There used to be some SPIRIT on this forum.......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I like the new BM, there are some kinks to work out... (not sure how I feel about somebody with 12 posts selling things already) You bring up a good point there... It could easily start to look like your own personal flea market.

(There was a member that was trying to sell of some stuff- I won't name anyone. You could tell it wasn't a commercial profit type situation, just trying to recover some cash from old purchases, but the bumping every 3 days was a bit annoying)

this is spiralling and getting irrelevant

a brief recap... remember, not all that have an opinion actually post.

"In the end I decided to completely ignore brainf**ked people since the garbage in their head is their problem."
not sure how you do that without knowing who they are.

"I wonder if it was established members who understand and respect different people's involvement with the board who complained, or newer members?"

"With ALL due respect, maybe Ethan should grow a pair, and tell the whiners to f**k off."

"+1"

"Name and shame the moaners...."

"+1"

"never mind " politically correct "  Pete's right call the kettle black
a coward hides behind an email ?  "

"If the "complaints" cannot withstand or hold up to "communal" scrutiny then they are simply invalid in the eyes of the "community"."

NOT JUST ME THEN?

besides the other valid points that have been made in this thread. I will say again.

PeterC is withdrawing ALL his help here due to greed and jealousy. speak the fuck up if you have ever read/been helped by one of his posts. or this place is fucking ruined as far as i'm concerned and will be listed in my weblinks as POOR MANS EBAY.
because this for sure is no community attitude.
its just profit based.

I guess forums change over time.  This thread and others make think about all the people who do not post anymore that often had very interesting posts and threads.

well sh*t. looks like I won't be selling random DIY parts here anymore (or arranging group buys, but I signed off of that stuff years a go already). stuff just got too complex for their own good and to be honest all the changes seem to be made for and because of the people with commercial interests.

Thank you all the white market behind-the-scenes-whiners, thanks a f**king lot.

I can now somewhat see what peterc see meant about much of the original spirit dying.

kepeb said:
POOR MANS EBAY.
its just profit based.

Not there yet, but this is the direction it's heading. Except for the free support for their products that the poormans ebay salesmen will get here. Cloners and their personal dealers. I don't really want to partake.

It's really a question of market, for anyone needing to sell anything.  I've posted similar listings at many of the 'free' places; GS, TapeOp, 3dB, here, etc.  GS is just too large, with too many listings in a forum style format.  You can post something, and 2 hours later it's 3 pages down; no one ever sees it unless it's a 'hot' item, or you spam the crap out of your thread.  Many of the other places have too little traffic.  I think in the long run the changes here can help differentiate in good ways, just have to keep the dialog going and try to work out the kinks and unforeseen aspects.  I can't think of anther place that's any good for selling electronic parts, outside of ebay. 

Kingston said:
well sh*t. looks like I won't be selling random DIY parts here anymore (or arranging group buys, but I signed off of that stuff years a go already). stuff just got too complex for their own good and to be honest all the changes seem to be made for and because of the people with commercial interests.

I can now somewhat see what peterc see meant about much of the original spirit dying.

kepeb said:
POOR MANS EBAY.
its just profit based.

Not there yet, but this is the direction it's heading. Except for the free support for their products that the poormans ebay salesmen will get here. Cloners and their personal dealers. I don't really want to partake.

Stay cool!  The solutions will work.

I feel what really sets this place apart is the sanity in which it deals with its problems. People here, for the most part, seem to be very respectful and helpful.

I was talking to a friend and to host a forum like this, and have it be as quick as it is would probably require its own dedicated server or VPS. Which is anywhere from 350$ + a month just to host it. That's not including tech problems, and whistle blowing (i guess)

This is a great forum, and there are commercial interests here...I guess myself included, but I mainly just like building audio gear, and offer stuff as a side project and though I don't currently have a white market thread, I donate to the forum whenever i get a chance. I realize this is a community and one needs to give back to it.

I have learned a lot about audio in this forum! I think we all can say the same...

Lets keep it alive guys!

"Stay cool!  The solutions will work."
"Lets keep it alive guys!"

hmm. first of all you don't fix what isn't broken.. so its no solution, changes have been implemented, that's all.

Also I didn't suggest it will die. but this forum WAS one of the better ones. it is fast changing.

this is creating a wide gap for a new 'better' forum to take over now this ones gone commercial.
it was nice while it lasted.

I am not being specific.
could be any. where you least expect it.
maybe 'the spirit' will go back to just being a bunch of scattered personal diy websites again.
I forsee a certain change in the people that hang out here tho. as already exampled. hence this thread.

more discussions based around which Product(s) in the 'NEW BM' AND WM cost/are worth, which products are clones of what etc. and less and less threads on creative design and problem solving in order to learn and better understand the DIY. which is why I enjoyed reading here in the first place. I don't like adverts. and I dont like people pushing for more bucks from what was mostly an innocent community. now its a shop pushing products at me.

are outside links to your gumtree/ebay/personal sale frowned upon unless someone gets paid now too? I'm all for making an extra buck with something you enjoy but I digress. capitalisms great 'innit'.

