• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8-slot Lunchbox Kit Group Buy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! All parcels that had been paid for shipped. To the waiting list: I still have some spare parts in case of parcel loss etc. Once I'll have all the kits delivered I will contact you in order as per list.

Important update to the build procedure

Care needs to be taken to make sure the pcb is parallel to the back plate. Here's what you need to do:

In step 2) instead of mounting all the brass standoffs in the bottom part of the pcb install two on the bottom and two on the top (preferably in the holes near corners. Then put all the neutricks in, secure the back plate and solder the xlrs. After you do this, reinstall brass standoffs in the correct places and follow the next steps. If another batch happens, I'll include all 8 standoffs to avoid this issue.

Since the kits are showing at your doors already I thought I'd put together a small guide how to assemble them.

1. Sort the screws. You should have regular m3 screws, pointy m3 screws - those are for mounting neutriks, brass standoffs, regular and rectangular m3 nuts and m4 torx screws (not shown in the picture)
m9zb.jpg

2. Populate the PCB. Start with molex headers for ground and link, then proceed to the edge connectors. After those 400+ solder joints mount brass standoffs using the m3 screws and insert th neutriks, but don't solder them just yet.
odcj.jpg

3. Install 4 m3 screws and nuts in the holes as in the picture below. It is a good time to mount the power connector of your choice as well.
tuma.jpg

4. Solder the wires you'll use to connect backplate to the power connector. Sorry, no picture of that step  ;)

5. Gently place the back plate on the pcb to align XLRs. Secure them with pointy screws. Also, mount 4 m3 screws to attach the other side of the brass spacers to the back plate. Once you mount all the screws, flip the whole thing over and solder those neutriks! You're almost done.
tjcu.jpg

4wdx.jpg

prototype pcb has "mount here" signs in the wrong spot. Your PCBs have it fixed

6. Locate the rails that don't have panels with tapped holes in them and insert 2 rectangular m3 nuts into each. Prepare rack ears or side panels depending on which version you're building.
t36h.jpg

7. Mount two rails and side panels on a flat surface as shown. Rails with inserts go to the front, ones with rectangular nuts go to the back. Easy. Don't tighten the screws all the way yet.
uyj8.jpg

8. Flip the thing over and repeat the previous step.
u1pc.jpg

9. Now comes the tricky part. tilt the rack over to the one side so that rectangular nuts are right next to one of the side panels.
e7xa.jpg

10. Put the back panel assembly on top of the rails. Tap the rack gently on the back to align rectangular nuts with mounting holes on the back panel and mount the m3 screws.
oa1p.jpg

11. Repeat for the other side. Tighten the screws for the back rails. Mount some modules or dummy panels and tighten the m4 screws in the front rails. Voila! You have made yourself an awesome looking lunchbox!
8p8x.jpg

As I was informed I forgot to pack the screws used to mount the rails to the side panels to one parcel. It might have happened to some more kits so if you're missing those screws let me know and I'll ship them right away.

Regarding the PSU, any board or kit that uses lm317 will do. Just make sure you use an appropriate heatsink. If you'd rather buy something already assembled this looks solid for regular api500 psu:
http://www.fabmodules.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_70&product_id=67

michal_k said:
Hi Kamel,

I had a tiny setback - new baby born, but I should be done with shipping all the parcels by tomorrow, Wednesday the latest :)

Congratulation!!!

Kit just arrived, I'll assemble tomorrow... Can you add a mouser bom for connectors and components? Thanks ;)

Hello,

You need to order following things
XLRs:
Neutrik NC3MAV: at mouser 568-NC3MAV
Neutrik NC3FAV1: at mouser 568-NC3FAV-1
Power connector of your choice: one of 3,4,or 7 pin neutriks. Example 568-NC7MD-L-1
I am not sure if you want to do your shopping at mouser as it seems quite expensive to me. Try finding a local Neutrik deale, I'm sure he'll give you a better price on those connectors.

Edge connectors:
I got mine from silent:arts. Depending on your location you may want to buy at classicapi.com
Example for straight api500 build:
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=87_88&products_id=147

Other stuff:
hookup wire
2.54mm goldpin connectors. Buy in the modules of 20 pin and cut to size.

@ jonchronic: As for now there are no more kits left. I can add you to the waiting list, if there are 15 kits spoken for I'll organise the second batch.

Hi Michael, I received mine too, everything looks great, but I think that the screws used to mount the rails to the side panels that you forgot, are mine.
I guess that they will be the 4x m4 torx screws (not shown in the pictures). I really don't need that you make a second send with those screws.
Thanks and Best Regards
Alberto

Is there any interest in modifying the design with a radial-style, but improved, 8x2 summing mixer?  I think their design can be improved upon - including detented Pan knobs and stepped switches, monitor out and master out w/ VU) - and would love to be apart of a 2nd generation DIY Rack

Just a thought,
Oren

Important update to the build procedure
Care needs to be taken to make sure the pcb is parallel to the back plate. Here's what you need to do:

In step 2) instead of mounting all the brass standoffs in the bottom part of the pcb install two on the bottom and two on the top (preferably in the holes near corners. Then put all the neutricks in, secure the back plate and solder the xlrs. After you do this, reinstall brass standoffs in the correct places and follow the next steps. If another batch happens, I'll include all 8 standoffs to avoid this issue.

Also, Walrus has noticed that the original API models may not fit between rails because of the screws mounting the metal enclosure of the modules. I wasn't aware of this problem as I don't own any vintage API modules. Waiting for the feedback from the rest of the people on that.

@rascalseven: added you to the list

@lowtone: To offer 11 slot rack I'd have to make a prototype or two and I don't have time to do that at the moment. What part of south france are you from? I'm currently in Nice :)

Latest posts

Back