Official 33609 builder's tread. See 1st page for updates.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm - I guess I didn't really go through all of the case hardware I have. The 33609 was the first on the list, so I haven't even seen the angle brackets you are referring to. Sounds like they are a bit of a kludge, so I'm going for the stacked nut approach. Did you have to use different bolts too?

Thanks,

Josh

how much spacing (in terms of height) is needed between the two channels? I'd like to use carnhills, and don't know how high they are?

thanks!
christoph

[quote author="crisotop"]how much spacing (in terms of height) is needed between the two channels? I'd like to use carnhills, and don't know how high they are?

thanks!
christoph[/quote]

Hi, it`s excatly 2.4 cm when you put them on the pcb so that the pins are on the side and not on the top. There is exaclty 1 position that you can still connect them with the INTR1 and 2 without interfering with others components.

I have 2 pictures but I don`t know how to upload them here...

Does anybody help me out with the wiring of the VTB 9045 and VTB 9046 ? Are the two primary and two secondary sections in serial ?

Uwe[/quote][/url]

[quote author="uwi20040"]

[/quote]

upload your images to a host like photobucket.com and then put the link it gives you in between
tags.

Does anybody help me out with the wiring of the VTB 9045 and VTB 9046 ? Are the two primary and two secondary sections in serial ?

Uwe[/quote]

I'd also be interested in this if anyone could post?

[quote author="rob_gould"][quote author="uwi20040"]

[/quote]

Uwe[/quote]

I'd also be interested in this if anyone could post?[/quote]

From page 6

Hi!
It is impossible to fit Marinairs direct to pcb.
Their height is 37mm, add pcb twice, it comes to 80 mm,
there's no enough height iside 2RU rack.
Use 5 pin Molex connectors for this purpose
marked INTR1 and INTR2.
Pads are marked pri, +, -, G, sec, +, -.
Just put small boards with holes beneath your Marinairs,
fix them with cable nylon ties (strips), and solder directly to 5-pin connectors with wires.
Pri's in series and sec's in series.
That's all!
-------------------------------------
Pri +
Pri - 5
Connect 3 - 4
G = 6
Sec + 7
Sec - 10
Connect 8 - 9
Leave 11 NC

That's how i've done it.
But haven't powerd mine up yet, so hope this is the right way.

I think that the original poster, and me certainly, was not looking for a description of how to physically fit the transformers onto the PCB, just a description of how they're connected.

pimD. PLease let us know if you're successful when you power up your 33609

[quote author="waldorfcave"]
What are those meters!? Look like Sifams? You're not using the lighting kit? Are you just putting lights above the meters on your own? Are they LEDs? How'd you mount them?

Yes, meters are Sifam. No illumination kit. Just put two 12v lamps over the meters. Like igor does. I used hot-melt adhesive.[/quote]

Lars, which Sifam model, please?

[quote author="rob_gould"]I think that the original poster, and me certainly, was not looking for a description of how to physically fit the transformers onto the PCB, just a description of how they're connected.

pimD. PLease let us know if you're successful when you power up your 33609[/quote]

Sure will let you know. :thumb:

waldorfcave wrote:
Quote:
What are those meters!? Look like Sifams? You're not using the lighting kit? Are you just putting lights above the meters on your own? Are they LEDs? How'd you mount them?

Yes, meters are Sifam. No illumination kit. Just put two 12v lamps over the meters. Like igor does. I used hot-melt adhesive.

Lars, which Sifam model, please?

As found in the BOM on page 1
Sifam AL19WF (farnell order nr: 1262061)
Or as the original: Director 14

[quote author="maxheadroom"]does anybody know from where i can get the belclere transformer for this project.
i want to get close to the original one.[/quote]

If you want close to the original, get the Marinairs...

:wink:

At one point Purusha had some Belcleres

[quote author="maxheadroom"]does anybody know from where i can get the belclere transformer for this project.
i want to get close to the original one.[/quote]

The Belcleres are not the original transformers for the 33609, they were used on the later versions made by Neve but the original units used a 31267 on the input, a 10468 after the diode bridge and a LO1173 on the output.

Some people claim to hear no difference, others dislike the Belcleres. I'm still gathering parts for mine but I've gone with the original line-up for the transformers. Carnhill make re-issues of all of the relevant Marinairs - take a look at Audio Maintenance.

It took me a long time to understand the various versions and revisions of the 33606 and 2254. There is a ton of info out there, great posts by Geoff Tanner and others on Geoff's site and Gearslutz. Also plenty of good info here.

Cheers,
Ruairi

I need some help!

I have everything hooked up, but I'm getting some weird voltages on my channel 2 board - specifically around TR1:

TR1
E= 23.76
B= 23.21
C= Starts around 8v then drops over 10 min or so to below .1

TR13
E=apprx 9v then drops
B=apprx 9v then drops
C=23.22

Every time I power off and back on, TR13 E & B start back at 9v as well as TR1 collector starts back up at 8v and the meter pegs and stays. I have yet to calibrate, but my channel 1 doesn't do this. I have checked all solder joints and component orientation.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Josh

EDIT: Replaced TR1 no difference. Flipping the link switch to "IN" causes meter 1 to peg. Same problem even with Byp_Link_mtr board disconnected from channel 2 motherboard...

EDIT 2: Strangely enough I am getting a difference measuring resistance from the emitter to the collector on a bunch of the transistors between channel 1 and 2. On channel 2 (the screwy one) it seems like the ohm-meter is charging a capacitor causing the resistance to climb. On channel 1 this doesn't happen. Unfortunately all of the caps are correctly installed. Anyone know what would cause this "charging" effect?? Should I just start replacing caps at random? I'm not sure what to do... already lifted a pad replacing TR1...

Igor? Anyone have any idea, or should I just start tearing this thing apart and replacing parts at random?

Thanks,

J

I'm having a problem with one of my BA340. The problem is setting the preset pot so that I get 250-280mA across the 10R. It doesn't seem to settle. I set it midway & the voltage will start to creep up, so I reduce it slightly & it starts to fall. SO I tweak it up a little & it starts going into thermal runaway, so I tweak it down etc etc etc

I can't seem to find an equilibrium. What I'm wondering is if the missing heatsink stabilises the temperature between different transistors, to keep things stable ? Anyone got any thoughts ?

Hi Rob-

I'm not sure if this is of much help, but no one else seems to be checking this thread...

I am using original BA340s, and without the heatsinks on I have no problem getting the draw to stabilize on either of them. Perhaps you have an iffy transistor? I seem to recall Igor saying he wasn't using heatsinks and he had no problem.

Best of luck...

Josh

I have to tell you Rob - I'm going out of my f'in mind here. I have removed all of the electrolytic caps and ohm'd them. I've replaced all of the suspect transistors... I really am stumped. Something on the board is somehow grounded that shouldn't be. It's really a bit over my head (which has currently separated from my body).

:evil:

Any luck on your end?

-J

I'm trying to order the toroidal power supply transformer through Avel Lindberg (the best place here in the U.S. to get them from).

They are out of the 30VA versions, but have 25VA. They won't have any more 30VA until August. Does anyone know if 25VA is enough current for the power supply?

Many thanks,

Nick

Latest posts

Back