My New 1U GSSL Design (AKA SB4000) RELEASED!!! - GOTO PAGE 9 FOR ORDERING INFO!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too close to completing my 2 GSSLs to switch to this one now, but if I were to build another I would definitely make it a SB4000!

joe-electro said:
Any chance you might post board layouts for those masochists among us who like to fab our own boards?

Thanks,

Joe

Sorry, no can do.  Significant time and money invested in the project.

mac said:
hey ruckus, what is the multipin crimp connector you are using on the ribbon cable?

Congrats by the way - looking awesome...

mac

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=XG4M-2030-Tvirtualkey65300000virtualkey653-XG4M-2030-T

Thanks!

Ringwraith said:
Ok, it's been a week Ruckus since your last post.
What's the latest update on this? :)

Sean

Update..... hmm... well......

How's this?

SB4000_Rev2_PCB.jpg

More info tomorrow.  Just finished stuffing that bad boy.  Going to bed ;D

livingnote said:
You can clearly see that you do a lot of PCB design, that's some packing rock'n'roll!
Yeah ... and he stole your "mojo no-name grey cap" secret as well. ...dang. Somebody teach this guy some manners.

stereokillah said:
respect for your work , where did you take pictures? in picture's studio?

there a lot a trimmer  more than 10 what about it please?

HA!  In my dining room with a piece of white paper and a wife that does graphic arts lol.  Thanks for the compliment though ;D

Pots, yes alot of em haha.

All but 3 are optional.  You don't have to put them, but I wanted to give the ability to fine tune the critical areas that people are always having to jerry rig a pot onto.  And all but 3 places the less precise single turn will work fine.  I used mostly multiturn because for prototype I need to be able to really fine tune.  The pots are for:

QTY 2 - THD Trim
QTY 2 - Unity Gain (Or install a single 27K and forget it)
QTY 4 - Fine tuning L/R/In/Out Bargraph channels.  If you tweak your unity gain, then you'll deinfiately want to use these for your outputs at least.  If you use set values and use a fixed resistor for unity gain your bargraph tolerance will be within +/- .3db or so.  There's really no way around this.  Alot of resistors between your input and output.
QTY 1 - Overall Bargraph Vref Level.
QTY 2 - Adjustable Regulators.  Here a more precise multiturn would probably be a good idea.  Or you can just insert a fixed resistor and forget it.
QTY 1 - Ratio Calibration
QTY 1 - Meter Calibration
QTY 6 - HPF/T1/T2 Calibration like on SSC boards.

Hope that helps.

Wow Ruckus that is a masterpiece! Glad you stuck with it! And sure most of us here will agree. :)

I like the extra trimmers. I had to add at least 1 to mine if I remember correctly... Or 2. Like l/r balance and meter trim. Or something. I forget but couldn't use it stock. How do you set the thd trimmer? Do you need special equipment?

Awesome job!
John

Stagefright13 said:
Wow Ruckus that is a masterpiece! Glad you stuck with it! And sure most of us here will agree. :)

I like the extra trimmers. I had to add at least 1 to mine if I remember correctly... Or 2. Like l/r balance and meter trim. Or something. I forget but couldn't use it stock. How do you set the thd trimmer? Do you need special equipment?

Awesome job!
John

Haha thanks John.  Yea, those are a couple that I added (Seems like alot of people tend to want to trim the IN/Out for perfect unity gain, meter, and ratio, so now you can).  For THD I just used RMAA.  Adjust, run test.  Adjust, run test, etc repeat.  I know it may not be as accurate as an actual distortion anylyzer, but it's free and 99% of us here aren't going to have access to one anyways.  And my logic even if it's a little off it'll still give lower distortion than a pretrimmed.  According to that with the DBX202's I have in there I'm getting about .025%.

I'm testing now, I was wrong with my previous statement and had to go back over my own work lol.  If you do adjust for perfect unity gain, bargraph is giving me +/- .2 - .3 db with fixed 1% resistors on all 4 bargraph channels.

With trimmers on the 4 channels like in my pic it's deadly accurate.  I used a full wave peak detector circuit, and accuracy is less than .1db, that's as low as my system can increment.

One thing I have to say tho wich may sound stupid... But I hate the lorins with the flat spots in them. (shafts)

They kick my ass every time with knob selection. Ya gotta choose knobs with 2 set screws. If using a knob with 1 set screw it will ALWAYS hit at some weird angle of that flat.

Kinda like putting air in your motorcycle tire. The valve stem will ALWAYS be behind the muffler or the shock. LOL. Stupid analogy I know.

I know just another stupid post from me.

Doesn't detract whatsoever from your project. And obviously a perfectionist like me!

John

Cool I can just adjust with what I have now. Hey thanks. But trust me I had to add trimmers to make my gssl worthy of use. Not that it sounded bad but the trimmers you added are needed for professional use. Great job!

John

EDIT yeah make that 3 trimmers I added. I remember the unity gain one now...

Stagefright13 said:
One thing I have to say tho wich may sound stupid... But I hate the lorins with the flat spots in them. (shafts)

They kick my ass every time with knob selection. Ya gotta choose knobs with 2 set screws. If using a knob with 1 set screw it will ALWAYS hit at some weird angle of that flat.

Kinda like putting air in your motorcycle tire. The valve stem will ALWAYS be behind the muffler or the shock. LOL. Stupid analogy I know.

I know just another stupid post from me.

Doesn't detract whatsoever from your project. And obviously a perfectionist like me!

John

On the old version, yes.  Drove me nuts too.  Fixed that on mine (provided you're going to have your front panel arranged like mine/or use my front panels).

Latest posts

Back