UTM INDUSTRY audio transformers - from Poland - EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool to find this, checking the shop and i assume UTM3548 is usable as LO1166 alternative?

Last edited:
A factory tour video would be amazing.
I think it's too early for such big things. We are a 4 person crew on 70 square meters by now.
UTM was established as an IGS Audio daughter company. The reason was very simple, IGS needed more audio transformers every month, therefore, I bought and borrowed a couple of wise books, read the whole internet about the construction and materials needed. Finally, we started prototyping. After 9 months of prototyping, we decided to install the first UTM transformers in our RB500ME. The listening tests and Audio Precision measurements were very promising. We decided to send this module to Tape Op magazine to review. The review was fantastic. Link.
We didn't do much reverse engineering. We designed the transformers by ourselves, it's not rocket science. The first and most important condition was met - we are able to successfully manufacture the transformers for our usage. After that, we established the UTM website and continued the work. We are trying now to recreate the most popular and famous transformers used in the previous century using classic methods of windings. Our offer is still growing. We shall see what's gonna happen. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

So any users here can say sth about the sound character? Especially the neve output?
iam inexperienced with newer transformers by for example my old marinair and utc have lots of it.

So any users here can say sth about the sound character? Especially the neve output?
iam inexperienced with newer transformers by for example my old marinair and utc have lots of it.
The Neve class A output transformers were all steel cored. Today, steel transformers are made from cold rolled grain oriented steel (CRGO). Since this was invented in 1933 it was very probably available to Neve as a manufacturer in the 70s. So if the same core structure and winding plan is used today, the sound of the transformer should be very similar to the original.

Cheers

Ian

After 9 months of prototyping, we decided to install the first UTM transformers in our RB500ME. The listening tests and Audio Precision measurements were very promising. We decided to send this module to Tape Op magazine to review. The review was fantastic. Link.
Wow!

Congrats for the TapeOp review!
Just read it. And now I crave for your RB500ME...

Also, do you ship transformers outside of the EU? You can't believe how difficult to find and expensive are good audio transformers in South America...

The Neve class A output transformers were all steel cored. Today, steel transformers are made from cold rolled grain oriented steel (CRGO). Since this was invented in 1933 it was very probably available to Neve as a manufacturer in the 70s. So if the same core structure and winding plan is used today, the sound of the transformer should be very similar to the original.

Once I did a listening test comparing Sowter and Carnhill for the output of a 1081 that I built and Sowter sounded more close to a transformer that I built with a huge core (wasnt very good iron) they had an amazing low end. there was a clear difference between Sowter and Carnhill. I have never had a Marinair to test. I should have had a more scientific test but I did not had the equipment at that time. I suppose the windind and the gap should be the main differences.

Cheers

Ian

Hi IGS,
on the subject that Ian talked about...

The Neve (Marinair) output transformers have a very specific winding structure,
there's a reverse wound primary and a split wound secondary.
I would like to ask you if your UTM3547 and UTM3548 follow the original transformers winding structure or if they have a more standard Primary to Secondary winding?

Thank you so much

I ve built a pair of 553 EQs with Vami /CZ PCBs with switchable frequencies. I used the UTM 3503 Out TX as API 2503 replacements. The wire colours are a little bit differnet to the original. But after Igors hint it was not a big thing. Thanks man!
The TX are sounding superb. Wow... A "easy" Frequeny response check shows good linear performance. They nail forward, clean, verrry open in combination with this passive/discrete Opamp EQ circuit. Its doing the API sound thing like you would expect from EA, AVD....clones. But I dont have any original 2503 to compare it directly. A very impressive EQ that shows how good circuits can sound. I don't use a load resisitors at the output. There is not any "harsh" audible behavoir during tests.👌Its genius...
Now its time to order "real" frontpanels" for these 553 EQs...
Very excited about the next UTM batch I ordered for a Abe's Pye Clone and a UA175b Compressor... 🤔

Attachments

• PXL_20220208_205242895.jpg
    PXL_20220208_205242895.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220212_100651453~2.jpg
    PXL_20220212_100651453~2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20220212_100646589~2.jpg
    PXL_20220212_100646589~2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220212_100726191.jpg
    PXL_20220212_100726191.jpg