Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="3nity"]Hey guys that was Fun but also very challenging for me!
sometimes at jokes i was lost :roll: [/quote]

Hey my blown power supply wasn't that funny! :oops:

The language thing can get in the way of humour but there is also the personal thing. Everyone has their own style of humour. Sometimes its just getting to know the people. Hey at least everyone had a sense of humour (just maybe not the same one so don't worry).

[quote author="3nity"]But that was fun!
looking forward to next meeting![/quote]

Me too 3nity. Glad you could make it.

[quote author="3nity"]Hey guys that was Fun but also very challenging for me!
sometimes at jokes i was lost :roll:
[/quote]

the one : "Why there is no banjo in Star Trek" was very good !!!

893biglaugh-thumb.gif

eD)))

[quote author="Bluzzi"]

Vertiges, hope you liked the Pizza! :
Jim[/quote]

Yes, I did... (I like indian food too...)

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
Also next time if we do it again at my place (welcome to do it again) we can do a mike preamp clone vs original shootout. We can try and bring as much of the real ones and compare with the clones.
Jim[/quote]

I can bring a real API 3124+ and my DUAL 312 clones.

Thank you very much Jim,

eD

Here's some TapeOp for Jim, plus some approximate costs for c12 mic pimping:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=346787&sid=de675eb362eccaad6d06f645ebd63b49

Seven hundred forty is, to me, a lot. I'd pretty much have to be 100% sure that it would work out.

[quote author="bodega"]Here's some TapeOp for Jim, plus some approximate costs for c12 mic pimping:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=346787&sid=de675eb362eccaad6d06f645ebd63b49

Seven hundred forty is, to me, a lot. I'd pretty much have to be 100% sure that it would work out.[/quote]

Thanks bodega. I read almost everything but the guy bought a lot of things that may be overkill or cheaper for us to get if we do research. Second he got the work done by someone else which also raises cost.

I'm still not sure if its a wise thing but its certainly a DIY thing to do. I found a price of $180 U.S. for the 460. I'm sure if we buy 6 or more we may be able to get it down to $160 or $170 but not much more.

I'm also still gathering the final parts for my 1084EQ Kit that I want to make available. So for me its not so much the savings as what will we get in the end? I've only heard and used the C12R. Most people put down that mike but I loved it, but for $5K I can live without it.

What I'm saying is that for me it needs to be a very useful mike not something that sounds great on ocarinas. :?

Has anyone in montreal made one? Speak up we need you!

I can probably get hold of the Peluso to try it. Lets keep the dialog open on the mike mod.

Any other ideas on another group project? Tube mike preamp anyone?

jim

hey hey...nice meeting all you folks the other day. thanks to jim for hosting, vertiges for the drive and the others for making it a fun tim.

i have a quite a few projects on the go that I actually need to get finished before I could start on a mic....sorry to be a party pooper.

also...do any of you folks have a source for decent torroid power transformers? i have bought a few amvecos from digikey but they are a little priceier than i'd like (what isn't! :twisted:)

I think most of us right now have many unfinished projects so don't worry I'm sure its something that we all feel with varying degrees.

Small toroids should not be too expensive. I think the trick I've found in saving $ is to try and get as much from 1 source here in Canada.

I suggest we keep doing research on the mike mod and aim for a mike preamp shootout at the next meeting.

jim

I've posted some other links regarding the "460-whatever name he has" in this thread :

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27817

OK, I'm decided, I'm gonna build one with CEK12, Auricap, cathode follower removed, a lower voltage PSU, and CM-2480. It's a quite simple mod, I'm just a bit affraid about swapping the capsules. :roll:
For any other modifications : playing with the values of the components, etc, I want to know the circuit perfectly before. I don't wanna do anything "blindly".
I'll keep you posted ! :wink:

I've had the occasion to test the 460 stock against a Neumann TL103 and a MXL V69 ("modded" with a GE 6072A). The 460 was "cold" comparing to the 103 but not brighter (and the 103 isn't the "warmer" mic) and totally different comparing to the MXL which I find sometimes a little "blurry" but in a good way. I have to say that for the price, I've been impressed :shock: : it's a pretty decent mic, but it has a kinda cheap-cheasy-metallic brightness I didn't like at all ; terrible on the voices ! (I tried with a Millennia HV3 and a Focusrite 430 MKI, maybe with a very dark preamp it would have been a little different.)

I've been thinking about a cool project... maybe we could try to make a "new one", something which hasn't been done yet here. We could start from scratch, pick a device (which is not in production anymore) decrypt the circuit, make the PCBs, etc... I dunno, just a thought... I could take 10 years, I know... :green:

eD)))

eD, for sure any idea is good. Keep them coming. It doesn't have to include all 6 of us and/or any others that haven't joined in yet.

I'll be watching your 460 mod with great interest. You can be the "cobaye" :grin:

Building someting from scratch is more interesting to me. 3nity has experience with designing and producing pcbs so he can step here and give us some thoughts.

I'd still love to try a tube mike preamp. Solid state would be cheaper for sure as long as its transformerless. So maybe a DOA type? There's the THAT line frivers that look like they can replace XFRs.

3nity? What do you think?

jim

[quote author="3nity"]Jim what about a transistor microphone driving a transformer??[/quote]
yeah maybe something like a neumann u47FET...i had thought about starting to work on something like that a while ago, never really materialized.

[quote author="3nity"]Guys Newark Canada has very cheap Toroidal transformers!!!
look at it![/quote]

Do they ship from canada ?

If the answer is "yes" how ? Post Canada, Purolator ? Other...

I can't find the info on their website...

Thank you,

eD

[quote author="vertiges"][quote author="3nity"]Guys Newark Canada has very cheap Toroidal transformers!!!
look at it![/quote]

Do they ship from canada ?

If the answer is "yes" how ? Post Canada, Purolator ? Other...

I can't find the info on their website...

Thank you,

eD[/quote]

yeah i have been considering trying newark for some stuff as well. anyone have experiences with their shipping/fees?

I did a Farnell order recently that came Fedex Express. They are somehow related to Newark but the order came from the UK. This didn't matter since it was about 200GBP but for a small order I'd think twice. I'm curious about Newark too

Andy

if i remember well the first time i order it came trough Fedex but yeah it came from Canada! i didnt pay fees like when Mouser!

It was great with newark and great customer services.

Toroidals are cheaper at Tim Hortons but way worse for the waistline.....

seriously, tranny's will be heavy and freight to match. The items to really watch for are overdimensioned things epecially weird shapes. For example a Fender Squire Strat pack contains a small box (with the mini amp) attached to a slim long box (the guitar). Freight is calculated based on the longest lengthxlongest widthxlongest depth....ie the same freight as 5 guitars without the little amps taped together)....a good example was the elma's for 33609, came in a standard usps box that was big enough for 18 more switches and $27....live and learn and pay and pay

Andy

lol.....
anyways i just bought 4 toroidals from a guy in GA and only payed 10$ shipping! and each toroidal was 10$!! :green:

now thats a deal!

Latest posts

Back