Kingston said:

kepeb said:
POOR MANS EBAY.
its just profit based.

''Profit based'' on complete clone offerings, is the exact antithesis of DIY....and imo, shouldn't be allowed in a DIY forum. Only commercial listings offering services; metal work, etching, components, etc.

The reason clones started being offered, imo, was that new people came to the forum asking for complete kits and were not forced to do more themselves.

Gus said:
I guess forums change over time.

Yep.  PRR has spoken about this fairly thoughtfully here in the past.

But really, the big thing is that the nature of Audio DIY has changed.  Back in the old days, before the current forum, there were Jakob's early projects (no PCBs available though), probably a few people doing P2P LA2's, some 312 chatter, some smart and talented folks doing their own thing, and a lot of discussion of old designs.  Things moved slowly, which perhaps gave more time to focus on various bits of theory, and certainly lent an opportunity to really focus on one or two particular pieces--since there just wasn't that much going on. 

Now, of course, you can buy tons of stuff--clones and designs abound, and you can get parts kits, project-specific transformers, cases, panels, vu's--it's almost too much! 

And there's a ton more builders now, and certainly a lot more casual builders than in the old days--the folks who want to do a paint-by-numbers type build, have it work, and use it & be proud of it.  But it does seem there are still folks who come in & get an education, who come to understand the circuits & maybe even design/mod some of their own. 

There's good & bad in the new reality, and there's certainly more clutter and distraction, and more repetition of stupid questions.  But you can't put the genie back in the bottle, and I applaud Ethan for trying to figure out how to deal with our shifting landscape. 

Tom

hodad said:
Gus said:

But really, the big thing is that the nature of Audio DIY has changed.  Back in the old days, before the current forum, there were Jakob's early projects (no PCBs available though), probably a few people doing P2P LA2's, some 312 chatter, some smart and talented folks doing their own thing, and a lot of discussion of old designs.  Things moved slowly, which perhaps gave more time to focus on various bits of theory, and certainly lent an opportunity to really focus on one or two particular pieces--since there just wasn't that much going on. 

Now, of course, you can buy tons of stuff--clones and designs abound, and you can get parts kits, project-specific transformers, cases, panels, vu's--it's almost too much! 

And there's a ton more builders now, and certainly a lot more casual builders than in the old days--the folks who want to do a paint-by-numbers type build, have it work, and use it & be proud of it.  But it does seem there are still folks who come in & get an education, who come to understand the circuits & maybe even design/mod some of their own. 

There's good & bad in the new reality, and there's certainly more clutter and distraction, and more repetition of stupid questions.  But you can't put the genie back in the bottle, and I applaud Ethan for trying to figure out how to deal with our shifting landscape. 

Tom

Great post.

This thread kind of comes off and on the rails so it's hard to even follow it.  There are about 10 different things being discussed and most, if not all are unrelated.  The forum has changed for better or worse but so has everything else in the world.  This might as well be a political thread where people see who can yell the loudest and make the more sweeping generalizations.  Fortunately, I believe there are good, thoughtful points being made from all sides or I wouldn't post.

Some people have left, but I think it's inappropriate to assume why they left.  Publicly we know one "legend" left because of a tiff with another "legend".  One (maybe two or three) left because he went commercial.  Another has openly stated he just doesn't do a lot of audio electronics anymore.  Certainly a few left because of the noise, but not all or most.  The glory days of this forum were over 6 years ago.  People move on, let's not assume why.

New people have joined and I think they have a lot of knowledge to add.  In fact, I think we have some new legends in the making.  Unfortunately, there is more noise because we have more people, and that makes it harder to see.  However, as stated the genie is out of the bottle.  So what we do?

Here are a couple things I'll throw out.  I'm not saying I support or am against these things.  I'm just trying to be constructive.

- See if Ethan has the ability to hide threads.  You can select build threads and hide them.
- Have a build thread section and make people use it.  This could clean up the lab.
- Don't like the WM?  Don't go in it.
- Don't like the new BM?  There is another thread for that.

Also don't assume this forum is a democracy. We have a mod who has been here along time and he's been doing a kick ass job dealing with constant growth and change.  He's a smart guy, he's seen all of this unfold and change and he'll do what he thinks is best for the forum.  I actually have complete trust in his judgement because I've been watching him deal with all of this for a long time now. 

Unfortunately he'll never make everyone happy.

Mike

*edited for spelling

Echo North said:
...Also don't assume this forum is a democracy. We have a mod who has been here along time and he's been doing a kick ass job dealing with constant growth and change.  He's a smart guy, he's seen all of this unfold and change and he'll do what he thinks is best for the forum.  I actually have complete trust in his judgement because I've been watching deal with all of this for a long time now. 

