MixBuzz1 Build/Support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tekno808 said:
Igor,

Finished my MixBuzz (see pic) everyhthing is working just have problems with meter calibration, i dont realy understand what you mean in meter calibration 1). Check the offset....

Is it normal that leds -22db lights up with no signal after calibration, with in/out switch position ?

Danny.

Fwiw, the leftmost led on my meter is also lit with no signal present.

Igor,

About the 12v regulator used for the relay's and LED Meter , i measured the temperature and I've got about 67° celcius !!
Is this not too hot if you think this is with open case !

Danny.

RELEASE BOARD - What goes in the FOUR TBD areas?

1) Resistor slot
2) Resistor slot
3) Rectangle cap slot
4) Round cap slot

My front panel goes from .1 sec to 1.5 second and I have the DUAL switch.

Ya, I read the previous answer that Igor put up but heck..... I only want to order stuff ONCE and am not interested in 'experimenting'!

5)What do I use specifically that is best or most often used?!

6) Is it supplied in the kit?

Attachments

• TBD.jpg
    TBD.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 106
piano said:
RELEASE BOARD - What goes in the FOUR TBD areas?

1) Resistor slot
2) Resistor slot
3) Rectangle cap slot
4) Round cap slot

My front panel goes from .1 sec to 1.5 second and I have the DUAL switch.

Ya, I read the previous answer that Igor put up but heck..... I only want to order stuff ONCE and am not interested in 'experimenting'!

5)What do I use specifically that is best or most often used?!

6) Is it supplied in the kit?

This is for when you use a front panel with the 6 step release .1 to 1.2s and auto ! if you have a front panel with release .1 to 1.5s and dual switch then use the mod with relesase and attack potmeter ! see attachement.

Danny.

Attachments

• MB1_attrel_wiring.jpg
    MB1_attrel_wiring.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 61
Thank you for your answer Danny. :)  Just a few more clarifications from anyone please.

1) Can I use the SOFT/TIGHT and DUAL switches with the stepped LORIN switch/pcb stock Igor kit build --- instead of using pots?

2) Why are there the TBD positions on Release and what do they do?

3) What does the SOFT and TIGHT do?

piano said:
Thank you for your answer Danny. :)  Just a few more clarifications from anyone please.

1) Can I use the SOFT/TIGHT and DUAL switches with the stepped LORIN switch/pcb stock Igor kit build --- instead of using pots?

3) What does the SOFT and TIGHT do?

1) Soft/Tight ..Yes , the dual i'm not sure !

2) this is for the 0.9s release option ,if you search and read the forum you find enough info about this !

3) On some audio compressors you may see the terms hard-knee (Tight) and soft-knee.
Hard-knee compression kicks into its full compression amount as soon as the threshold is crossed.
Soft-knee compression kicks in gradually as the threshold is crossed. Soft-knee is a smoother sound.

which front-panel do you use ?

Grtzz....

Danny.

After having a panel made for me I am unhappy with I am having another one made. So I am free to do what I wish. Thank you for answering my Questions you could Danny : )

1) Can I use the DUAL switch with the stepped LORIN switch/pcb stock Igor kit build --- instead of using pots?

ANYONE?

IGOR? Anyone?

1) Can I use the DUAL switch with the stepped LORIN switch/pcb stock Igor kit build --- instead of using pots?

AW_music said:
Hi,

Igor, where are you disappeared ?  ??? ???
We need your help and support,
we need to finish Mixbuzz ,  ;D ;D !

So please, take a break .....
.....and come here with us !!  ;)

Sorry, guys, I was bloody busy with work, had to finish 3 projects at same time.
Finally, here, and passing on questions....10-20 min, please!

Simplest first)

Crimp connectors:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=39459.msg493286#msg493286

piano said:
Does the switch get placed this way?

Yes; for dual Lorlin switches, it doesn't matter, saw this already answered, just to confirm.

piano said:
C1, C44, C8, 8 pin inline chip sockets (do I have to order them -did not come with kit) and 20K questions in picture.

