The microphone capsule photo and information thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MBHO Haun CK12 type capsule
Is this KA1000N? Here's the published graph. The capsule behaves almost as an omni according to the measurements. Do you know what's up with that? Could it be they uploaded wrong graphs, or is there some other explanation? How does the one you have behave?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_012554_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_012554_Brave.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240825_012541_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_012541_Brave.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
Is this KA1000N? Here's the published graph. The capsule behaves almost as an omni according to the measurements. Do you know what's up with that? Could it be they uploaded wrong graphs, or is there some other explanation? How does the one you have behave?
I don't know about their graphs. They are more than 20 years old. The capsules I have of theirs measure almost exactly as an AKG EB era CK12 with a midrange bump at around 500hz. I have not measured their polar pattern but it sounds like a CK12 off axis by my ears.

Sorry guys if this is a bit off topic, but do you know which capsule is in the M-Audio Nova ? and which one sounds "better" between M-Audio Nova (ref ?) and Studio Project B1 (797audio) ?
The M-Audio body has more space, is more practical for DIY and close to U87 shape...
The SP B1 has a nice sounding capsule but less space for DIY...

Sorry guys if this is a bit off topic, but do you know which capsule is in the M-Audio Nova ? and which one sounds "better" between M-Audio Nova (ref ?) and Studio Project B1 (797audio) ?
The M-Audio body has more space, is more practical for DIY and close to U87 shape...
The SP B1 has a nice sounding capsule but less space for DIY...
Feilo, similar if not the same as Manley Ref C.

Sorry guys if this is a bit off topic, but do you know which capsule is in the M-Audio Nova ?
Some pics of the M Audio Nova, early version with Wima cap mod.

1000038073.jpg1000038068.jpg1000038070.jpg1000038071.jpg1000038072.jpg

Feilo, similar if not the same as Manley Ref C
Whoa, that would be cool. 😅 Ref C is quite expensive. Does anybody have some capsule photos of the Manley Ref C?
and which one sounds "better" between M-Audio Nova (ref ?) and Studio Project B1 (797audio) ?
I had both but not at the same time, so I never compared them directly. I think both capsules sound good for the budget I don't like the electronics that much in both mics, good candidates for mods...

Edit: M Audio Nova got the better body and head basket in my opinion.

Last edited:
I had both but not at the same time, so I never compared them directly. I think both capsules sound good for the budget I don't like the electronics that much in both mics, good candidates for mods...

Edit: M Audio Nova got the better body and head basket in my opinion.
Hi Rock ! yes the body and the headbasket seem close to U87's
I can see that the Nova has a OTR : do you know which ref. and ratio ?
BR

Last edited:
Hi Rock ! yes the body and the headbasket seem close to U87's
I can see that the Nova has a OTR : do you know which ref. and ratio ?
BR
I haven't measured the output transformer yet, member @Gus says in this thread it would be 5:1, which is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was lower though...I'll measure it when I get a chance.

As I said, there were at least two versions (TTH vs SMD), I'm not sure if the circuit and transformer stayed the same throughout.
do you know which ref.
What do you mean with ref.? :cool:

I found these pics of the Neumann KM56 capsule here on the WWW.

Front:
View attachment 135576
Back:
View attachment 135577
Thanks to the original poster. (y)
Decca's famous complete recording of The Ring of the Nibelung was recorded with a Decca Tree of three of these babies (in cardioid mode); one of the few they made with mics other than the M 50 (M 50 still used on the outriggers). You can just barely make them out in the photo from a von Karajan session in the Sofiensaal, Vienna, where the Ring was also recorded.

Also a great live recording of the Ted Heath big band made in Kingsway Hall ('Swing Session', 1959); every mic used was a KM 56 (probably combination of card and fig-8).

Attachments

• TH B.jpg
    TH B.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • vonKarajan wKM-56 tree copy.jpg
    vonKarajan wKM-56 tree copy.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 2
  • vonKarajan wKM-56 tree.jpg
    vonKarajan wKM-56 tree.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
sorry, what brand (what reference like Neutrik has NTE10/3)
Generic chinese transformer, I don't know the brand name or model designation.
5:1 seems high for this type of circuit, no ? one Fet first (certainly K170) followed by a bjt with emitter output...
I agree, I expect something in the 2:1 to 3:1 range but we will see when I measure it. It is quite possible that the OPT has been changed over the years. I have seen this with other Chinese microphones models in the past.

Back