The Rude Tube Build / Support Thread (MAJ + PSU)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also:

Now that it is more or less working...

Anders meters, Carnhill iron, MEC switches, Piher pots, Banzai aluminum knobs. I went for a batman black-black-black scheme :p. Just have to dial in the level of distortion I'm getting and figure out the overdrive switch, but other than that it's working and sounding nice big and fat! Samples when I get it under control..

For the distortion switch you can´t use an on/off/on switch. You need a three position toggle switch as shown here:
http://www.musikding.de/Schalter/Kippschalter/Kippschalter-DP3T-ON-Z-ON::2060.html
regards
Bernd

bernbrue said:
For the distortion switch you can´t use an on/off/on switch. You need a three position toggle switch as shown here:
http://www.musikding.de/Schalter/Kippschalter/Kippschalter-DP3T-ON-Z-ON::2060.html
regards
Bernd

Hi Bernd, thanks, I have a similar MEC switch: http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC-M-80008-A-black-Toggle-on-on-on-DPDT.html I will just have to figure out how to connect it. My math-major girlfriend is home, so she will be getting a small task :p

I reversed the primary/secondary of the OT (since there is no doc for it, exactly, just for a supposedly similar transformer from carnhill) and there was a much bigger level and less bass, so I came to conclusion that the way it was wired before is OK!

I think just inserting a defeatable 20dB pad before the unit would do it for me. There is a "PAD" connector on the PCB, so I think I'll try with that shorted and see if it's more to my liking.

So far, as a send that I can blend in, it works very well, but I would like to use it as an insert too.

The input stage distorts after about -10dBFS of my TC konnekt interface. If I obey gain staging, going in -10dB before FS, it sounds great and is "tamed" :)  Still, I would like to change the input EF86 to be like triode instead of pentode, so following 6au6 example, do I just need to cut R3, C3 out of circuit and link the now hanging grid to plate (say, after R2)?

PK4 mode is GORGEOUS on drums!! Good work man, love it! I now have everything operational, but need to tweak it a bit more for my uses :)

Hi,
you should install an input pad before the input transformer (something like 12dB). You can quite easily wire the EF86 as triode. Remove R3 and C3 and connect G3 to anode. The EF86 will have less gain thus less distortion in the 6AS6 stage.

You could try something very interesting I found out with my new prototype: Switch to some of the PK modes and feed the 6as6 with the output signal. You will get heavy feedback that can be tuned with the various PK modes. Try to tame the feedback signal with a pot or resistor so that is barely audible but still there. This will give you a kind of "gasping" sound. I love that sound.
regards
Bernd

Put a 12dB balanced upad in front (30k/10k) and I'm happy. With the board wired up, it might be too much work to change the EF86 to triode right now as I have a session on Saturday, though I'd love to hear it (as the 6as6 difference is quite pronounced). A project for the next rainy day, I say :)

For any builders out there... drask board C7 for the LPF seems to work really nice with a 330pF styro. Sounds great, cuts out the annoying fizz, starting gently at about 5k, -6dB at about 12k.

baadc0de said:
For any builders out there... drask board C7 for the LPF seems to work really nice with a 330pF styro. Sounds great, cuts out the annoying fizz, starting gently at about 5k, -6dB at about 12k.
Good ! Thank's for that ;)

Well. My Transformers are in, so I will resume building soon! Good to hear that in my absence there has been someone who could make it work!
I'll be reading this whole thread carefully again before hand, it's been a while and there were new additions my mail hadn't told me of...

More soon!

hey baadc0de,
Please can you tell us how did you connect the Edcors tranx? I am not sure about RT manual build guide:)

Thanks

baadc0de said:
Also:

Now that it is more or less working...

Anders meters, Carnhill iron, MEC switches, Piher pots, Banzai aluminum knobs. I went for a batman black-black-black scheme :p. Just have to dial in the level of distortion I'm getting and figure out the overdrive switch, but other than that it's working and sounding nice big and fat! Samples when I get it under control..

Hi,
for the input transformer: connect transformer primary to TRin/in, connect transformer secondary to TRFin/out.

for the output transformer: connect transformer primary to TROUT/in, connect transformer secondary to TROUT/out

I told Jerome to change the confusing labeling but he didn´t do.

regards
Bernd

Thanks Bernd!
Can you please check  if everything is right below?

Primaire WSM10K/10K (Input transfo)
Transfo Pin 1 => MB 1 (Input transfo / IN)
Transfo Pin 4 => MB 2 (Input transfo / IN)

Secondaire  WSM10K/10K (Input transfo)
Transfo Pin 5 => MB 1 (Input transfo / OUT)
Transfo Pin 6 => MB 2 DON'T CONNECT
Transfo Pin 8 => Mb 3 (Input transfo / OUT)

Primaire XS1100 (Output transfo)
Transfo Pin 2 => MB 1 (Output transfo / IN)
Transfo Pin 1 => MB 2 (Output transfo / IN)

Secondaire XS1100 (Output transfo)
Transfo Pin 7 => MB 1 (Output transfo / OUT)
Transfo Pin 8 => MB 2 (Output transfo / OUT)

Thanks

bernbrue said:
Hi,
for the input transformer: connect transformer primary to TRin/in, connect transformer secondary to TRFin/out.

for the output transformer: connect transformer primary to TROUT/in, connect transformer secondary to TROUT/out

I told Jerome to change the confusing labeling but he didn´t do.

regards
Bernd

Hi,
for the input transformer don´t connect Pin 6 => MB 2 (Input transfo / OUT). For the output transformer I attached a picture.
regards
Bernd

Attachments

• XS1100 bottom view.JPG
    XS1100 bottom view.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 47
Hey Bernd,
I can't understand Jerome's connexion...

"Connect 4 on right middle pin and up pin right (Up pin right sort with middle pin left) Connect 1 on up pin left.
Connect 2 on down pin left
Connect 3 on down pin right"

Can you  make a basic shcema for this switch connexion please?

Thanks

Back