Unfortunately he'll never make everyone happy...
Very well put Mike. I must say loudly that I am very disappointed in all of the digs directed at Ethan. Grow some balls and all that other stuff. IMO, that is totally uncalled for and pretty inappropriate. I agree in that he has done a bang up job with a forum that grows at speeds no one including he would have guess 4 or 5 years ago. If I were Ethan, I would ban the people talking about my balls.

Again, IMO, Ethan has done a million times better than the gear CIA people who run gs behind the cover name of Jules.

I think the #1 thing all of us can do is get back to theory. There are a lot of very experienced people here that are willing to help people understand things. Things like CJ's AC/DC theory threads in the Metas, people like PRR and Gus that are willing to take the time to answer people asking questions who struggle with some concepts, or just don't know the right questions to ask.

I think this is what a lot of folks want this forum to get back to. I am a new person still to this forum even though I have been around for a few years. I say that because of my lack of experience in most of the theory that gets discussed here. There are a lot of times that I won't ask a question because I know I can find the answer - somewhere. To all you guys that have been around, please don't give up on some of us "newbies" that are really trying to learn!

I am very much indebted to the responses you guys have posted to my mic building threads in the past. You've got no idea how much that really helped me. It isn't good to see guys like Peter leaving. Not good at all.

I completely agree Riggler.  But how do we do that?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems like every 3 months the "this forum ain't what it used to be" discussion pops up in the brewery.  We can continue to start that thread, people can come in and and make vast assumptions about why people left or how greedy or endowed people are....or we can suggest some solutions.  Ethan has suggested ways to unclutter the lab previously, and even had a poll.  The poll results were overwhelmingly "don't change anything". 

I and a few others in this thread have also made some suggestions.  I think it's really important if we want to help Ethan integrate positive changes that we suggest realistic solutions that a) don't cause over regulation/moderation b) doesn't close out new members (some of them may be smart!) and c) doesn't involve building a time machine and traveling back to 2005.

Mike

Echo North said:
doesn't involve building a time machine and traveling back to 2005.
Mike

There's always the Wayback machine.

Doesn't go to 2005 but it's interesting to see how much the forum has grown in a few short years.

http://web.archive.org/web/20081204040643/http://www.prodigy-pro.com/DIY/

There were 6 vendors in the BM back then, no WM.

Mike (Echo North) - 1176 parts, Gustav - pcb's, Igor - pcb's, Mnats 1176 pcb, Chae - panel engraving and Pursha selling cases.

Regards,
Mark

That's trippy.  Like looking at old high school photo's.

Maybe if the wayback machine allowed new posts we could solve all of this  :)

Echo North said:
hodad said:
Gus said:

Tom

Great post.

This thread kind of comes off and on the rails so it's hard to even follow it.  There are about 10 different things being discussed and most, if not all are unrelated.  The forum has changed for better or worse but so has everything else in the world.  This might as well be a political thread where people see who can yell the loudest and make the more sweeping generalizations.  Fortunately, I believe there are good, thoughtful points being made from all sides or I wouldn't post.

Some people have left, but I think it's inappropriate to assume why they left.  Publicly we know one "legend" left because of a tiff with another "legend".  One (maybe two or three) left because he went comercial.  Another has openly sated he just doesn't do a lot of audio electronics anymore.  Certainly a few left because of the noise, but not all or most.  The glory days of this form were over 6 years ago.  People move on, let's not assume why.

New people have joined and I think they have a lot of knowledge to add.  In fact, I think we have some new legends in the making.  Unfortunately, there is more noise because we have more people, and that makes it harder to see.  However, as stated the genie is out of the bottle.  So what we do?

Here are a couple things I'll throw out.  I'm not saying a support or am against these things.  I'm just trying to be constructive.

- See if Ethan has the ability to hide threads.  You can select build threads and hide them.
- Have a build thread section and make people use it.  This could clean up the lab.
- Don't like the WM?  Don't go in it.
- Don't like the new BM?  There is another thread for that.

Also don't assume this forum is a democracy. We have a mod who has been here along time and he's been doing a kick ass job dealing with constant growth and change.  He's a smart guy, he's seen all of this unfold and change and he'll do what he thinks is best for the forum.  I actually have complete trust in his judgement because I've been watching him deal with all of this for a long time now. 

Unfortunately he'll never make everyone happy.

Mike

*edited for spelling

+1 Mike.

I believe Ethan has done a great job with the forum over the past few years.  The new BM section looks very promising as well.  I don't see how anyone can get confused with this new structure.  I don't post much but spend a LOT of time reading and learning from guys like PRR, JR, Analag, Harpo, SSLTech, and many others.  This forum is an incredible source of knowledge and I can't imagine what the DIY world would be like without it.

Let's keep it welcoming, tolerant and amicable, the way I've seen it 99% of the time.  Don't let it turn into GS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back