The Middle East Friendship Chart

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. If you think he is doing a good job now, congrats.

You apparently didn't read what I wrote. Quoting myself:
And Obama and Biden both did a bad job as well.

Also, if you say Bush did a great job with Afghanistan and then Obama screwed everything up (which is pretty much what you did in fact say), don't expect to get a pass because you claim to know so much about the Middle East. I do acknowledge that the quote (ie, not my words) I included had a somewhat pedantic tone, but I was more concerned with the content than the tone.

quoting myself, "If you think he is doing a good job now, congrats."

JR
I don't think any president has done a good job with Afghanistan. Period. Bush started okay but quickly screwed it up--for himself and all who have followed. Congress has certainly been complicit as well.

Biden has made a mess of things, but Trump did not leave him in a good position--regardless of your protestations to the contrary. I am more than willing to state that Democratic presidents have done a poor job with the situation--are you constitutionally capable of admitting the errors of their Republican counterparts?

Sadly this will get worse from here.

Since we no longer secure terrorists in Gitmo, these bad actors who were captured have been released as multiple Afghan prisons have been breached by the Taliban takeover. Like 20 years ago, under Taliban rule, ISIS, Al Qaeda, and other radical organizations will be allowed to reconstitute and operate in relative safety, due to general lawlessness.

The young Afghan people with 20 years of hope and education are already seeing that promise of a better future evaporate.

Don't watch the ugly videos coming out of Kabul airport. Flights had to be cancelled because thousands of Afghans trying to escape Taliban rule have clogged the runways. The last plane the got out literally had Afghans clinging to the fuselage. They didn't fare well.

Let the finger pointing begin...:rolleyes: I'd rather try to find a path to manage a way out of this but this looks like 20 years of work (blood and treasure) has just been forfeit.

JR

Only time will tell how much it gets worse, But it’s time to get out. I don’t care for Biden’s policy on many things but I’m all in on this one. 20 years, many lives lost and a trillion dollars later, It’s time.

Only time will tell how much it gets worse, But it’s time to get out. I don’t care for Biden’s policy on many things but I’m all in on this one. 20 years, many lives lost and a trillion dollars later, It’s time.
I don't think you'll get any arguments from people about wanting to get out of Afghanistan. The problem is the way it was done and the most frustrating part, it seems it was done this way on purpose. Shelter in place?! (read: you're on your own). The top brass of US military might be too busy trying on panties and flying rainbow flags but I'd hate to think they are this inept. Anyone with a fully formed brain understands you'd have to secure at least 2 airfields and not give weapons to the enemy before making an exit. The Taliban takeover was inevitable but we look like absolute clowns. Just look at what's happening off the coast of Taiwan right now. Coincidence? Not a chance.

Biden is an absolute failure by all measures.

For reference.

Last edited:
As I predicated the finger pointing began already. This was apparently ex-president Trumps fault, and the Afghan people. :rolleyes: While there is much blame to go around.
=======
Indeed all of our allies around the world have reasons to be worried.

China has already used this opportunity to take cheap shots at Russia and the US over our common history and apparent failures in Afghanistan. Afghanistan is called "the graveyard of empires" for good reason.

In international relations the only thing world leaders (and opponents) respect is strength and this recent debacle feeds the criticism that we are a declining world power.

It is too easy to criticize the "how" or more correctly the "WTF" of this withdrawal. It is almost like somebody wrote a checklist of all the worst case scenarios, then worked actively to make them happen sooner rather than later. I am a little disappointed by smart people I respect who clearly have not been paying attention until this erupted into the recent news cycle. I have been paying attention as evidenced by participation in this thread since 2015.

IMO what has been missed is how many soldiers we had already drawn down without empowering the Taliban. The Afghan army and special forces were holding the Taliban in check as long as they received adequate western support (like air cover). The long term cost of this military support (contractors) may have been the true reason for withdrawing. Don't be fooled by political arguments about protecting US soldiers (for extra credit when was the last US KIA?).
===
I have long voiced my criticism of the mission creep (nation building) while we seem to have lost sight of the original mission that is still valid. That mission was to prevent safe harbor for terrorism in Afghanistan. It is not difficult to imagine a further scaled back military presence in Afghanistan that could still prevent ISIS, Al Qaeda, et all from safely operating there. Abandoning all our military bases and air fields there seems especially unwise in this regard. Hard to see a good path for the Afghan people from here.

JR

PS: News reports are a little sketchy about how many westerners are still stuck in Afghanistan (10k?) by the botched withdrawal. The Taliban have blocked entry into the Kabul airport to prevent more people from escaping the country.

