GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, no news about availability yet :'(

PSU: at least my PSU PCB covers all needed voltages, +/- 16V, +/-24V and 48V.
got the heavy custom made transformer, will do a test today :D

(btw thanks to Mr. Müller - ordered one and received two) ;D

Good news boys!  :D

18 pin card edge connectors are on their way to me right now! I should have them tomorrow (Friday 9-25) or by next Monday the 28th at the latest.

That leaves us with the metal. Cemal has picked up 5 racks from his metal shop today. He has made a few minor tweaks. Once he approves this version, the next 95pc will be about one week out. That should be the end of next week!!

We are also gonna have 15 pin card edge connectors on hand. This will save a few bucks for those who do not have a need for the 24V option.

Cheers!
Jeff

OK gents. I think this is a little exciting but maybe I'm strange.

I received 18kg, almost 40lbs worth of connectors today! It's one big box of connectors!  :eek:

There are 12 boxes of 100pc here. I counted. Just kidding. That's enough for 109 11 space racks. They will go fast!

big-box.jpg

Ohh so pretty in blue  :p

close-up.jpg

Time to think about firing up the irons... ;D

Cheers, Jeff

Two production samples have just been delivered to Jeff. I had to make few tweaks but now the production has commenced and the whole batch will be ready within a week or ten days. I was exteremely busy with a couple of jobs and I have not been able to spend much time on this project. So it has been a bit slow. But from next Tuesday I'll get back to it full steam on.

Hey Red, just as a reminder, you are still on credit. 

Long time lurker, first time poster:

So what kind of price are we looking at for one of these units?

I've been considering building myself a 500 series rack using a Vector card cage as others have done, but the cost seems to come close to the Big Rack Audio kit. I enjoy building my own gear, but a part of that is the higher price/ performance ratio. If a kit costs the same, what's the point, you know?

I'd love to pick one up, but I gotta know how much it is!

The +-24v rail idea is excellent, and the backwards compatibility is awesome. This is the kind of innovation that doesn't seem to exist in the mainstream market, with it's price-points and competitive (read: copycat) design philosophy. Cheers to everybody in this forum!

Was a price every settled on for the power supply/power supply PCB?

Since these are going to be kits and I don't need the output XLRs will there be a choice to leave those out for lower pricing?

Just wondering, I'd hate to have a bunch of XLR jacks that I won't use.

Ok, I'm in too, if I'm not too late! Put me down for one 11 slot. I'll take a PSU PCB too, if that's an option. I'm in the US of A, if anyone's askin.

Thanks,
-Dave

Svart said:
Was a price every settled on for the power supply/power supply PCB?
No, not yet. I am quite sure it will be under $1000.  :D  I am only kidding! It has not been determined yet but will be very cost affordable like the rack.
Since these are going to be kits and I don't need the output XLRs will there be a choice to leave those out for lower pricing?

Just wondering, I'd hate to have a bunch of XLR jacks that I won't use.
I will have the kits set up like this on my website. The complicated thing is that this entire first run will never be listed on my site. If I do that, people who have requested a rack here on this thread could miss out and that is not cool. I plan on either invoicing individually or maybe doing a Google spreadsheet like Peterc did for his 5003 eq's. That way, everyone can see exactly what they ordering. It will be an easy way to keep track of who has paid also.

On another complicated note from my aspect, due to the weight of these buggers, USPS gets too expensive for Domestic shipments. UPS is better. UPS is actually easier for me as they come thru my industrial park twice a day like clockwork. I will have to investigate adding UPS as a second shipping option at the store for future sales.

I have a lot of work to do here...I better stop fvcking off and get to it.  ;)

Cheers, Jeff

Please keep in mind UPS is a real drag across the border
they make you run around for hours if you don't pay their
extortionist brokerage fee , almost anything but UPS
[ i believe , from here anyway they don't insure either ]

actually Digi key uses them now and something about paying
in Canadian currency  it comes straight to my door

okgb said:
Please keep in mind UPS is a real drag across the border
they make you run around for hours if you don't pay their
extortionist brokerage fee , almost anything but UPS
[ i believe , from here anyway they don't insure either ]

actually Digi key uses them now and something about paying
in Canadian currency  it comes straight to my door
Good to know Greg.

I'll tell you, shipping is a major PIA especially when automating at the store. USPS is the only cost affordable solution for International shipments...when originating from the US of course. FedEx and UPS are so expensive it is ridiculous.

I will check on the actual cost for one rack kit with Domestic shipments. I'll go with whomever is less expensive. I already know that UPS is mucho less for the weight of 2 full kits.

I will just keep it with USPS for our friends North of the border, to make life easier.  ;D

Thanks for the input.

Best, Jeff

Latest posts

Back