Telefunken ELA M 251 Clone Tube Microphone Build Thread (D-Ela M 251E)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
¨All vacuum tubes and capacitors go through an extended burn-in period to ensure superior stability.¨
Then why did I receive some tubes that did not work at all, or had internal shorts! :mad:

I once ordered 60 pcs. JJ EF806S tubes straight from the factory. (As a company), to find later that my local distributor had them for a lower price. (Even including VAT and no shipping costs!)

Last edited:
JJ "A rigorous final test for tubes and capacitors verifies every important parameter. In particular, the parameters for flawless tube functioning include insulation characteristics, vacuum level, cathode emission efficiency, filament voltage, plate currents, and microphonics. The quality control process includes several thousand hours of reliability testing on samples of tubes and capacitors. ¨
¨
Even I had GL34 shorting after a few hours , made a fine fuse tester..

Just helped a friend finish off a build that we’ve been working on when we’ve had time to get together.

Used Beesneez capsule, Moby transformer and GE6072A.

I’ve never built a mic before, and he’s certainly new to DIY electronics but is now hooked! :)

We finished it and tested it on the bench and all seemed well. He took it away to try in his studio and used it straight away on a session and is very happy. It’s currently in a ‘vanilla’ state, so there is a benchmark to refer to before spending some time tweaking component values.

A couple of things though…

1. The relays were just stopping the body from centralising to the top plate.
This was overcome by filing and elongating the top holes in the guide rails. This allows them (and the pcb to move over a few mm so the top plate centralises in the Aliexpress body.

2. He has mentioned that it does seem a little bit low on output and had to push his Avalon 737 s fair bit.

Is this typical with this circuit? Obviously I’m just relaying initial impressions at this point (and not in the room), or is there something else to look for?

3. H+ is dialled in at 6.3, B+ just shy of 120. Is there an optimum voltage for B+, or just open to experimentation along with swapping out some components to alter frequency response?

Anyway, thanks to Danny and everyone here for contributing to a great project and a really big shout out to @Jim50hertz who gave us lots of great advice outside of this thread.

Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back