I don't think you'll get any arguments from people about wanting to get out of Afghanistan. The problem is the way it was done and the most frustrating part, it seems it was done this way on purpose. Shelter in place?! (read: you're on your own). The top brass of US military might be too busy trying on panties and flying rainbow flags but I'd hate to think they are this inept. Anyone with a fully formed brain understands you'd have to secure at least 2 airfields and not give weapons to the enemy before making an exit. The Taliban takeover was inevitable but we look like absolute clowns. Just look at what's happening off the coast of Taiwan right now. Coincidence? Not a chance.

For reference.

Militarily and foreign policy wise, you are absolute clowns. Always have been. You just have short memory spans and keep forgetting about your last humiliating defeats:

Remember 30'000 American trained and armed Iraqi troops running away from 800 ISIS fighters in Mosul?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/800-terrorists-rout-30k-iraqi-soldiershttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/mosul-isis-gunmen-middle-east-states
What did you expect would happen in Afghanistan? When your puppet government collapses before you've even completed your withdrawal, the only question you should be asking is what the hell have you been doing for the last 2 decades?

Militarily and foreign policy wise, you are absolute clowns. Always have been. You just have short memory spans and keep forgetting about your last humiliating defeats:

Remember 30'000 American trained and armed Iraqi troops running away from 800 ISIS fighters in Mosul?
Coincidentally ex-president Obama mishandled the pullout from Iraq, before the country was fully stabilized. We still have military in Germany and Japan all these years later, but think its sensible to zero out military presence in unstable regions (I see a pattern here).

For contrast look at the short work ex-president Trump made of the ISIS caliphate (Iraq/Syria) when he allowed the military to do what they do without politicians second guessing the military leaders.
What did you expect would happen in Afghanistan? When your puppet government collapses before you've even completed your withdrawal, the only question you should be asking is what the hell have you been doing for the last 2 decades?
I sure didn't expect this cluster fsk..... This is not a good outcome.

This could not have been much worse if they actively tried to screw it up.

JR

Only 2 decades? You're preaching to the choir. The US government is an absolute joke but this is truly beyond belief.

No arguments here.

Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev -
“It (the U.S. campaign) was a failed enterprise from the start even though Russia supported it during the first stages,” he added.
“Like many other similar projects at its heart lay the exaggeration of a threat and poorly defined geopolitical ideas. To that were added unrealistic attempts to democratise a society made up of many tribes.”

Coincidentally ex-president Obama mishandled the pullout from Iraq, before the country was fully stabilized. We still have military in Germany and Japan all these years later, but think its sensible to zero out military presence in unstable regions (I see a pattern here).
But the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan had nothing to do with stabilising these countries. Saddam and the Taliban were creations of the US and its allies. The US itself built up Saddam, and Pakistan created the Taliban to counter Soviet/Indian influence. Both were funded with Gulf money and US approval.

Neither Iraq or Afghanistan were unstable either. The Taliban didn't attack anyone outside of the country and posed no threat to the US. Saddam was a spent force in a country with no control over its own airspace, and no army left to defend it. There was no point in attacking either country, other than a demonstration of force. "We're doing this because we can".

If Al-Qaeda was the problem, they could have been dealt with differently. But since the US never had any intention of cutting off Al-Qaeda's funding or going after their funders, the War on Terror was a sham from the start.

For contrast look at the short work ex-president Trump made of the ISIS caliphate (Iraq/Syria) when he allowed the military to do what they do without politicians second guessing the military leaders.
Peshmerga, Iraqi Shia militia's, Hezbollah, and the Syriab Arab Army (majority of whom were Sunni) wiped out ISIS and Al-Nusra on the ground. They did in 3 years what the US failed to do in 20 years in Afghanistan.

US and Russian bombs did flatten entire cities but you can't win a war that way. All the other side has to do is hide, wait for you to give up or run out of money, and come back out again. See the Taliban.

You aren't going to convince anyone to die for your cause with money either: armies created to defend foreign installed puppet regimes are destined to fail if no-one believes in their legitimacy. Soldiers need to be ideologically aligned with their cause. That's why Kurds and Iranian backed troops always do so well – they're indigenous forces defending their homeland against foreign invaders. Same goes for the Taliban.

Probably why the US also does so badly in wars. When's the last time US soldiers actually defended their homeland? How many US soldiers sign up for passports, education grants, reduced sentences? What's the cause US soldiers fight for?

I sure didn't expect this cluster fsk..... This is not a good outcome.

This could not have been much worse if they actively tried to screw it up.

JR
They started an unwinnable war, then lied about winning it for 20 years. All you're seeing now is the truth.

