Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="3nity"]Hey Ed.

I did see that you ask a lot of questions about mics.

Are you doing any work on any tube mics?

I want to mod a Nady or Apex but still not decided.

Let me know anything.

Cheers.[/quote]

Yes, I bought a Stellar CM1 on Evilbay, which is a copy of the 460.
I'm gonna change the capsule for a CEK12, the output transformer for a Cinemag and almost all the components.

eD

Call Patrick at 514-937-2521. He'll take care of you. Tell him Jim says Hi. If you pay cash you'll save $$ (around half price).

Jim

Thanks for the well wishes. For now DIY is on hold. I'm trying to get back to music and also improve the acoustics in my control room.

Hope you are all doing fine and enjoying our Montreal summer. Maybe we can all get together again in the fall.

Jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]Thanks for the well wishes. For now DIY is on hold. I'm trying to get back to music and also improve the acoustics in my control room.
[/quote]

Hi Jim,

We talked about acoustic during our last meeting.
Here are some pics of the building of my control rool :
(sorry for the poor quality of the pics... :oops: )

constr1.jpg

constr2.jpg

constr3.jpg

constr4.jpg

constr5.jpg

constr6.jpg

constr7.jpg

Nice to see this thread resurecting from the deads...guys!!

Everybody seems to be bussy! actually i cant get my preamps done cuz of my time!

Nice!

:thumb:

yes, indeed...

And when I'm "lucky" to have some free time, I'm so tired... I try to relax... :roll:

This contact for the panel engraving will help to save more time ! :thumb:

BTW Jorge, I've seen you bough some S800 EQ as well. Do you intend to by some kits from Colin ? Is yes, maybe we could group our orders and save money ! :wink:

eD

yes i oder 4 boards and possibly i'll order kits as well.
it saves time all the way!

you know i spent at least 3 hours for every Digikey order.

Hey i need Carnhill iron too if anybody needs we can do a Montreal group buy!

Ed where are you building your studio?

I was about to have a room for my studio but i saw it yesterday and it needs a lot of work! so i'll let it pass.

[quote author="3nity"]yes i oder 4 boards and possibly i'll order kits as well.
it saves time all the way!

you know i spent at least 3 hours for every Digikey order.
[/quote]

:shock: Only 3 hours ??? Oh man... I can spent a whole day, and EVERY times I make mistakes !!! :roll:

[quote author="3nity"]
Hey i need Carnhill iron too if anybody needs we can do a Montreal group buy![/quote]

I will need carhhill iron too, but not this year I'm affraid... :wink:

[quote author="3nity"]
Ed where are you building your studio?
[/quote]

In my appartement, in one of the bed room.

I make a lot of recordings in the other bedroom : guitar, double bass, percs, brasses, voices... (I've got huge acoustic panels I can move and place around the musician.)
When it's "too big" : string ensemble or drums for example, I have to rent a Studio.

I'm very lucky because the isolation between the floors are great.

The living room is a rehearsal room and a "diy laboratory" and... can even be used for eating. :green:

My girlfriend and I, because of that, decided to live in two separate appartements... :wink:

eD

My girlfriend and I, because of that, decided to live in two separate appartements... Wink

Alright i supposed everyone sleep in separate beds :green:

You did that in your apartment and the landlord knows that?

geez! thats a nice Landlord!

Jorge.

This pic has been taken 3 years ago :

P1160120.jpg

These ones 2 years ago (wiht the quadratics diffusors "updates"):

Picture-101.jpg

A part of the ceiling... (which is very heavy and hasn't fall yet... :green: )

Picture-159.jpg

Actually I've got bass trapping pretty everywhere, (believe me or not, it's not enough) quadratic diffusors and helmotz resonnators. I can say it's the "version 3" of my control room. For "the version 1" I used old matresses and curtains...

I'm pretty flat at +/- 2.5 dB from 120 Hz to 20kHz.
Under 120 Hz : I've got a hole between 50 and 100, but I've just to go 1 meter back for filling it... and if I want to hear below 50 I go the the living room... or ask to my neighbours :grin:

The acoustic treatment of a small room can give you headaches !!

eD

[quote author="3nity"]
My girlfriend and I, because of that, decided to live in two separate appartements... Wink

Alright i supposed everyone sleep in separate beds :green:
Jorge.[/quote]

:grin: Actually, I'm often at her place because, when she moved, she took the television and the expresso coffee machine... :green:

[quote author="3nity"]
You did that in your apartment and the landlord knows that?

geez! thats a nice Landlord!
[/quote]

I bought the appartment 8 years ago... So no problem with the Landlord... :wink:

eD

Hi all,

Just a thought... :razz:

Tyler and I shared the shipping fees for the Poor Man in/out TX.
And I will maybe share the shipping fees with Jorge for the components kits offered for the S800 EQ project.

It could be a good idea to post our intentions of purchases here ? Don't you think ?

I'm not talking about Mouser (maybe too complicated for splitting the order after) but more about things like : Audio transformers, SIFAM meters, Potentiometers... What do you think ?

Sometimes, I order stuff from Europe and the shipping is more expensive than what I bought... :? I'm sure you know what I mean...

What do you think ?

eD

I'm single and I think I need separate appartments :shock: :grin:

DIY is quite a scary addiction! Just got a Bludotone chassis to do another D-style amp...and I found some more mods for the existing builds...

...and my 1176 isn't done yet, same with all the others in various stages of DIy (y being lowercase)

vertiges, your bass traps look great! :sam: I want to get "fuzzmeasure" and check my place. AFAIK, the guy who wrote the program is in Kingston or Peterborough...somewhere really close. The funny thing is that it was recommended to me by someone who splits his time between Singapore and Dehli.

so let's keep it going and meet again after the summer, all the best

Andy

[quote author="sysexguy"]I'm single and I think I need separate appartments :shock: :grin:
[/quote]

:grin:

[quote author="sysexguy"]
DIY is quite a scary addiction! Just got a Bludotone chassis to do another D-style amp...and I found some more mods for the existing builds...
[/quote]

It's called the GMS ! (Gear Modification Syndrome) :twisted:

[quote author="sysexguy"]
vertiges, your bass traps look great! :sam: I want to get "fuzzmeasure" and check my place.
[/quote]

Thank you. It was a long and painful job. I've been obliged to saw every single piece of wood with a hand saw because I worked in the living room ! I haven't any garage or garden and I got too much dust with the electric tools... :wink:

BTW, I used this software. But you need to be on PC.

eD

Hey guys any of you has spares transistors for the 1176 Rev D??
I found them on Mouser only i try to avoid it!

IF interested: i'm ordering to Audio Maintenance very soon.

One more question i need aluminium knobs for cheap if anyone knows where please let me know!

Latest posts

Back