What is that Red/Blue gunk on screws called?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
I always see that red (some time blue), paint like stuff on screws in manufactured gear to prevent them from unscrewing. Does anyone know what that stuff is called?

Thanks,
-E

I seem to remember something like lock-tite?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

they make red and blue "loctite" but I suspect that would be a little too much for what your talking about :\

nail polish?

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/loctite_content.cfm?layout=4&productline=OEM5000&path=Assembly%20Products|Cylindrical%20Assemblies%20%28Retaining%29

I know Locktite make a version of it, and Farnell / RS sell it, but I can't remeber what it's called. There is a soft version of it that Sequential Circuits used to put on trimpots to keep them still, but I usually use nail polish for screws.

Yeah - that stuff is Lock-tite. You put it on the threads to prevent screws from working themselves loose. There are different colors for different levels of effectiveness. I think red is the most difficult to break of all, but I'm not sure.

Loctite Threadlock.

Just a dab on the screw head! -Use it on the thread itself at your great peril! (unless you want it to STAY tight forever... even resisting your atempts to free it later!!!)

Keith

I use thread lock myself (or nail polish, at home!) and I find that it works perfectly! I can break the blob later on if I have to, but things stay put otherwise. It also works as an "alert" if tinkering was afoot!

I also did the patchbay in studio B with the threadlock... no more problems with the patchpoints dropping behind the patchbay!!! :green:

Keith

There's also a brand called Nut-Grade. Blue is removeable, red is permanent. It's great stuff.

Thanks guys!

I too, have noticed that the red gunk is a bastard compared to the blue.

[quote author="Ethan"]I always see that red (some time blue), paint like stuff on screws in manufactured gear to prevent them from unscrewing. Does anyone know what that stuff is called?

Thanks,
-E[/quote]

We always called it Glyptol...used to hold ferrite slugs in place when doing
rf alignments but also great for applying to trimpots....I bought a bottle years ago and I don't think I've used a thimble full yet...and I use it quite often...the beauty of Glyptol is it doesn't harden over time... it also works great on threads.

TP

glyptol

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=cl&subcat=cmi

at the bottom

I think its actually spelled glyptal?

GC Electronics has something that might work

http://www.gcwaldom.com/catalog/css/catalog_bmark.html#

look under coatings...

"red insulating varnish"

Glyptal! Wow. There's a blast from the past. We used to use that stuff to glue cork gaskets down to transformer tanks. Very good insulator. Messy!
If you get it on you, you have to wait for your outter skin layer to peel off.
We use to call it Glooptal because, well, it was gloopy!

Nail polish is just enamel, and thats pretty much what holds all those transistor radio trimpots and IF coils from moving.

You get a better buzz from the nail polish than glyptal. Well, maybe. :razz:

You can use Testors model paint too. I've heard, from reliable sources, the early Ampex stuff, like up to the 351, was just regular old enamel paint.

Latest posts

Back