favorite "political" quotes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The democrats had a super majority under exPresident Obama and punted on immigration reform.
Wikipedia said:
In the November 2008 elections, the Democratic Party increased its majorities in both chambers (including - when factoring in the two Democratic caucusing independents - a brief filibuster-proof 60-40 supermajority in the Senate), and with Barack Obama being sworn in as President on January 20, 2009, this gave a Democrats an overall federal government trifecta for the first time since the 103rd Congress in 1993.
However, the Senate supermajority only lasted for a period of 72 working days while the Senate was actually in session.

congress.gov said:
111th Congress (2009-2010)
Bills introduced: 4,101
Bills per member: 41.0
3rd quintile for days to bills passage: 213-376 (median 349) days

Maybe you should, because more and more and more of the right are embracing it since it’s repeated nightly, by the likes of Tucker Carlson.
I don't watch Tucker... Do you?
HUH? Read it again. BOTH parties are not interested! Neither side is trying to come up with any real, reasonable solutions to the enormous real problem there. Why? Neither are interested even though they say they are. Stop buying the political talking-points.
Huh did you even read what I wrote?

"Both parties have refused to reform immigration law for different reasons. One side appears to be trying to harvest future voters with free sh__, the other party is motivated to provide business with cheap labor."

You quoted me, so I presume you saw it. :rolleyes:

JR

The Irish fled or were sent to the colonies for generations under British rule ,mainly to England but America and Austrailia as well , then we set up shop ourselves 100 years ago but very similar attrocities overseen by church and state drove generations away again . Now the shoe is on the other foot and we have people lining up to get in here.
Theres a lot of anger in more working class areas ,not so much directed at the people themselves but more towards a government that let generations of our own down yet seem to give 'free everything' and a clean slate to new people coming in .Long before people of a different skin colour allighted on our shores we had our own second class citizens , same name same colour same race same creed as the rest of us just less well off less well educated and more brutalised by the state . Were in the midst of the worst housing crisis ever and the Government have brought in 50,000 Ukrainians , around 85% females and children ,15% generally older males .
I had a random convo with a lady at a bar this afternoon , easy to spot she was from a tougher neighbourhood she said now the working class were getting treated like 3rd class citizens , so its getting better at the top the rich are getting richer poor are getting poorer and bumped down the housing list . Just to raise a couple of kids now both husband and wife need to work to pay astronomical rents and childcare they cant save so there no chance of getting on the property ladder .
We may have got a lot richer as a nation in recent times , and they say a rising tide lifts all boats but it most certainly doesnt . The cauldron of discontent is well and truly on the boil here again , if an election arrived in the morning Sinn Fein and a handfull of independant candidates could take power , the longer the current ad-hoc administration goes on the the more people they drive into the arms of Irish republicanism . Its always been one of the two other main political parties at the helm for the last 100 years , when one was in the other was out , the rights to the quarries for building materials( the biggest contracts in the state ) changing hands when the government changed . Were plouging away full steam ahead into uncharted waters now though , no one has a clue what will happen to big business and its politician friends cozy cartel once the Sinn Fein gets in .
1661293816000.png

Last edited:
Damned immigrants, why didn't they just stay where they were and fix their own countries?
As I have stated multiple times, I am not anti-immigration so long as it is 1) done legally, and 2) moderated such that integration of new immigrants to the country can occur. My wife was an immigrant almost a decade ago and is now an integrated American who is a productive member of society. Try reading what I've written instead of applying your broad-brush opinions to me. Open borders, mass "asylum seeking," and waves of illegal immigration are not good for the target country.

Lets face facts AP , Americas vast appetite for cocaine and so called nation building has brought to many central and south American countries death destruction and poverty. Illeagal wars were waged using so called humanitarian coridoors to get arms in and dope/ money out on the quiet . When corrupt puppet governments are installed and they suck the life and resources out a country people end up fleeing for their lives .
You reap what you sow and America has been sowing the seeds of discontent for a very long time , why is it so difficult for many Americans to understand this . Its fairly obvious big business stateside takes every advantage it can of the cheap labour ,in fact it needs it to be competitive . Stop voting in gobshites who speak out of two sides of their mouth , on one hand stiring up anti immigration sentiment but quietly making a killing off the cheap labour at the same time .
Theres one inescapable fact , as the white European dna gradually vanishes from the gene pool more and more immigration will be required to fill the void , it may take some time but the meek will inherit everything in the long game .

First, as I stated before, I am not a supporter of CIA shenanigans related to assassination of elected officials, fomenting color revolutions, etc. Second, I am not and never have been a drug user. I can only control my own decisions. When possible I discourage drug use by others. Hunter Biden on the other hand clearly sets a different example. There are others across the political spectrum who participate as well.

As for the cheap labor argument, tell it to all the "liberals" in Silicon Valley and surrounding communities who actively seek out and hire illegal immigrants for landscape maintenance, construction, raw labor, etc. Every Home Depot or Lowe's parking lot has a group of illegal day laborers milling around in the morning looking to be picked up by an individual home owner, contractor, tree service company, or other business to provide undocumented off-the-books cheap physical work. I've seen it with my own eyes, had work colleagues tell me that they had done it, and had contractors I've hired bring them onto the jobsite. That area of CA votes 70-80% Democrat and has for 20 years. Look in the mirror. The problem is not confined to the political party you hate with a burning passion.

You’re absolutely right. Both sides always have and always will go after cheap labor, so please get off and past the parties’ political rhetoric and rallies for votes and money, as it’s nothing more than that. Actually doing something reasonable to truly try and help the situation? What a joke! Someone please get my attention when someone in politics actually is! I will get behind them, regardless of party!

Last edited:
I really dont understand why you took this so personally , no one person is responsible for what a country does ,of course by degrees, action or inaction of the individual contributes , I was just stating the facts as I perceive them .
Please dont conflate my views on Irish republican politics with American , they are two entirely different issues , again Im just giving my point of view on the Irish situation because that my main frame of reference . As far as the 'gobshite' comment I was aiming it directly at a person and not the political party he happened to run for , no prizes for guessing who I was refering too.
It seems to me politics in the USA is so devicive now old allegences down party political lines are more entrenched than ever , the reality is this fault line isnt neatly drawn ,it causes fractures and fissures between not only family and friends but one town and its neighbours or even entire states because one happens to be red and the other blue . Both sides feel they cant back down and the closer the spilt is to 50/50 the more unstable the situation becomes ,the other point Ive mentioned before is a close fought contest makes the chances of election tampering more likely on either side .
'Vote the man, not the party' was a saying I first heard from my grandad and its something I always bear in mind when voting time comes around .

I just saw this Bob Marley quote:

“Me don’t dip on the black man’s side nor the white man’s side. Me dip on God’s side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white, who give me this talent.”

This best part is it’s not even a political quote and still applies. This is how I feel about politics.

Always a great piece of advice, yet somehow seems rarely practiced on this side pond.
Disagree.

Modern politics has become a cult of personality and that's illustrated by how, when people are asked to choose what *policies* they support, they frequently choose policies that are neither the choice of their favoured politician or their favoured party.

Though it will obviously never happen, my opinion is that voters should vote for policies rather than parties or politicians, because it seems to me that when the popularity contest nonsense is stripped away, quite a different political landscape is revealed.

Vote for the man* who most closely represents your core values/principles in the position to be filled. Ignore the facade. If you can discern nothing but facade, never vote for the candidate.

The reason I think man* instead of policies is because so many flip-flop once elected. You have to see behind the curtain and judge the man's* willingness to do what he says.

*human

Latest posts

Back