What the **** is this ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify, this is nothing against Steffen. He is the one doing all his designs himself and is free to sell anything he likes.
It's only about the Phoenix Clone compressor / Purusha.

Flo

kml23956 said:
Have you seen this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110340728126

Oh wow.... Cool :) HA!

Look, I sell the kits/boards/parts on my own website. So if someone wants to buy my kits, assemble them, rack them and sell them to others ready-made, complete, it's fine with me.  Nothing wrong with that. So that eBay seller is fine with me. 

The only thing I ask is for people not to copy my PCB designs.

And mind you, there are people that *email* me asking me to scan the front and back side of my UNPOPULATED PCB. The nerve!  I told him "Why don't you just buy a kit if you're planning to copy it." Within a few minutes, I got an order from him. .... and I refunded the money back to him.  <shivers> Some people are just dumb-morons-donkeyholes.

What????

Let me clear my name!  :mad:

I can tell you the VM shown on Gearslutz forum is my own unit sold to a guy in Swizz for parts worth
and a bit extra for the time spent in building it. The 3000€, what he is trying to get out of it has nothing to do with me!!!

I am not present on LAB so much any more cause I don't have much time to build gear anymore, I get too much orders of cases
all the time and my private life and daily business takes too much time lately. The initial idea of making a few cases grew into something
bigger and not planned in the beginning. Looks like some guys here are very envious about it.

For offering the Frank's Pultec PCBs along with my Pultec cases I got the permission from Frank personally. Ask him if you want.

This is all I have to say to some guys here who play the police on this forum. Just to let you know, these same guys are most sick.
At home and behind secret forums they discuss, plan and DIY all kind of BIG NAME gear clones. So much for the sincerity.  :-[

And don't even try to drag me into further discussion as I will not read your answers!!! Double standards here just make me sick  ??? :mad:

Sooo, you're saying you did not try to sell these Phoenic clone PCB's + case under the radar?

If you don't answer I consider it as a yes...

Also, you're money making attitude does not deserve the OM sign my friend. Talking about double standards...ttsss

Purusha said:
... Just to let you know, these same guys are most sick.
At home and behind secret forums they discuss, plan and DIY all kind of BIG NAME gear clones. So much for the sincerity.  :-[
for our very own use.
and there you have stolen this PCB design and have been asked to use it only for your own build.
there you lied and said you only want to build one or two for you and your friend.
it is not only me getting support requests for this PCB from all over the world. and for sure I ask who sold the PCBs. the answer is always the same.
this was a hidden project for a small crew since we respect Thermionic Culture and their Phoenix which is still in production.
the guy who did all the hard work reverse engineering the unit just from photos, and designed the PCB, explicitly asked you for non commercial use.
behaviors like this is why more and more great projects have to be done hidden, or without public documentation. and this is a very sad tendency.

the guy selling your own unit on gearslutz only tries to get back what he paid. I talked to christian, he is a nice guy, and he told me how much he paid and how long he waited. I wish him good luck getting back what he paid.

Purusha said:
The initial idea of making a few cases grew into something
bigger and not planned in the beginning.

I don't buy this. More often than not you have a case-design ready minutes after an interesting design with PCB emerges. That doesn't look like a person who's looking for freeing up time for music, DIY, family etc.

So please don't try to make it look like it's something that you can't control.

I appreciate the case-biz you started & I have not forgotten the pleasant way you helped moving the G1176-meter-position to accomodate my meter. But imo from there it went a bit too commercial for my taste, and now even to new depths as was found out.

Regards,

Peter

Purusha said:
Just to let you know, these same guys are most sick.

Wasn´t it you, who played this silly "Uncle Fester" game recently?

"At home and behind secret names you discuss, plan, DIY and SELL all kind of BIG NAME gear clones".

Well, "discuss, plan and DIY" could be reduced to "draw a frontpanel with photoshop"
I couldn´t stop laughing about your "TG2" frontpanel.
regards
Bernd

bernbrue said:
Wasn´t it you, who played this silly "Uncle Fester" game recently?

