• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8-slot Lunchbox Kit Group Buy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpuhhuh said:
Nice offer.
Any chance you'd offer just the PCB? I would be interested in one or two of just the PCB. Could allow people to have their own box rolled with or without ears as desired. And where did you find that extrusion. I'm thinking of cutting down a soundboard and that would be ideal.
JP

I'd second this i have a few exoskeleton/modular type rack cases. Your kit is so well priced though.

I assume the mounting rail is vector or eurorack rail or either of those would be compatible with the right kind of threaded inserts or sliding nuts.

If so, here's two sources for DIYers from the modular synth land:
http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/modular/modular-diy.html
http://erthenvar.com/store/eurodiy/casehardware/cutvector

You can get rack ears from Schneiders' as well, but only in width that needs a full rack width of the rail - won't help much with mounting a lunchbox to a rack.

Which kind of begs the question: why do people generally want lunchboxes with rack ears? You can get a full 11 slot frame (metalwork, backplane + PCB with connectors) without PSU from Volker for not much more money, and that's going to use the 3U space in the rack more efficiently. The benefit in a lunchbox type design to me is that I can enclose it in something as small as possible (maybe build a little flightcase around it with plywood) and take it with me easily - if I'm going to rack-mount I might as well go with a full width option. Just curious.

Also, if you have Eurocard or other suitable rack width frame already and just need a backplane PCB, you can probably order a full rack width backplane from the 511x people (Classic API for US, Volker in EU) if they have any spares.

z15 said:
Also, if you have Eurocard or other suitable rack width frame already and just need a backplane PCB, you can probably order a full rack width backplane from the 511x people (Classic API for US, Volker in EU) if they have any spares.
no, we do not sell backplanes without Racks ...

[silent:arts] said:
z15 said:
no, we do not sell backplanes without Racks ...

Why not?

Cheers

Ian

because then you have racks sitting around with no pcbs for them, or vice versa... I have a number of faceplates and metal brackets left for the GIX-51X, but no pcbs for the same reason. I don't blame him for not wanting to try to separate the two.

Hi All, et bonjour Michal

I'm in for one kit, interested also about the ears to rack the beast

many thanks for the offer

K

benqbasic said:
Your kit is so well priced though.

Not really..once you factor in the time, additional components(is:external power supply) and the rest of it...
it's a slight bit less than on par.

Don't be fooled by the initial cost of the bare bones parts.

I've updated the list once again.

@desol: seeing that you're also interested in participating in this group buy I am not sure what point you're trying to make with your last post.

In all fairness.
We as DIY'ers i think have most of the stuff other than the kit, so i still believe its an affordable project.
Thanks

Uh, still interested but may have to skip after all unless the manufacturing & payment & shipping will take somewhere until November or later than that. Swamped with bills this month it seems...

I dont need rack ears but if I was gonna rack it ide say #1 so the psu and all can go in the rack would make easier if I bring it on the road with me I have a bunch of 3u rack bags I use to travel  :)

michal_k said:
I've updated the list once again.

@desol: seeing that you're also interested in participating in this group buy I am not sure what point you're trying to make with your last post.

Just that. Things add up fast...that's all. People are always into getting into something cause it's 'cheap'. Not a good reason to get into something, imo...

It's good to be realistic about the total cost and time...that's all i'm saying.

- Not to steer the groupbuy off topic...my apologies.

we are all analog hackers, so we want to know how it's work inside. Desol have a good point of view and explain to all it's not a 120€ project, but an important part of a lunchbox project.
Anyways, I suggest to michal to be sure that beginners diyers don't do mistake and believe they will have a lunchbox a quarter price of the cost of commercial projects.

I like this kind of open project, because we can shape them easily to ours needs, for example use tascam DB25 connector instead of XLR, or using a spare PSU or for the ones buying the 51X PSU, using ther second PSU port, and so on....

assymetrical ears got my vote, beacuse lot of gears got the powersupply on the right side and when gears are racked power supply are stacked together, minimizing EMC between racks

Latest posts

Back