GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jeff! Wanted to know if I could jump on the list as well.

Thanks! I'm excited about this one guys!

Boise, USA

Sredna said:
As I understand it, there is a PSU in making outside of the EUR 215,- kit offer.
Price is not yet determined. (Post #264)

But who knows, Volker is a very generous person.  :)
Sredna, this is the correct understanding. There is no way to include the PSU at EUR 215,-
the big yes was: yes, we will offer a PSU too.

personally I'm still hoping Sahib will do a further case, PSU included.
I just don't have the space for an external PSU.
but this will need time (this hobby is not our full time job)

OK, fair enough,

I'll still stay on the list for the case please.

If the PSU board becomes available, I'll stuff it in a case myself, just need the board.

cheers!

I want one of your kits + PSU please. This is great work everyone. Much appreciated by this lurker  :)

[silent:arts] said:
My GDIY51PSU (work in progress, subjects to be changed etc):

Stuffed:
IMG_5715.JPG

Sorry for the OT, but does anyone know what kind of caps those are (the big guys)?  I have a console PSU that has ones that look just like those, and I need to find good replacements of similar size.  I'd appreciate any info for brand/series, where ya got em, etc....

Thanks! ;D

they are just large caps with plug in leads.  Nothing special about them, you can get them at digikey, mouser, newark, etc.

[silent:arts] said:
My GDIY51PSU (work in progress, subjects to be changed etc):

Top PCB:
GDIY51PSU-rev01-Top-yel.jpg

Stuffed:
IMG_5715.JPG

rev01 problems / to do:
I need to recalculate the voltage setting resistors. I wanted a small setting window, but at the moment I'm 1-2 volt off. this will be just changing the silkscreen / schematic once I have tested other values.

I will make the PCB 5-10mm wider. I did the footprint for the Diotec B80C7000 (EUR 4,99), but ordered this Noname (EUR 0,61) rectifier. Same specs, and should have the same housing - but the cheaper one is just bigger.
Looks good! This was a new colour combination, yellow with red print.

Svart said:
so it's almost the mid of september..  ;D

any news?
we still need some time - waiting for card edge connectors and metal work.

peranders said:
Looks good! This was a new colour combination, yellow with red print.
yes - the backplanes look even better in this combination ;D

may make it easier to see inside the cage , nice
are you taking orders on designer colors , [ kidding ]
I'll take gray blue

okgb said:
are you taking orders on designer colors , [ kidding ]
I'll take gray blue

possible, no problem, but more expensive ;D
you can't read blue on gray easily, but doesn't matter.
just have to find a PCB manufactory with this combination :eek:

Volker..... Are there any PSU PCB's available out of the first run? If there aren't, that's fine. If there are, I would like one or two sets. I can purchase them through our American distributor, Mr. Steiger. All I need is PCB's, schematic and BOM. If there are no extras out of the first run, I can easily just wait until Jeff has these in stock in a couple of months or so. Thanks, DANA.

Hi Dana,

no problem. enough PCBs here from the first prototype run.
keep in mind you need a custom transformer, or multiple "of the shelf" ones.
received the prototype transformers yesterday ;D

Jeff and me haven't talked about him stocking PSUs from me, but no problem from my side.

we will let you know.

hey guys any idea on timeline..  Sorry to pester but I just wired up my the spots on my patchbay for this baby and i'm itching to know. 

Also, a question as far as PWR Supply.

for those of us getting the 18 pin and a PWR supply.  Will the pwr supply that is being designed be able to do both 16+- and 24+-?

Good Work GroupDIY!

dandeurloo said:
hey guys any idea on timeline..  Sorry to pester but I just wired up my the spots on my patchbay for this baby and i'm itching to know.  

Also, a question as far as PWR Supply.

for those of us getting the 18 pin and a PWR supply.  Will the pwr supply that is being designed be able to do both 16+- and 24+-?

Good Work GroupDIY!

Some info in regards to your question.... you can buy the 18 point chassis and it will be backwards compatible. If you look at the provided picture of the pcb layout it is providing both +/- 24V DC and +/-16V DC so it should have you covered. Worst case you would not stuff the 24V sides if not using the 51X format.

Just a little rehash from the 51X web site. http://www.51xAudio.com/alliance/index.html

First, we have the GDIY511. The enclosure can be a standard 19" rack mount. This backplane can be fitted with either of the following:

(11) 1.5" x 5.25" Modules, 15-pin card edge connectors for 500 Series only, no 51X "required" modules
(11) 1.5" x 5.25" Modules, 18-pin card edge connectors for 51X modules, 500 series compatible

Next, we have the GDIY512. The enclosure is console type mount. This backplane can be fitted with either of the following:
(12) 1.5" x 5.25" Modules, 15-pin card edge connectors for 500 Series only, no 51X "required" modules
(12) 1.5" x 5.25" Modules, 18-pin card edge connectors for 51X modules, 500 series compatible

But remember, Volker and Sahib are the driver's of the bus... the man with the plan.... etc... so what ever they says counts 100X more...

Latest posts

Back