500 series blue face 1176 rev A - Help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my boards today thanks David. Parts are shipping form Mouser as well which don't take long to get to Austin from Mansfield, Tx. I just need to order transformers, fets, and knobs from Mike at hairball. I'm looking forward to this project. I will keep you posted. ;)

exciting! I was wondering if this was gonna see the light? Soon as i knock off a couple projects, this goes on the table, nice job Dave!

FYI Solder all pins and sockets to meter and control amp board first before any transistor sockets. The meter board that connects to the control amp board via pins and sockets is very tricky. Don't attempt to solder sockets to control board the way I did the first time are you will accidentally fill the 4 tiny component sockets with solder if you solder from the top :-[. Proceed this way. First insert long pins part #3104-2-00-15-00-00-08-0 to bottom of meter board short side down and place solder at the base of the pins where it seats flush to the bottom of pcb. Next take the 4 tiny control amp sockets part #855-H3161-01 and secure to 4 pins from meter board making sure they're completely seated. Then take control amp pcb and fit to meter board where meter board and control amp board are facing upside down. Now looking at the bottom side of the control amp pcb you can safely solder those 4 tiny sockets fitted to the meter pins from the back side of the control amp board without worrying about filling the 4 tiny sockets up with solder from the top side like I had and failed. I will have to order a couple new sockets, and I will be back on track. I hope this advice helps new builders.  ;)

Can' t speak for Mike but looking at individual prices from Mike's site it' s:

EA-5002 output transformer: $35
C-3837-1 input transformer: $35
Bourns 600Ω T-Pad Attenuator: $29.15
8035 VU Meter: $27
Knobs: $5 per knob for the currently stocked small knobs. Don' t know how much the new knobs for this project will cost.
Personally I would also buy matched FETs from Hairball: $10

U76A kit: £149 inc shipping
Mouser cart: around £116 (you' ll get free shipping with this amount)

Whith currency exchanges to SEK (I' m in Sweden) it' s a really attractive price for what you get.
A 1176 rev A in 500 format with Dave' s attention to detail is a dream come true for me.
I wish I had more cash at the moment, I want four of these....

Best regards
Magnus

Dr Gris said:
Can' t speak for Mike but looking at individual prices from Mike's site it' s:

EA-5002 output transformer: $35
C-3837-1 input transformer: $35
Bourns 600Ω T-Pad Attenuator: $29.15
8035 VU Meter: $27
Knobs: $5 per knob for the currently stocked small knobs. Don' t know how much the new knobs for this project will cost.
Personally I would also buy matched FETs from Hairball: $10

U76A kit: £149 inc shipping
Mouser cart: around £116 (you' ll get free shipping with this amount)

Whith currency exchanges to SEK (I' m in Sweden) it' s a really attractive price for what you get.
A 1176 rev A in 500 format with Dave' s attention to detail is a dream come true for me.
I wish I had more cash at the moment, I want four of these....

Best regards
Magnus

Right around there.  These knobs are a couple bucks more because I'm not getting them in the qty I get the rack style ones.  That'll be offset a bit by the bundle discount.

I'll have the price up soon.  Should have the knobs in about 2 week and have the bundle up for sale.

Thanks!

Hi Bobby, sorry for not being clearer on the PCB pins/sockets.. I've updated the manual with an extra page (page 9) to clarify it now. 
http://thedonclassics.com/u76adiymanual.html

Very informative manual thanks David. ;) "Tape" I don't know why I didn't think of that. My build is coming along. I have main pcb done except for tranny from hairball. I'll have to order replacement sockets, and the 470k carbon comp resistor from mouser when they get them back in stock. I'll keep you posted.

Hi I'm new to the forum and am relatively new to audio DIY
I ordered my kit and mouser cart but a certain component is out of stock and is listed as end of life.
The component is

512-KSD1273QYDTU
NPN Si Transistor
Fairchild Transistors Bipolar - BJT

Can anyone help me find one or an alternative(not sure what to look for) ive looked all over for the alternative listed In the BOM
But have found the same problem. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!

Nauraushaun said:
I ordered my kit and mouser cart but a certain component is out of stock and is listed as end of life.
The component is

512-KSD1273QYDTU
NPN Si Transistor
Fairchild Transistors Bipolar - BJT

If I can't find alternatives, ebay can often be your friend.  It may cost a little more, but if it is just for a few parts I think it can be worth it to get your project finished.

Here we have a little u76 progress. I just need hairball parts. ;D Also, David it appears the fairchild KSD1273 is out of production could you recommend an alternative for future builders.

Attachments

• P1050650.JPG
    P1050650.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 145
Knobs came in!

Supplementary kit is up for sale now:
http://www.hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=152

Thanks!

Mike

Good work Bobby!  Looking good!

For replacement for the KSD1273, I'll be using the TIP120 from now on.

Thanks Mike, great stuff! Hope all's well! 

Here we have one new Don Classics u76a 500 series module. I just need to calibrate. Thanks again David for all the hard work you did to make this come to fruition. And props to Mike @ hairball. Looks killer and sounds great.

Attachments

• P1050653 (2).jpg
    P1050653 (2).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 137
Hi Mike,

I see that the EA-5002 is out of stock on your site, making the parts kit for this project unavailable. Any idea when it'll be back in stock?

Cheers

Rob

Back