WTF Florida?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you’re labeling as tyranny may not necessarily be held up legally as tyranny in our courts. Your tyranny may simply be your perspective.
Seems like SCOTUS has overturned several unconstitutional state laws of late.

Creating transgenerational government dependency is a whole other topic,
It's a root cause of many of the problems discussed here.

but off the top of my head, a lot is not much fault of the people.
How is that? Government is of the people. The people voted for it. Some of the people allowed themselves to become dependent.

Stealing land from the Native Americans lead to transgenerational poverty. Slavery
abolished 158 years ago.
and Jim Crow
no longer a thing.

lead to transgernerational poverty. War leads to alcohol and drug abuse.
So does irresponsible parenting, a lack of self-control, and many other things.

That leads to transgenerational poverty.
And the kicker...transgenerational poverty doesn't lead to governmental dependency in most cases. Quite a lot of people have a strong distaste for dependence, in fact. What helps lead to government dependency is rewarding bad behavior, creating a culture of victimhood, etc.

Seems like SCOTUS has overturned several unconstitutional state laws of late.
As it should, when they’re unconstitutional.
How is that? Government is of the people. The people voted for it.
Except those who had no vote for most of the history of this nation.
abolished 158 years ago.

no longer a thing.
You’re ignoring the point.
So does irresponsible parenting, a lack of self-control, and many other things.
Right, but not a government issue… Until it is.
And the kicker...transgenerational poverty doesn't lead to governmental dependency in most cases. Quite a lot of people have a strong distaste for dependence, in fact.
Want and are, are two different things.
What helps lead to government dependency is rewarding bad behavior, creating a culture of victimhood, etc.
Connect the dots.

If I may interject, concerning California, I am a current resident. I have lived here well over 20 years. Unlike Analog packrat who has eight years more of being in California than I do I can say with certainty that I have seen the dangers of a one-sided government. One could easily argue the same for other states. Policy that has negative impact on the citizens is bad, regardless of where it comes from. The most interesting part in the latest concerning political parties is that at one point in time both parties had the same end goal, the argument was about how to get there. It’s not like that anymore. We can see that in the discussions here. There are many metrics that one can use to measure the success and failures. That is California. My personal opinion is a one-sided government has led to many of its failures. Hopefully the state can recover from such stupidity.

As it should, when they’re unconstitutional.
Government over-reach, a.k.a. tyranny. So it is happening despite your earlier denial.

Except those who had no vote for most of the history of this nation.
How far back into history should we reach for our grievance validation? No group has been denied the right to vote based on race, gender, etc. for several generations now. Stop dragging past actions by long dead people into the present in order to manufacture victimhood.

You’re ignoring the point.
Your point is what? Bad things happened in the past? Guess what, it was much, much worse before that.

Right, but not a government issue… Until it is.
Why do you insist on assuming government must be involved in everything?

Want and are, are two different things.
You missed the point. There are many poor people who refuse government assistance because they were raised to be independent no matter what. I expect you've never interacted with anyone with that mindset.

Connect the dots.
I did. Have you?

Scott...I'm with you here. Over the past few years, my two younger best friends (sadly one died last year) can never vote here. Felons.....one for several counts of pot possession, other for assault in what was basically a bar brawl. Both served time, perhaps because of poor lawyers. Neither were/are allowed to vote.

I don't hang out with lifetime losers, but because of bad decisions these two good friends spent time in the KS prison system. AFAIK KS won't allow convicted felons to vote.....need to fact check that.

MY ERROR....a felon can vote in KS after jail. shrug.

One other element to consider....many companies ask applicants if they were previous felons. If so, immediate "no hire". Leaves these folks with no opportunities besides a minimum wage gig at McDookie.....or living on welfare or the street.

I am NOT a "defund the police" guy. But, my friend (now RIP) who went to prison at age 21 (?) never recovered from the trauma. He was very intelligent, yet work was difficult to find with the "felon stigma". He basically drank himself to death.

RIP friend LaRue.....

Bri

Bri

Last edited:
One other element to consider....many companies ask applicants if they were previous felons. If so, immediate "no hire". Leaves these folks with no opportunities besides a minimum wage gig at McDookie.....or living on welfare or the street.
Yeah it's definitely a thing. Can always just say f it and start your own business.... Then there's...

