UTM INDUSTRY audio transformers - from Poland - EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered August 14th -arrived safe and sound August 28th to East Coast USA.

Thanks Igor!

Attachments

• 4E6CB0B8-E1B8-43C7-900F-0E8EE5F224FA.jpeg
    4E6CB0B8-E1B8-43C7-900F-0E8EE5F224FA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • BF3AA279-0FA8-4890-B11E-45E46489E83B.jpeg
    BF3AA279-0FA8-4890-B11E-45E46489E83B.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone,

For a LA2A project, I plan to use both UTM (2510-In and 3515-Out), so my question is : could you suggest a better solution to mount them?
As you can see on the pictures, i "secured" the Input Tx with two aluminium plates, but there is still some gap between the transfo, the plates, the case...
For Output Tx, do you think it'd be better to mount it opposite, inside the case, so the cables stay inside?
Would i need to fill the gaps?
I guess the best way would be to make specific adapter plates, but i'm not equiped for that, so if anyone use those Transfos for LA2A, how did you mount them?

Thanks, as always, for your inputs, great help, and have a lovely day

Inside.jpgOutside.jpg

For Output Tx, do you think it'd be better to mount it opposite, inside the case, so the cables stay inside?
You should experiment. The only notable difference would be regarding the magnetic filed from the power transformer? Since you have an aluminium chassis, it does not provide magnetic shielding, but the flux lines are probably different. You should experiment with the orientation also. Regarding electrostatic shielding, the impedances are low enough to make it negligible.
No.
I guess the best way would be to make specific adapter plates, but i'm not equiped for that,
If you made this chassis, there is no reason why you couldn't make adapter plates.

You should experiment. The only notable difference would be regarding the magnetic filed from the power transformer? Since you have an aluminium chassis, it does not provide magnetic shielding, but the flux lines are probably different. You should experiment with the orientation also. Regarding electrostatic shielding, the impedances are low enough to make it negligible.

No.

If you made this chassis, there is no reason why you couldn't make adapter plates.
Thanks!! I will experiment 🤘
Isnt it going to be an issue then that this chassis is made of aluminium?..
I bought it as is, just made a few holes in it..
So i’ll probably use a metal bracket from hardware store because i can’t cut metal, i only can drill holes

Attachments

• 8BEBCDEA-BB47-4C9C-9021-CC27FD7F7825.jpeg
    8BEBCDEA-BB47-4C9C-9021-CC27FD7F7825.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
It may or may not...
An aluminium chassis does not shield from external fields, but OTOH steel can channel flux lines and orient them in a eird manner, which can result in increased noise.
So i’ll probably use a metal bracket from hardware store because i can’t cut metal, i only can drill holes
I bet one day you'll have to have a hacksaw and a vice. :)
Meantime can you ask a friend?

I bought it as is, just made a few holes in it..
I am in the process of building a LA2A with UTM transformers too, and I have an analogue vibe chassis... which means I'll make some adapter plates one of these days (I'll CNC them). Send me a PM and I'll see if I can make a few more. I just don't know when that will be because I have quite a lot of projects on going. But by the end of the year, for sure.

Hi everyone,

For a LA2A project, I plan to use both UTM (2510-In and 3515-Out), so my question is : could you suggest a better solution to mount them?
As you can see on the pictures, i "secured" the Input Tx with two aluminium plates, but there is still some gap between the transfo, the plates, the case...
I guess the best way would be to make specific adapter plates, but i'm not equiped for that, so if anyone use those Transfos for LA2A, how did you mount them?

Thanks, as always, for your inputs, great help, and have a lovely day

View attachment 98026View attachment 98027
If you want to mount the unshielded output transformer on the outside of the chassis (although as stated the aluminum chassis isn't going to provide shielding anyway) I'd buy some steel transformer covers like these...... (see link below) to shield it.

https://www.goodcomponent.com/produ...-case-enclosure-90x80x90mm-gdtc0015-1056.html
They work really well.

Does anyone know if the UTM7070 has ultralinear taps on the primary winding? There doesn't seem to be a "contact" tab on the website and no further info on these transformers is in the latest catalog (2c) pdf.

Thanks! Matt.

Does anyone know if the UTM7070 has ultralinear taps on the primary winding? There doesn't seem to be a "contact" tab on the website and no further info on these transformers is in the latest catalog (2c) pdf.

Thanks! Matt.
No, this transformer is dedicated to Sansui AU70 power amp. This is a special kind of cathode negative feedback. The schematic is attached.

But we can do a similar transformer with the UL taps for any kind of output tube. Just PM me what you need.

Attachments

• Schematic Diagram.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
No, this transformer is dedicated to Sansui AU70 power amp. This is a special kind of cathode negative feedback.
EDIT

It's just a standard Williamson amp with the usual arrangement of NFB taken from the 16 ohm secondary.
Actually, the secondary is a 16ohm+16ohm, and indeed each goes to the cathode of the output tubes, so yes, it's cathode NFB.
One again, I forgot to turn the brains on before typing.

However, it is peculiar because of the weird arrangement for the headphones output.

Last edited:
it looks like the output tubes are biased strangely as well. Thanks!
Fixed bias, at -18V. Nothing curious about it.
It's somewhat uncommon, because the EL84/6BQ5/7189 has been designed to have almost equal performance in cathode bias than in fixed bias, but considering the choice of cathode NFB, it definitely makes sense.

EDIT

It's just a standard Williamson amp with the usual arrangement of NFB taken from the 16 ohm secondary.
Actually, the secondary is a 16ohm+16ohm, and indeed each goes to the cathode of teh output tubes, so yes, it's cathode NFB.
One again, I forgot to turn the barins on before typing.

However, it is peculiar because of the weird arrangement for the headphones output.
Ahh, in any case, not my cup O' tea. I've designed a SE (5842) -> IT -> Pair EBL21 (UL connected), CCS bias PP amp and will be "auditioning" 8K-10K primary OT's over the winter to see what I like... the UTM7070 was one of them that I was hoping to try. I'll just PM him directly. Thanks!

Back