New body alert

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wanted a JP mic, but could not justify the cost...so excitedo_O
Nothing special about the original at least this model, generic k67 capsule, not tuned to any special spec, sounds and measures like one. EF12, generic Apex transformer, stock PSU.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817_134843.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_134843.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230817_134750.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_134750.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230817_134714.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_134714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230817_134657.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_134657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As the title of it says, it's a clone of (or at least inspired by) JZ Microphones' "golden drop technology" capsules.

I'm really skeptical about how much weight actually gets saved by the discontinuous gold sputtering (thereby allegedly "improving transient response" and other marketing malarkey) though...

In the U47 they payed very close attention to isolating the tube from vibration ,
there doesnt appear to any such precautions taken in the Peluso ,
PCB also looks like 80's vintage Japan/Taiwan

A casual search of Peluso body threw up a few money shots of a celeb ,
Booty alert :)

Yeah I understand that , what I was saying is the copy has minor differences from the original .

3100 euros , ouch 😃

I wonder what the actual cost of putting one of these together would be ,
a couple of hundred euros worth of components and you should be able to make equal or better yourself .
putting together the mic body and components could be done in an afternoon

I am really skeptical about the loss of capacity because not the whole diaphragm is covered with gold!
Increasing the (stationary) capacity isn’t necessarily a good thing: the diaphragm doesn’t move that much near the edge. According to the AIP Handbook, the optimal backplate diameter of an edge-terminated omni capsule is calculated to be 81.6 % of the membrane diameter. For a center-terminated design, the reversed argument might also apply? This interesting thesis (p. 109) has a section on this as well, with some measurements.

Increasing the (stationary) capacity isn’t necessarily a good thing:
It is not the stationary capacity that is the point here, but the fact that there are a lot of gaps between the 'drops'.
Lower capacity means also a lower change in capacity (due to the audio vibrations of the membrane) and thus lower output.

It is not the stationary capacity that is the point here, but the fact that there are a lot of gaps between the 'drops'.
Lower capacity means also a lower change in capacity (due to the audio vibrations of the membrane) and thus lower output.
I have no idea what the gaps between the drops are supposed to do, other than make them look interesting.
Both references don’t disagree with higher sensitivity at a larger ratio, but the noise is said to increase.

Last edited:
As the title of it says, it's a clone of (or at least inspired by) JZ Microphones' "golden drop technology" capsules.

I'm really skeptical about how much weight actually gets saved by the discontinuous gold sputtering (thereby allegedly "improving transient response" and other marketing malarkey) though...

I am really skeptical about the loss of capacity because not the whole diaphragm is covered with gold!

I have a pair of the JZ vintage 67, and the golden drop capsules do work as advertised.

1 - The have exceptional transient response. Almost a sdc like transient response, but with the voicing of a LDC. Makes for a genuinely interesting, useful mic.

2 - They are very quiet, with very healthy output levels.

When combined with a capable, clean/fast preamp, they offer a very lifelike reproduction of the source. As a stereo pair, I like them at least as much as the brass cap 414's I had.

This demo is probably the best example of their sound. Fast, quiet, with a really nice reedy midrange and not a hint of harshness to be found. Whats not to like???

PS, interestingly, I also have the non golden drop predecessor of this capsule (which also sounds great), so I can get a good idea of the difference.

Last edited:
1 - The have exceptional transient response. Almost a sdc like transient response, but with the voicing of a LDC. Makes for a genuinely interesting, useful mic.
Not sure how this could be the case. Transient response is determined by diaphragm mass. It is also inseparable from frequency response. This is physics, even though the marketing often advertises something else. The mass of the diaphragm is not affected by the miniscule amount of gold. The only way this could be the true is if they used significantly thinner diaphragm material. Which could be the case. SDC doesn't necessarily have better transient response, this is again dependent on other parameters. Transient response is very difficult to asses without doing objective measurements. Even some modern ribbon mics have better transient response than some older SDCs.

Images like this are spread throughout the interned, and autors live in delusion they show transient response. In reality they show effect of several different things, that may or not have something to do with transient response.

That being said, published FR of JZ mics do show excellent transient response presuming they are acurate. I am pretty sure golden drop technology is not the sole reason for this.

I also applaud to JZ for taking the effort to innovate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_005430.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_005430.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back