Replacement for Sony headphone hookup wire

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan W

I have a short in my Sony 7506 headphones - only one ear is working. Does anyone know how to find the 2 conductor wire used to run from one ear to the other? It's a soft, flexible wire and the inner conductors are enameled,

one side cutting out is a common issue, usually on the right side which snakes it's connections through the head piece from one side to the other where it joins in to make the TRS cable and connection.

I usually repair headphones with just regular mic cable. I have a lucky dip bin full of random lengths of random cable. I usually will take a channel from mogami snake and filet it so I have the hot and neutral conductors in their twisted pair. I use that, it works and I have never had an issue.

one side cutting out is a common issue, usually on the right side which snakes it's connections through the head piece from one side to the other where it joins in to make the TRS cable and connection.

I usually repair headphones with just regular mic cable. I have a lucky dip bin full of random lengths of random cable. I usually will take a channel from mogami snake and filet it so I have the hot and neutral conductors in their twisted pair. I use that, it works and I have never had an issue.

Yeah, this is it, the very thin wire going to the right side was funky. It wasn't the TRS cable, and it wasn't the solder joints because I tried reflowing them first. By manipulating it it appeared that the short was near the end of the wire, so I was able to fix it for now by stripping about an inch off and resoldering.

I'll guess I'll try twisted pair if it acts up again; do you just zip tie it to the outside of the headband?

Yeah, this is it, the very thin wire going to the right side was funky. It wasn't the TRS cable, and it wasn't the solder joints because I tried reflowing them first. By manipulating it it appeared that the short was near the end of the wire, so I was able to fix it for now by stripping about an inch off and resoldering.

I'll guess I'll try twisted pair if it acts up again; do you just zip tie it to the outside of the headband?
I do not zip tie to the outside. That’s the lazy man’s way. I have always taken the time consuming path of running The wires in the same path that the original wires run. It’s not very difficult but it does take its time to do. This gives the end result something that is visibly pleasing as well as working.

Does anyone know how to find the 2 conductor wire used to run from one ear to the other?

I also use the 7506 headphones for many years now, it's the only model I use for work.

I've repaired the problem that you described by using wire from an old set of headphones, or scrap headphones, or headphones I brought from an airplane trip.
Just recycled that wire to fix the 7506

I can probably send you some headphone wire that you could use in case you want that

Ive also used the standard wire you find in cheap in ear headphones to repair the bridge on a Sony 7506 ,
its enamelled copper wire with kevlar strands
On ocassion the wires become pinched by the ear piece and the insulation breaks down .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back