Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today's entropy reminder is my smart temperature controlled kettle.
I cannot discern the brand names on the two electric kettles illustrating your post, but they look good. My young bride and I have had good luck with Brevel brand elec kettles. Not so much other brands. While I am fussy about what temperature we use to brew coffee and tea, I am OK with a plain, no frills type kettle - we have learned how long to wait for it to reach an appropriate temperature for each beverage.

But then, I am SERIOUS about MY coffee - to the point where I roast my own beans and employ a super reliable and consistent Gaggia espresso machine with a commercial brew group. A case of the right tool for the job. I learned to pull a proper shot from professional Baristas in London, Paris, and cafes in Italy. Thus, I understand the importance of brewing at the right temperature.

Bottoms UP! James

This thread belongs in the brewery John ,

Mic already politely said you struck a bum note ,

Last edited:
No need for the faux bonhomie monsieur,

Its not audio related,
its starting to look like a soap box for your personal whinges and whines ,

No need for the faux bonhomie monsieur,

Its not audio related,
I find that more accurate than most of your comments.
===
Indeed I find the sorry level of so many modern appliances deplorable. I am pleased that as I approach the expiration of my 3 year drum tuner warranty I have yet to have one warranty claim. ;)

JR

Its not audio related,

Must every message be about audio gear? I am NOT trolling for an argument - I understand the the forum concerns any sort of DIY project. Besides, (poking a little fun, as well as being serious) I believe the thread truly IS about his personal encounters fixing broken stuff around the house.

And he is not alone!

MY latest brush with entropic fate came this past weekend as my young bride helped me fix (hence the DIY connection) our 16 year old refrigerator. It required substantial effort to replace an evaporator fan and to locate and eliminate the reason water was dripping into the lower chamber from the freezer section above. Too cheap and stubborn to call a repair service, as that would cut too deeply into my radio and bourbon fund, we lost an entire afternoon, working slowly and carefully, delayed only occasionally by a classic husband-wife debate (i.e. brawl,) to finally find the problem and secure a remedy.

We now enjoy that heady sense of self-satisfaction one gets from completing a successful home brewed DIY project. Whew. And, miraculously, we are still friends!! James

I agree with John and James. While the topic may be about household/consumer/automotive equipment failures, many of the fixes involve electronic troubleshooting knowledge and therefore should be helpful to DIY'ers.
For instance, I fixed my stove this past weekend. It had been randomly having the control panel go dead with one beep of the piezo, and cancelling whatever it had been doing...like halfway through baking a cake it just turned itself off. I'll spare the boring details, but during the 2nd attempt in two days, I discovered that one of the 0.156", square pin Molex headers had two cracked solder joints...on the Line and the Neutral leads. This on a single-sided, phenolic circuit board...and that failure is a time honoured classic that ANYONE who is interested in fixing electronics should know about.

Theres no reason why the brewery cant have electronic related chat too , it does ,more and more ,

I guess I have to concede , I have plenty of gripes with the modern wasteful electronics industry, its marketing men and attendant piss lickers ,

The kind of colorful language I'd like to use to describe it all is most certainly best off down the brewery :giggle:

sláinte mhaith , if you happen to be having one

Last edited:
discovered that one of the 0.156", square pin Molex headers had two cracked solder joints...
Interesting ... we find lots of two-conductor Molex connectors fail on ham radio power ports. The type of plastic seems to dry out and crack - and once cracked, loses reliable contact. It is more the plastic that gives up over time, not the contact point, specifically. Consequently, Molex plugs are deemed suspect per se. Not the same plug, but maybe the same plastic. James

I've hated these connectors since the Mac+ came out in... 1984?

Recently, the GPU manufacturers have produced graphic cards with a supplementary connector for power that just melted of the board.

Some connectors that look like Molex have a bad rep in automotive. They're not as waterproof as they should be and the corrosion of the pins results in the weirdest errors. A friend with a recent Ford Transit paid for replacement of the expensive cat, while in the end, the radiator behind the dashboard was leaking a tiny bit. Unfortunately on a connector. That resulted in another hefty bill, since disassembling the dashboard is a long job. Assembling it afterwards is even worse.

My current daily drive is 17 years old. It has an ECU, but none of the other fancy stuff. No power windows, no AC, no central locking even. Replacing all five locks, including the key lock, is 185€ in parts. The same parts for a car with a central locking system is over 800€, excluding labor.

sláinte mhaith , if you happen to be having one

Thank you, brother, I don't mind if I do!