"Desmond Meade, who was convicted of a felony and earned a law degree after his release, became involved in voting rights after his wife ran for the Florida Legislature and he could not vote for her. He became the head of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition in 2009. He led a drive to qualify Amendment 4 as a ballot initiative for the 2018 Florida elections, collecting 799,000 signatures. The initiative was approved in January 2018 for the November ballot.[21] The amendment required 60% of the vote to take effect.[22]"

There seems to be a disconnect in some who view the justice system favorably when it fits their narrative but unfavorably when it doesn't. Corruption exists everywhere and who knows how much comes from the machine actively seeking out it's next meal. California iirc even had rampant corruption as far down as the bail bondsmen. Could even imagine charges being brought that bring the $ numbers up higher knowing they'll never stick.

RIP for your friend

To add to the WTF-uckery that is Florida:

SB 254

Bands transgender care for minors, and arms the court to remove custody of an "at risk" child from a parent if the court thinks that parents may take the child out-of-state for medical care, based on a bogus and bullshit definition of 'sex assigned at birth', that isn't even medically accurate.

To add to the WTF-uckery that is Florida:

SB 254

Bands transgender care for minors, and arms the court to remove custody of an "at risk" child from a parent if the court thinks that parents may take the child out-of-state for medical care, based on a bogus and bullshit definition of 'sex assigned at birth', that isn't even medically accurate.
I don't have a dog in this fight (no children). But can almost imagine how parents with children feel.

SB254 said:
Treatments for Sex Reassignment; Granting courts of this state temporary emergency jurisdiction over children present in this state if they are at risk of or are being subjected to the provision of sex-reassignment prescriptions or procedures; requiring courts to consider specified conduct as unjustifiable for purposes of determining jurisdiction in certain proceedings; defining the term “serious physical harm” for purposes of warrants to take physical custody of a child in certain child custody enforcement proceedings; providing that the courts of this state have jurisdiction to vacate, stay, or modify child custody determinations made by a court of another state under certain circumstances, etc.

This would almost be funny if it wasn't really happening... BTW the woke acceptable language for such surgery is "Gender Affirming surgery". That sounds so much more benign. ;)

JR

Why is the government interfering with private family matters? Liberty applies only if you argree with others choices? Can we get any sort of logical consistency from either party?

Why is the government interfering with private family matters? Liberty applies only if you argree with others choices? Can we get any sort of logical consistency from either party?
Does Liberty extend to child abuse? Spousal abuse? If the legal system (the government) isn't the proper solution, what is?

Psychological manipulation isn't abuse? Is cult deprogramming sometimes necessary?
I am inclined to focus on the puppet masters (the man behind the proverbial curtain), not products of their work effort. We are all influenced to some extent. There are some pretty interesting hearing in congress these days, but not being embraced by the mainstream.

JR

There are some pretty interesting hearing in congress these days, but not being embraced by the mainstream
I found it really interesting when Taibbi got absolutely destroyed by a couple of different Dem congresscritters. That was interesting. Not so interested in borderline wackos spouting baseless nonsense, which seems to be a lot of what's happening.

I found it really interesting when Taibbi got absolutely destroyed by a couple of different Dem congresscritters. That was interesting. Not so interested in borderline wackos spouting baseless nonsense, which seems to be a lot of what's happening.
Speaking truth to power really got them wound up, didn't it? And they made absolute fools of themselves, not Taibbi. They looked desperate to discredit anyone telling the truth about what's been going on for the past few years. You know, that Fascism thing you're always talking about--collusion between government and industry to the detriment of the people.

Two movies? It was embarrassing to see them try to gotcha the two "so-called journalists" :rolleyes:.

Taibbi said:
Taibbi directly addressed Plaskett's comments after the congresswoman finished her opening statement.

"Ranking Member Plaskett, I'm not a so-called journalist," Taibbi said during the hearing. "I've won the National Magazine Award, the I.F. Stone Award for Independent Journalism, and I've written 10 books, including four New York Times bestsellers."

This is just the beginning there will be a lot more hearings and more poop hitting the fan.

The man behind the curtain will tell you what to think.

JR

Latest posts

Back