MAIKU capsules – Store Open

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped it in a 49ish mic, sounds fantastic, night and day to the chinese capsule a had in the mic to test it.

TLRT said:
Small test,4mics(one tubemic), 2 of them has the K87, if you want to listen and guess here is the link:

https://we.tl/L2jBOpeJTY

Really nice files & beautiful voice!

I received my capsules (they look great), and have a few questions:
There are 4 short and 1 longer screws in the bag with the black leads, I take it 2 of the short ones are to attach the mount and 2 for the capsule base-plate contact, what is the longer one for?
There is no screw included for the mount to mic, what size is it?
It appears the CK-12 type has 2 isolated base-plates, for common base-plate applications is it correct to use the included 2 hole lug screwed to the 2 closely aligned holes in the base-plates?
Are all the holes in the blue area of the outer ring base-plate contact points?

Thanks

nielsk said:
I received my capsules (they look great), and have a few questions:
There are 4 short and 1 longer screws in the bag with the black leads, I take it 2 of the short ones are to attach the mount and 2 for the capsule base-plate contact, what is the longer one for?
There is no screw included for the mount to mic, what size is it?
It appears the CK-12 type has 2 isolated base-plates, for common base-plate applications is it correct to use the included 2 hole lug screwed to the 2 closely aligned holes in the base-plates?
Are all the holes in the blue area of the outer ring base-plate contact points?

Thanks

Hi Nielsk,

- the longer screw and washer are for the K87's. You can use it to replace one of the saddle screws, and connect one of the wires through the saddle. The washer is to cover the hole, to keep the wire on the outside. Let me know if that makes sense, otherwise can post a picture.

- the gold 2-hole solder tag is for the CK12, to tie the backplates together using the holes you mention. When you've mounted the CK12 in the saddle, the remaining holes are backplate connections. All the wire baggies for the K87's and CK12's are the same. They all include the longer screw, washer, and double tag.

- the capsule mounts are M3.

Dear Banzai
great voice on your samples !
i find this k87 a bit too much sibilant for my taste...
do you think that the k47 performs better in that area ?
regards

granger.frederic said:
Dear Banzai
great voice on your samples !
i find this k87 a bit too much sibilant for my taste...
do you think that the k47 performs better in that area ?
regards

If you mean TLRT's samples, that's 4 different mics. Only 2 of the mics have the K87.

oh sorry !
all are a bit sibilant for me, especially C and D
anyway , do you think that the Maiku k47 is softer than the Maiku K87 in the sibilant area ?

regards

granger.frederic said:
oh sorry !
anyway , do you think that the Maiku k47 is softer than the Maiku K87 in the sibilant area ?

regards

Those are processed recordings and the Hungarian consonants can sound agressive :) I don't think Maiku would be to essy(I compared all the remakes) Btw C is a very expensive "commercial" microphone(if it means anything:)
Listen this, also recorded with k87, API512 pre, Retro STA leveller, UA Apollo AD,no further processing:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/711ds1os5q1d3vx/u87_v2_Biga.mp3

granger.frederic said:
oh sorry !

regards

To be honest, because the applications are different, I've never compared them to each other in the same circuit.
Can't tell you if there is a difference.

Sibilance hasn't been a problem for me with either though. They're not bright capsules.

karloff70 said:
Any news on the web shop coming on line to be able to buy these, or better still, another cheeky round of White Market behaviour including k47's at all?  8)

A run of 200pcs is in production now – should be ready by mid December, and available from the shop (will definitely be online by then, as it will only be sold through there).

Pricing is planned to be very competitive too: 1 for €200, 3 for €400 etc. upto 10pcs for €1'100

Great for groupbuys, as you only need to get together an order for 10pcs. to drop to max discount.

A (fair, objective, if not even scientific) comparison between Maiku and AA capsules might be quite interesting ;) (given that the latter retail for 100e right off the bat...)

The difference in performance between Maiku's and standard Chinese capsules can be a bit dramatic.

I'd aim higher for a test ;)

Khron said:
A (fair, objective, if not even scientific) comparison between Maiku and AA capsules might be quite interesting ;) (given that the latter retail for 100e right off the bat...)

I don't have AA capsules, but I have several K47 from microphone parts, which is the same idea.  I believe both companies buy from the same chinese place and do quality control on them before reselling - weeding out the ones that don't meet spec.

Anyways, the U47 clone I built isn't even in the same neighborhood as the mics I've built with the chinese capsules. 

The big difference to my ears is that placing the microphone is much easier.  I throw that mic up, put something in front of it, and it sounds great.  I've gotten good sounds out of the chinese mics, but it seemed like I was always fighting phase between my acoustic guitar and vocal mic, or getting woofy sounds, or just generally not being too happy and having to move the mic around a bunch.

Latest posts

Back