Parenthetically, I honored your toast and good wishes with a double shot of one of my favorite bourbons, George T Stagg, Kentucky Straight Bourbon, uncut, unfiltered, dumped straight from the barrel to the bottle, and barrel proofed at 141.4 Proof, a serious, manly drink, acquired directly from the distillery in Frankfurt, KY. There's none better.

So, Aahhhh, (sipping some) - (as my Mother used to say on such occasions,) "Up yours!" :)

(No kidding, my Mom was a school teacher and a lot of fun, and she used to say silly stuff like that. One time, she offered this same toast to a table of strangers in a restaurant celebrating the Chinese New Year. My wife and I kept straight faces and followed suit - and we pulled it off. The others joined in and repeated her silly toast as if it was a well established tradition. She did these things with such aplomb and a teacher's confidence, everyone took her seriously. Crazy, eh?)

So, Up Yours! (of course, offered in the most respectful way.)

Happy trails to all. James

My replacement temperature controlled kettle arrived, and I used it brew my first pot today. I was using the 195' setting on my old kettle, this new one has either 190' or 200'. Today I used 200' and it didn't suck, tomorrow I will try 190' and see how that does.

It has a stainless steel water chamber but uses the cheesy plastic water level feature. These generally are pretty hard to read, but this one uses a colored LED edge light that better shows the water level making it actually usable. 👍 I had an old unregulated kettle with a similar plastic level gauge and I pre-measured the water to use with it, because it was unreadable.

===

My all metal sink side sprayer isn't installed yet because its hose fittings don't match the cheap plastic side sprayer it replaces. It comes with a fitting to plumb in-line with the under sink water feed, but that is not good practice for under sink plumbing to keep a side sprayer constantly pressurized.

I ambushed my local plumber over at the post office across the street and he promised to pick me up an adapter fitting next week when he goes into the big city (Meridian) to buy parts/supplies for himself. He is a good neighbor and takes care of me. :)

JR

PS: don't tell Tubetec but my pants belt broke this morning. It was only 20-30 years old... 🤔

I am getting familiar with my new temperature controlled kettle.

My first brew at 200' was OK, today I did my second pot using 190', but there was another variable confusing the experiment. Yesterday's coffee beans were a different origin (Bolivia) from today's beans (Guatemala). I currently have 4 different origins in rotation. To control for the coffee origin I brewed a second batch today using the same Guatemala beans but at 200'. My informal judgement is that the 200' brew temperature is better. 👍

I won't drink both pots of coffee today because that could compromise my sleep quality. It will keep the second batch overnight in my two thermos bottles, and enjoy it tomorrow.
======
I started taking the old kettle apart, not trivial. It uses the special 3 tanged security screws in the base but I already had a set of those obscure drivers for a different project I worked on years ago... I had to unsnap some plastic parts to get access to 4 more handle screws. I still haven't managed to get the top ring off (where the drip/leak is). I did a web search for replacement gaskets and there are no options found.

I feel (a little) better about the new kettle. The stainless steel water tank shouldn't leak where the glass kettle does.

JR

Im a little suspicious of all singing all dancing new fangled gadgets with microprocessor control over simple old style switch,thermostat , timer,relay
I do remember John telling us about his new kettle maybe a year or 18 months ago .

My mom gifted me an expresso coffee machine , must be at least 5 years ago now ,
just before the warranty period was up a small water pipe connection inside the machine broke ,
as I had the receipt I was able to arrange for Lidl's local service partener to pick up the machine via courier, fix it and return it free of charge ,
Aside from needing a dismantle and cleaning the odd time this thing has really been very reliable , yeah its a little noisey compared to a quality branded unit ,but it was about 1/4 the price .
Your typical coffee shop charges around 3 euros per cup nowadays ,
the 1500 or so cups of coffee Ive made with my machine amounts to a saving of more that 4000 euros in the last 5 years over store bought , and the machine itself cost 70 euros .

Usually I grind up my coffee every few days , I get a 1.2kg bag of beans from Lidl for around 10 euros ,its lasts around a month . The result I get is equal to or better than any coffee shop .
Lately Ive tried a few packets of pre ground stuff of various origins , the stand out variety for me has been the Lidl Colombian Risaralda ,it has a fruity and aromatic bouquet ,the trouble is I no longer want to go back to my usual cheap and cheerfull stuff as it now tastes noticeably inferior .

