place to say whats "clear to everyone." But it's interesting that you think you have that sort of insight...or where you put your values at.

Maybe one day, when you calm down, you can re-read this thread and realize that I was merely clearing up a simple inquiry of my GS post.

Have a great week!

There is some chance that the Japanese designers wanted to use tubes in the PS so that the C800G would be more closely associated with vintage technologies, even though the U47, C12, U67, Elam 251, and M49 (my vote for the "Big 5") all used solid stage rectification.

There is some chance that the Japanese designers wanted to use tubes in the PS so that the C800G would be more closely associated with vintage technologies, even though the U47, C12, U67, Elam 251, and M49 (my vote for the "Big 5") all used solid stage rectification.

"More t00bz, more better-er...", as we all know. And/or just to recycle / reuse mic tube rejects..? (This last part i think i've read somewhere; makes some sense though---)

Last edited:
Probably more important than whether your PS uses a tube rectifier is that the Sony 800G heats the tube at 4.6VDC! Don't be thinking that you'll get a "better" sound if you raise that up to 6.3VDC. You'll get a DIFFERENT sound, and it won't sound like a Sony 800G.
Really? Schematic says 5.7VDC for the 6AU6a heater, the 4.8VDC feeds the peltier element.
My experiments with the 6AU6a showed that this type of tube does not necessarily like extrem underheating.

Edit: my print out of the schematic is really bad, or I need a new glasses. But now I am more confident... :cool:

Last edited:
And/or just to recycle / reuse mic tube rejects..? (This last part i think i've read somewhere; makes some sense though---)
I don't know if this was desired, but it would make sense, since the 6AU6a has to be selected hard for the headamp, at least that's how it was with my "c800g" experiments. My 6AU6a and EF94 (despite being NOS "premium" brands) were not exactly high-flyers in terms of noise and sound.

Last edited:
"More t00bz, more better-er...", as we all know. And/or just to recycle / reuse mic tube rejects..? (This last part i think i've read somewhere; makes some sense though---)
"It is said that the best thing
in the initial experiments was a car
battery.

In fact, they even considered
using a selenium rectifier at first, because
the original power supply for the
C-37a was selenium. But it is also
difficult to obtain. It was shelved because
it smelled bad."

It....smelled........lol.

In the same article...

"The power supply for the
microphone body is rectified
by a vacuum tube. It
is said that the sound quality
is several ranks higher
than silicon diode rectifiers."

Really? Schematic says 5.7VDC for the 6AU6a heater, the 4.8VDC feeds the peltier element.
My experiments with the 6AU6a showed that this type of tube does not necessarily like extrem underheating.

Edit: my print out of the schematic is really bad, or I need a new glasses. But now I am more confident... :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 3.30.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 3.30.07 AM.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for that clarification. I did a repair on a C800G a while back and must have measured from the wrong pin when checking into the heater voltage. 5.7VDC is a voltage I've found to work well and sound good in a number of tube microphone applications.

I don't know what it is about microphone discussions that brings out the worst in people.

Ethan said:
4. You will find that the members of this community are courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the flame-war mentality at another forum. Personal attacks and generally hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated.

Please be nicer... it's the rules.

JR

Latest posts

Back