GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jsteiger said:
On another complicated note from my aspect, due to the weight of these buggers, USPS gets too expensive for Domestic shipments. UPS is better. UPS is actually easier for me as they come thru my industrial park twice a day like clockwork. I will have to investigate adding UPS as a second shipping option at the store for future sales.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, UPS tends to be an issue cross border. They have things like "brokerage fees" that get tacked on, not to mention everything they deliver tends to get another 12% tax added. For example, I ordered a free sample of an IC from Analog Devices a few years ago, and it ended up costing me over $65 once UPS got a hold of it and delivered it to my door.

On the other hand USPS never tacks on additional processing fees and very rarely do I end up paying any additional tax on packages of all sizes and values.

If UPS turns out to be the solution, you may want to investigate including the proper customs paperwork and make 100% sure that UPS doesn't tack on their outrageous brokerage (retirement fund) fees.

Edit: I see you've already address this, great!  8)

Mark

jsteiger said:
okgb said:
Please keep in mind UPS is a real drag across the border
they make you run around for hours if you don't pay their
extortionist brokerage fee , almost anything but UPS
[ i believe , from here anyway they don't insure either ]

actually Digi key uses them now and something about paying
in Canadian currency  it comes straight to my door
Good to know Greg.

I'll tell you, shipping is a major PIA especially when automating at the store. USPS is the only cost affordable solution for International shipments...when originating from the US of course. FedEx and UPS are so expensive it is ridiculous.

I will check on the actual cost for one rack kit with Domestic shipments. I'll go with whomever is less expensive. I already know that UPS is mucho less for the weight of 2 full kits.

I will just keep it with USPS for our friends North of the border, to make life easier.  ;D

Thanks for the input.

Best, Jeff
Don't you wish USPS had a 21x15x 5 flat rate box? I bet they would get the business of 1/4 of the audio shipping biz in the USA !
Love the pres Jeff was going to order 2 more but ended up buying a Pair of Tannoy 12 SGM's that were at the Music Go Round in Orlando Park ! Plus a Pruple MC76 I found ! but still have funds for my rack!
Eric!

PS Now I'm lusting over your 812s!!!!
I think your going to be my new Habit!

ddageek said:
Don't you wish USPS had a 21x15x 5 flat rate box? I bet they would get the business of 1/4 of the audio shipping biz in the USA !
:D Yes, I wish they did. I looked right away to see but their sizes are not very good for audio. Even with the racks all KD and flat...they just won't work.

It's funny, for Domestic shipments, USPS is way cheaper on the smaller, lighter boxes. Once you get around 4 lbs or so they are close. Anything more than that and UPS becomes much more cost affordable. International is another story.

Love the pres Jeff was going to order 2 more but ended up buying a Pair of Tannoy 12 SGM's that were at the Music Go Round in Orlando Park ! Plus a Pruple MC76 I found ! but still have funds for my rack!
Eric!

PS Now I'm lusting over your 812s!!!!
I think your going to be my new Habit!
Thanks for the kind words Eric.  ;) The Music Go Round in Orland Park is literally 5 minutes from my house! Small world. Make sure you hang onto your rack funds!  8)

Best, Jeff

okgb said:
Please keep in mind UPS is a real drag across the border
they make you run around for hours if you don't pay their
extortionist brokerage fee , almost anything but UPS
[ i believe , from here anyway they don't insure either ]

actually Digi key uses them now and something about paying
in Canadian currency  it comes straight to my door

Hey if this all comes together UPS is fine.  I live close to the NY border.  I have all my stuff shipped to a UPS depot to be held for pickup.  I pick it up.  Pay my taxes at the border - like a good citizen - and away I go.  Only the 30 minute drive.

So... if you want I could pickup what you need and send it off to you in MB!

The thing is that UPS is so cheap and fast state to state.

CC

Couldn't wait any longer... had to build this to hold me over until the 11 slot racks are ready...
API_500_Rack-2.jpg

API_500_Rack-3.jpg

The power supply is from Mnats. The Edacs were rescued from an old Cooper Time Cube enclosure that looked like it had been dropped off a truck. The aluminum L-brackets holding the Edacs in place are from a Urei 527A EQ. Since this was built for prototyping API 500 modules, the meter is switchable to read volts and amps on either side of the bipolar supply.  The toggle switches on the back select whether Pin 1 on the XLRs is connected to chassis ground, audio ground or floating. The blacklight LEDs show power good for both +V and -V.

This project took a huge amount of time for something so seemingly simple. The moral of the story is, be patient with the guys generously offering the API rack  project to the group. There's a LOT more work in it than first meets the eye.

Now it's time to build some modules!

Joe

Im in for sure. I have always wanted to try the 500 series but I only do DIY now so there hasnt been an option for me - till now

Im in

ETA on this? 

No hurry, I just need to gauge the time frame that I have to either buy/build 500 series preamps or stay with what I have for now because I have some sessions coming up soon. 

Thanks!

New member and completely on board with the DIY 500 series rack project, so count me in.

peace,

john in NJ

I have five production samples in hand and I am seeing the fabricator for the rest of the manufacture tomorrow. At which time I will also hand over  the drawings for the 19" 2U PSU case. They will be giving me again five production samples within a week. Once I put a psu together I'll post the images of the set here.

I am now full on the case and we are almost there just stay tuned.

sahib said:
I have five production samples in hand and I am seeing the fabricator for the rest of the manufacture tomorrow. At which time I will also hand over  the drawings for the 19" 2U PSU case. They will be giving me again five production samples within a week. Once I put a psu together I'll post the images of the set here.

I am now full on the case and we are almost there just stay tuned.
Good news Cemal! How is the #4-40 situation coming along? Was that able to happen on these 5?

Best, Jeff

Whoha! your website is a killer!

literally.

That odd password query totally managed to crash my up to date Firefox browser.

[silent:arts] said:
with this news I think it is time to start advertising my upcoming web-shop:

;D ;D ;D
My goodness Volker! That is fvcking amazing! You have out done yourself I do believe!!

Great work my friend.  ;)

I for one can hardly wait until you are "open for biz".  8)

Best, Jeff

Hi Volker,
you´ve been very busy! Excellent work! Believe me, it´s not only you being proud of all that wonderful gear we´ve been able to build with your pcb artwork. Thanks a lot!! P.S: Wolfenbüttel is a beautiful town for a weekend trip, you and your family are welcome.
regards
Bernd

Back