Im a little suspicious of all singing all dancing new fangled gadgets with microprocessor control over simple old style switch,thermostat , timer,relay
I do remember John telling us about his new kettle maybe a year or 18 months ago .
2+ years ago... not a very respectable service life... it still works but just dribbles water, so the problem is in the physical design/construction.
My mom gifted me an expresso coffee machine , must be at least 5 years ago now ,
just before the warranty period was up a small water pipe connection inside the machine broke ,
as I had the receipt I was able to arrange for Lidl's local service partener to pick up the machine via courier, fix it and return it free of charge ,
nice
Aside from needing a dismantle and cleaning the odd time this thing has really been very reliable , yeah its a little noisey compared to a quality branded unit ,but it was about 1/4 the price .
if it was a gift, wasn't it free? 🤔
Your typical coffee shop charges around 3 euros per cup nowadays ,
the 1500 or so cups of coffee Ive made with my machine amounts to a saving of more that 4000 euros in the last 5 years over store bought , and the machine itself cost 70 euros .
frugal.... I drink that many cups of coffee a year.
Usually I grind up my coffee every few days ,
Coffee degrades with age.... I roast my coffee from green beans every 5 days, I grind the roasted coffee minutes before brewing every day.
I get a 1.2kg bag of beans from Lidl for around 10 euros ,its lasts around a month .
I can taste a difference between one day old and 5 day old roasted coffee (todays brews were both one day old). The coffee peaks in flavor about 12-24 hours after roasting (the coffee beans keep cooking some after being dumped from the roaster. A lot of DIY coffee roasters got started roasting green coffee beans in hot air popcorn poppers.
The result I get is equal to or better than any coffee shop .
A coffee shop that roasts its own coffee can make arbitrarily fresh coffee.
Lately Ive tried a few packets of pre ground stuff of various origins , the stand out variety for me has been the Lidl Colombian Risaralda ,it has a fruity and aromatic bouquet ,the trouble is I no longer want to go back to my usual cheap and cheerfull stuff as it now tastes noticeably inferior .
I have green beans from 4 different countries (all arabicas), in containers on my kitchen counter; Bolivia, Guatemala, Columbia***, Brazil. The green beans don't age from just sitting on the counter at room temperature, but the clock starts running as soon as you roast them. The clock spins much faster after you grind them. Burr grinders provide a more uniform grind, and don't heat the coffee grounds unnecessarily, like blade grinders can.

There are even more variables (like water temperature, etc), but from your description I suspect your easiest and most dramatic improvement to freshness is available from grinding your roast coffee beans just before you brew. Next would be from buying smaller batches of roasted beans, more frequently, so they are fresher.

JR

*** I don't pay close attention to the farm/plantations but since you mention columbia my green columbian beans are "Columbia Tolima Abanico" https://www.sweetmarias.com/colombia-tolima-abanico-7563.html

. It will keep the second batch overnight in my two thermos bottles, and enjoy it tomorrow.
======
I started taking the old kettle apart, not trivial.

Oh ... How gouache. There IS NO day-old coffee at MY house! :)

Good plan reviving the old pot. That is the DIY spirit! It is good to breath new life into old gear and extend its life. I hope some doctor does that for ME sometime when I need it most!

You will really like the stainless steel pot. As you are clearly serious about coffee and maintaning your gear, I offer the following

Serving Suggestion: Use a light duty de-scaling product like Wink or similar espresso machine descaling product to remove minerals that are distilled from the boiling water that build up over time. Wink descaler is good and available in grocery type stores, and there are several similar products favored by espresso junkies. I NEVER use vinegar because it degrades rubber and similar gaskets, sealers, and plastic parts.​

But ... SHEESH! Did I mention ... no day-old java, OK?

I, too, like Guatemalan beans. Roasting my own, my espresso blend has beans from Sumatra, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Columbia and Brazil (in secret, proprietary proportions) producing a remarkably dense, complex flavored double shot, with modest acidity capped with a quarter-inch of crema.

Therefore, I appreciate your exchange with Mr. @Tubetec over really FRESH BEANS, You guys are both ... ahem ... "on the bean!" (Sorry, I can rarely resust a really bad pun.)

And yet, one MUST WAIT AT LEAST 50-60 HOURS after roasting before brewing a single drop for consumption. Roasted beans are NOT ready for brewing until they finish the conversion process, which takes a good couple of days. Consider how freshly roasted beans smell more like baked wheat bread than coffee as they emerge from the roaster. Beans for espresso are consumed within 14 days at my house - After that, I grind them daily for drip or other style brewing. They are too old for any style after 30 days. Yet, I always wait 60 hours before using freshly roasted beans. A local commercial roaster once confessed he learned that lesson the hard way early on! Ahem ... just saying.