No, it wasn't him, but another member. It was nicely marketed as "sharing behind the scenes", but actually I think part of it was to cover up the rather exorbitant prices of those PCBs. They were so high it was obvious someone was wanting to cash in on it.

keefaz said:
I would think the SAD day will be the day when a person would be killed or bad injured by a DIY unit defect, hope that will never happen...
There is no insurance when you sell a DIY unit that will be connected to mains, beware if the buyer sue you for an electric failure

Yeap.

Whether it is a DIY or not, you will be sued down to your underwear if somebody gets injured or killed by the product that you manufactured. Particularly if you do not have a professional qualification things may get  nasty and you may even be charged with criminal offence.

So, it can be sweet to make few bucks in the short term but consider the long one.

That is why the professionals like us pay thousands in indemnity insurance.

Twice I have given Tat permission to design and build cases for my projects...should I avoid him with my upcoming stuff?

analag

[quote author=[silent:arts] behaviors like this is why more and more great projects have to be done hidden, or without public documentation. and this is a very sad tendency.
[/quote]
Just wanna agree this idea...

this could be interesting for Ed Anderson, a case sold by - well we know:

PurpleTat.jpg

but he might already have known this.
(could give enough other examples. my PM box is full right now ...)

Great, more smoke from the gun:

http://purusha.smokinggunrecording.com/diy/MC76-fingerprint.jpg
MC76-fingerprint.jpg

http://purusha.smokinggunrecording.com/diy/MC76.jpg
MC76.jpg

Images are called "MC76", no logo on the panels.. Same delicious colour!

http://purusha.smokinggunrecording.com/diy/PURPLEMC76.jpg
PURPLEMC76.jpg

::)

http://purusha.smokinggunrecording.com/diy/GSSLstack.jpg
GSSLstack.jpg

Someone has either a stack of GSSL's in his studio or a stack of cash in his bank account.

Oh FUck!

Things are looking worse and its a shame I was planning on getting some stuff custom from Tat...

There is a part of me that wishes ed wouldn't see that 76. But how shitty can you get, I don't think there are any rules laid out here, but surely rule 101 unwritten, is don't copy somebodies product identity wholesale.

-T

no these cases are not made by or approved by purple audio.

PurpleTat.jpg

when purusha asked if he could make cases, there was a discussion in the black market, where i said that he could make a purple front panel, but that he could not use the purple logo or MC76 designation.  he posted this design, which i said was fine:

MC76.jpg

unfortunately that thread is long gone, but it is still true that purple did not give purusha permission to use the logo or designation, and he did.

i think andrew said it best: "that guy is a giant douche"

ed

What is this?

Vari-MuPCB1.jpg

The tube heaters are not connected (there are just 100n caps connected to them). Seems his board is missing the top layer. That's probably the reason Volker and Kubi received so many PMs asking about help with the VK1 boards...  ???

Olaf

Whoo, flammable issue.

I think there will always be people taking advantage on freebies. PP is one plase where you may steal some really good and profitable stuff and make few quick bucks. But in the long run it won't pay the effort. Sooner or later one will get bad reputation if selling some stolen stuff, especially with this kind of relatively high dollar pieces of hardware (not a massive market). And if one get caught it will possibly come with bad consequences, so it is a relatively high risk to take. Some will take it, but most won't. And if there is few pieces on the market it won't hurt anybodys business money wise but of course should be treated as in any trademark/license treat.

I hope this case won't affect the forum too much. This is really good community and very very rewarding and enjoyable to be around (thanks everybody!).

Don't know if my post made any sence, but I'll hope this forum will continue to be as open as possible. Add those disclaimers on pcbs and be a bit cautious on stuff you want to keep your self or perhaps make your own business out of. Does anybody know if there is some GPL-style license for physical goods (to prevent your own projects to be stolen)? Could be worth considering on some stuff...

anyway, back to this witchhunt, you can get EXIF data from these pictures. The one above with purpleaudio 76 is taken on 2007-03-30, don't know if it's before or after your discussion of permission to use it. I doubt it's edited since the photo was readily available on that url ;)

Also the vk1 project as whole is on the server where those pictures are taken, maybe these other folks have also found it from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back