U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before this thread kicks off into an interest-feeler thread, can we keep it on topic?

It'll possibly make things easier to read later, plus this isn't one of the market forums.

Cheers.

Hi Skylar,

Excuse me if this has been addressed already.

I was just wondering whether a "standard" one of these (with the appropriate binder connector):
show_product.php

will fit or whether this part needs to be made with the EQU47 bell-cap-threads (and other dimensions) in mind.

Thanks!

Cheers,
jonathan

The EQU47 end bell threads mate with the binder 691 7-pin female cable-mount connector:

Fits like a glove.

The 7-pin male insert that fits into the end cap comes with the mic body.
My plan is to have the female cable-mount available also.
I'll be buying in bulk, so that will save you money versus just buying single quantities from binder's website.

So, if the connector you want to use is compatible with the binder 691-series, then it's compatible with the EQU47 body.
That's the best answer I can give.

Skylar said:
.... binder 691 7-pin female cable-mount connector:

This is a good call, Skylar.

That 7th pin will come in handy for some mic designs.  ;)

And they're a LOT cheaper than the NOS or repro neumann connectors. I think the last one I bought was about 100 euro!

AFAIK, Latchlake makes a swivel-mount with a binder 691 for the Lucas microphone.
Dunno if they'll sell it separately... And I guess the swivel may cost as much as the Skylar's body kit!

@Zebra50: The Binder 691 is indeed a good choice. The Tuchel repro made by Flea is now listed 135€ excluding VAT!

Axel

Of course the original U47 didn't use a remote control for the pattern.

But if you want to put something like Gyraf's G7 or Max's MK7 design in, you need a pattern selection, and it helps to have separate ground connections for the heater and B+, so....

Heater +
Heater -
B+
Ground
Signal hot
Signal cold
Pattern control voltage

Seven pins is good, plus screen / shield. Of course you can double up the grounds, or at a push use the screen as ground. But you have to work a bit harder to keep things quiet, and there is less opportunity to play around with grounding possibilities.

(BTW, I recently go some bits from FLEA and found them a very good company to work with. Their manufacturing quality and customer services were both excellent, and their prices reflect that!)

~Just a quick update~

I'm still working with the factory to correct the outer mesh.

I had reported earlier that they used 12x12 outer mesh.
After measuring it more precisely with a caliper, it's actually 11x11—closer, but still incorrect.

So, I am sending them a sample of the proper mesh size (10x10), and they will build a couple headbasket samples for us to inspect.
I am hoping that this will be the last hurdle before full production begins.

~another update~

The 10x10 mesh sample has been sent to the factory.
I've also been able to get a hold of a "real" U47 headbasket that I will send to the factory for the engineers to use as an assembly reference.

Then they'll make one or two headbaskets for me to approve.

Chugging forward.

Sorry for not reading the hole thread.
But what I was reading this is not the feeler thread. Is it somewhere around or will it be in the futher? Or has it been?

Cheers
Soren

Soeren_DK said:
Sorry for not reading the hole thread.
But what I was reading this is not the feeler thread. Is it somewhere around or will it be in the futher? Or has it been?

Cheers
Soren

No feeler. Read the first post and the last 10 pages or so.
There will be a white market thread with details...hopefully very soon at this point.

Hey Skylar

Do you have an estimated time you think the mic bodies are ready for sale?

I'm really looking forward to this :D

Once again, thank you very much for the great work, i really appreciate that! :p

- Frederik

Latest posts

Back