Last edited:
But the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan had nothing to do with stabilising these countries. Saddam and the Taliban were creations of the US and its allies. The US itself built up Saddam, and Pakistan created the Taliban to counter Soviet/Indian influence. Both were funded with Gulf money and US approval.
The whole premise of this years long thread is exploring the complex relationships between groups in the middle east and the west. The Sunni/Shia tension are like two sides of the same bad penny that keeps turning up.

The classic argument is that the US caused the ME problems. I guess we'll see if Afghanistan turns into a tea party (summer of love) now.
Neither Iraq or Afghanistan were unstable either.
The mission has generally been defined as mitigating threats against the west, and western interests. This dates back to the Tripoli pirates interfering with free trade and commerce.
The Taliban didn't attack anyone outside of the country and posed no threat to the US.
As I already noted, the Taliban's fault was providing safe haven to Al Qaeda. The original operation in Afghanistan was surgical and took out that Al Qaeda base, without a heavy military presence in Afghanistan. Since then mission creep has turned this into a 20 year boondoggle, and redefined the Taliban as the terrorists. As I said before, the Taliban are bad guys but not "the" bad guys.
Saddam was a spent force in a country with no control over its own airspace, and no army left to defend it. There was no point in attacking either country, other than a demonstration of force. "We're doing this because we can".
The no-fly zone over Iraq was to stop Saddam from attacking his own people (he used poison gas on the Kurds). His military was degraded by driving him out of Kuwait after he invaded and set the oil fields there on fire, then he refused a UN order to withdraw. His justification was linked to the earlier 8 year long Iran/Iraq war (where poison gas was also used).

There was a flawed intelligence assessment of Saddam's WMD capability, while he was openly supporting terrorist behavior in the region.
If Al-Qaeda was the problem, they could have been dealt with differently. But since the US never had any intention of cutting off Al-Qaeda's funding or going after their funders, the War on Terror was a sham from the start.
The war against terror is still ongoing and restoring Taliban rule over Afghanistan could lead to another safe haven there. If the Taliban learned anything from the last 20 years it should be to not shelter radical islamic terror groups. I don't think the top leadership is ignorant so we will see, how they behave.

The Taliban right now just want to get us out of the area so I don't expect them to do anything very stupid (like poking the bear), but there are already anecdotal reports of bad behavior by random militants.
Peshmerga, Iraqi Shia militia's, Hezbollah, and the Syriab Arab Army (majority of whom were Sunni) wiped out ISIS and Al-Nusra on the ground. They did in 3 years what the US failed to do in 20 years in Afghanistan.
not apples and oranges, but the Kurdish Peshmerga are surely fierce fighters.

The mission creep in Afghanistan was so poorly defined that nobody could ever declare success?
US and Russian bombs did flatten entire cities but you can't win a war that way. All the other side has to do is hide, wait for you to give up or run out of money, and come back out again. See the Taliban.
Yes a classic taunt... "we don't need to beat you militarily, we just need to outlast you and wait until you leave". They probably didn't expect that to take 20 years to come true.
You aren't going to convince anyone to die for your cause with money either: armies created to defend foreign installed puppet regimes are destined to fail if no-one believes in their legitimacy. Soldiers need to be ideologically aligned with their cause. That's why Kurds and Iranian backed troops always do so well – they're indigenous forces defending their homeland against foreign invaders. Same goes for the Taliban.
not asking, while our several NATO allies also providing support in Afghanistan are pretty PO'd about the abrupt pullout without coordination. The US administration claims they planned for this (seriously?).
Probably why the US also does so badly in wars. When's the last time US soldiers actually defended their homeland? How many US soldiers sign up for passports, education grants, reduced sentences? What's the cause US soldiers fight for?
The US is blessed with strong natural borders (oceans), while the current administration refuses to lock the front door.
They started an unwinnable war, then lied about winning it for 20 years. All you're seeing now is the truth.
Sun Tzu famously argued to keep politicians out of waging warfare. We are seeing the result of allowing politicians to drive the bus for 20 years.

This mismanaged pullout is a black stain on the decades of blood and treasure spent there. Sadly we still haven't seen the full unintended consequences of this collapse of order. I can't imagine this being handled any worse, but we are still learning more bad news daily.

JR

The whole premise of this years long thread is exploring the complex relationships between groups in the middle east and the west. The Sunni/Shia tension are like two sides of the same bad penny that keeps turning up.
Myth. There is no historic Sunni v Shia tension. Saudi's created this divide in 1979 after fearing the Iranian revolution would spread to other Gulf countries, and their tinpot monarchies would be overthrown. Portraying Shia's as heretics and non-muslims was the easiest way to discredit the Iranian Islamic revolution.