Sidebar - Roasted beans release a LOT of gass over time. My wife likes to open the Mason style jars with disc-and-sealing-ring lids because they POP open from the gas pressure as she turns the sealing rings. [Aside from copious quantites gold, diamonds, and other "bling" ... it does not take much to please her!] :)

Of course, all this is just MY take ... your mileage may differ! James

My mom gifted me an espresso coffee machine , must be at least 5 years ago now ,

SWEET. That is a swell gift. She must truly love you ... or wants you to stay home brewing your own coffee ... :)

Yes, good machines ARE noisy - they typically have noisy vibration pumps - a necessary bane to pull a proper shot.

You are also fortunate to find a commercially ground espresso that works well with your machine. I rarely buy pre-ground espresso beans, because they are usually not ground too course. Too finely ground, like Turkish style, cloggs the portafilter basket. Too coarsely ground and the water runs through without proper extraction. So, I adjust the grind for each type or blend of beans. You are fortunate to find a commercially ground grind that works well with your machine.

I agree, the financial advantages of owning your own machine are obvious and substantial. Home brewing is very convenient. Enjoying a double shot at home in my jammies is priceless.

Happy trails, old man. / James

PS - do you guys ever add a bit of bourbon to your coffee? ... Ah ... yes ... that's good. / JHR

Oh ... How gouache. There IS NO day-old coffee at MY house! :)
I'm drinking some next day coffee right now, still warm after sitting overnight in my thermos. In fact my first cup most days is from my overnight thermos, easier than waiting for that first pot to brew.

[edit= cold coffee can be warmed up in a microwave without degrading the coffee flavor. In fact do not use the warming heater built into most coffee makers, it routinely burns the coffee ruining it. /edit]
Good plan reviving the old pot. That is the DIY spirit! It is good to breath new life into old gear and extend its life. I hope some doctor does that for ME sometime when I need it most!
I am mostly curious to figure out what they did wrong in the kettle design. I didn't find any repair parts on the WWW, may not be available.
You will really like the stainless steel pot. As you are clearly serious about coffee and maintaning your gear, I offer the following

Serving Suggestion: Use a light duty de-scaling product like Wink or similar espresso machine descaling product to remove minerals that are distilled from the boiling water that build up over time. Wink descaler is good and available in grocery type stores, and there are several similar products favored by espresso junkies. I NEVER use vinegar because it degrades rubber and similar gaskets, sealers, and plastic parts.​
I don't get a lot of scale build up, but I use RO filtered water. Some purists argue that RO water is too pure and add trace chemicals. I have experimented with that and it makes a subtle difference.
But ... SHEESH! Did I mention ... no day-old java, OK?
twice
I, too, like Guatemalan beans. Roasting my own, my espresso blend has beans from Sumatra, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Columbia and Brazil (in secret, proprietary proportions) producing a remarkably dense, complex flavored double shot, with modest acidity capped with a quarter-inch of crema.
Sweet Marias, my go to green coffee bean source sells an espresso blend.... I don't make espresso.
Therefore, I appreciate your exchange with Mr. @Tubetec over really FRESH BEANS, You guys are both ... ahem ... "on the bean!" (Sorry, I can rarely resust a really bad pun.)

And yet, one MUST WAIT AT LEAST 50-60 HOURS after roasting before brewing a single drop for consumption. Roasted beans are NOT ready for brewing until they finish the conversion process, which takes a good couple of days. Consider how freshly roasted beans smell more like baked wheat bread than coffee as they emerge from the roaster. Beans for espresso are consumed within 14 days at my house - After that, I grind them daily for drip or other style brewing. They are too old for any style after 30 days. Yet, I always wait 60 hours before using freshly roasted beans. A local commercial roaster once confessed he learned that lesson the hard way early on! Ahem ... just saying.
I never wait more than 24 hours... The popular wisdom is pretty much opposite of your advice.

Commercial roast coffee purchased through distribution is almost guaranteed to be several days old.
Sidebar - Roasted beans release a LOT of gass over time.​
Yes, roasted coffee outgases CO2 (don't tell the climate change crowd).;) I recall reading about a worker's death when he was overcome in a closed, unventilated space full of freshly roast coffee (probably a lot of it).
My wife likes to open the Mason style jars with disc-and-sealing-ring lids because they POP open from the gas pressure as she turns the sealing rings. [Aside from copious quantites gold, diamonds, and other "bling" ... it does not take much to please her!] :)
happy wife happy life
Of course, all this is just MY take ... your mileage may differ! James
all data is good...

JR

Last edited:
Back