Yes, 4x20k are used wit 4x VCA's. 20k resistors should be supplied in kit.
C1=10nF, ceramic
For 8-pin SIP sockets, just cut 16 pin sockets supplied with the kit
C44=0.1uf
c8=22pF

Capacitors at picture:
334 is 0.33uF (C40, 42)
u47 is 0.47uf, poly, used with release switch assembly
u1 blue caps on photo: 0.1uF, poly, btw, C44 as well
220=22pF, COG

piano said:
C29L, C29R, CP11 Questions??? These are the parts I have left.

c29L, C29R are 22...47pf, COG, used in sidechain VCA opamps feedback
CP11 is 47nF....0.33uF ceramic

piano said:
C40, C42 Questions as in Picture:

already answered, 334 (0.33uF)

piano said:
CM5, CM6 Questions as in Picture:

Electrolyte, 10uF/25V, 6mm diam; should be supplied with kit

piano said:
Molex question. I used all the Molex supplied. What do I use to hook up wires to the front panel?

Solder them directly

With the LED Meter kit i received Q1&Q2 2N4403 !! it's referenced also in the LED Meter BOM as a equivalent for the 2N3904 !!

This is not wright !!! The 2N4403 is a PNP transistor and the 2N3904 is a NPN !
The 2N3904 is the wright one ! if you put the 2N4403 you got full meter readout even without the ic4 CD4016 !
If you already installed ic4 with the 2N4403 then ic4 is dead !!
Yes, here is a mistake, I used package from 4403, BUT the right transistor is 2N3904, 2N4401 or PN2222 etc.
In case 4403 installed, I doubt IC4 will be damaged..anyway.
If you got wrong transistors (2N4403) with kit and cannot source 2N3904 or PN2222
(they available from every electronic shop for approx. $0.1), just let me know, will send them for free.

@funball2:

relay is 300 ohm , get little warm , do i need to change r33 on powersupply ?
also 7812 on psu gets about 90 celcius ....

Did you installed 7812 on heatsink?
300 Ohm relay coil resistance is VERY low. When unit is IN and MIX engaged, the
current consumption of 7x300 Ohm relays will be 300mA!!!
It is more than whole unit with all possible bells and whistles.
Changing R33 will not help much... bigger heatsink yes, or, I was doing next:
Hakko808 etc, care, patience, change relays to 1K coil.

@piano:
Does anyone have a .dxf or .fpd (Front Panel Designer) file for the Mixbuzz?

Corel file supplied with the docs. You can convert from Corel to .plt and import to fpd.....
I am not familar with FPD, if someone did the front in .fpd-feel free to post!!!

Have to sleep on Mata question, and will post answers to all questions tomorrow.

Igor said:
Have to sleep on Mata question, and will post answers to all questions tomorrow.

thank you...i NEED TO MAKE IT WORK!!! it's such a shame... and I have been looking at those boards for days and days...

Mattia.

Igor said:
Did you installed 7812 on heatsink?
300 Ohm relay coil resistance is VERY low. When unit is IN and MIX engaged, the
current consumption of 7x300 Ohm relays will be 300mA!!!
It is more than whole unit with all possible bells and whistles.
Changing R33 will not help much... bigger heatsink yes, or, I was doing next:
Hakko808 etc, care, patience, change relays to 1K coil.

Hi Igor,
According to your BOM your suggestions for relays are number 9860568 or 9913718. These two relays have a coil resistance of respectively  288 ohm and 360 ohm. I think most people might have selected relays with coil resistance around 300 ohm. I still have a little wiring to do on my unit, so I have not experienced the temperature of the 7812 yet. Will I have a problem with the suggested Omron relay?

OMG i soldered all the pins of the led bar and did not check for polarity....is it important,
because i can't find any polarity info on the bar itself and i'm not interested in desoldering if it's not necessary

Do a diode test. I did the same thing without looking and I tested and they were both right.

STILL UNANSWERED BELOW. Sometimes all these great options confuse things tremendously.

Hi piano,
Question number 2: This is an extra release setting. You can decide if you want to add this or not. Igor wrote about these TBD values in the two first pages of this thread. On page 8 of this thread it seems like you have a good candidate for the TBD cap value.

piano said:
STILL UNANSWERED BELOW. Sometimes all these great options confuse things tremendously.

Thanks Parup! Gee, I can not find what caps to use or resistors for what release value. I think I will leave this alone since I find no great recommendations.

STILL UNANSWERED BELOW.

Latest posts

Back