The classic argument is that the US caused the ME problems. I guess we'll see if Afghanistan turns into a tea party (summer of love) now.
Bad argument. US is responsible for the mess Afghanistan is in because they supported the creation of Islamic militia's to overthrow the communist government (see "Lady Taliban").

Had the US and their allies not meddled, there would be no Al-Qaeda or Taliban.

The mission has generally been defined as mitigating threats against the west, and western interests. This dates back to the Tripoli pirates interfering with free trade and commerce.

As I already noted, the Taliban's fault was providing safe haven to Al Qaeda. The original operation in Afghanistan was surgical and took out that Al Qaeda base, without a heavy military presence in Afghanistan. Since then mission creep has turned this into a 20 year boondoggle, and redefined the Taliban as the terrorists. As I said before, the Taliban are bad guys but not "the" bad guys.
War is about getting rich. It's never about any mission.

The no-fly zone over Iraq was to stop Saddam from attacking his own people (he used poison gas on the Kurds).
With full knowledge, support, and consent of the US. Saddam was your SOB when he was gassing the Kurds and Iranians.

His military was degraded by driving him out of Kuwait after he invaded and set the oil fields there on fire, then he refused a UN order to withdraw. His justification was linked to the earlier 8 year long Iran/Iraq war (where poison gas was also used).
Saddam was broke and owed Kuwait billions for the Iran-Iraq war. He asked Kuwait to forgive the debt, and when they said no, he invaded them.

US set him up by telling him they wouldn't defend Kuwait or interfere in Arab affairs. That's the only other thing that's certain apart from death: the US will stab you in the back.

There was a flawed intelligence assessment of Saddam's WMD capability, while he was openly supporting terrorist behavior in the region.
He wasn't. He was a secular madman who hated Islamists. Entire case against him supporting Al-Qaeda was fake.

The war against terror is still ongoing and restoring Taliban rule over Afghanistan could lead to another safe haven there. If the Taliban learned anything from the last 20 years it should be to not shelter radical islamic terror groups. I don't think the top leadership is ignorant so we will see, how they behave.
"War on Terror" is over. US lost, "terrorists" won.

Wouldn't have ended this way if the US would have bombed Riyadh instead of Kabul.

Yes a classic taunt... "we don't need to beat you militarily, we just need to outlast you and wait until you leave". They probably didn't expect that to take 20 years to come true.
Not a taunt. It's reality: to beat someone stronger than you in a war, all you need to do is survive.

not asking, while our several NATO allies also providing support in Afghanistan are pretty PO'd about the abrupt pullout without coordination. The US administration claims they planned for this (seriously?).
US did everything, and spent all the fortune. Lipservice from other "allies" doesn't change the future burden would have continued to be American.

This is one of the rare times America does something in its own interest.

The US is blessed with strong natural borders (oceans), while the current administration refuses to lock the front door.

Sun Tzu famously argued to keep politicians out of waging warfare. We are seeing the result of allowing politicians to drive the bus for 20 years.

This mismanaged pullout is a black stain on the decades of blood and treasure spent there. Sadly we still haven't seen the full unintended consequences of this collapse of order. I can't imagine this being handled any worse, but we are still learning more bad news daily.
The puppet government was so rotten and corrupt, it was always going to collapse. You're better off it happened now instead of in a month on September 11th. You would never have lived that down.

Myth. There is no historic Sunni v Shia tension. Saudi's created this divide in 1979 after fearing the Iranian revolution would spread to other Gulf countries, and their tinpot monarchies would be overthrown. Portraying Shia's as heretics and non-muslims was the easiest way to discredit the Iranian Islamic revolution.

Darn, I never ever realized this connection - there's a lot of illogical events that fall into place with this.. Thanks.

Bad argument. US is responsible for the mess Afghanistan is in because they supported the creation of Islamic militia's to overthrow the communist government (see "Lady Taliban").

Had the US and their allies not meddled, there would be no Al-Qaeda or Taliban.

War is about getting rich. It's never about any mission.

With full knowledge, support, and consent of the US. Saddam was your SOB when he was gassing the Kurds and Iranians.

Saddam was broke and owed Kuwait billions for the Iran-Iraq war. He asked Kuwait to forgive the debt, and when they said no, he invaded them.

US set him up by telling him they wouldn't defend Kuwait or interfere in Arab affairs. That's the only other thing that's certain apart from death: the US will stab you in the back.

He wasn't. He was a secular madman who hated Islamists. Entire case against him supporting Al-Qaeda was fake.

"War on Terror" is over. US lost, "terrorists" won.

Wouldn't have ended this way if the US would have bombed Riyadh instead of Kabul.

Not a taunt. It's reality: to beat someone stronger than you in a war, all you need to do is survive.

US did everything, and spent all the fortune. Lipservice from other "allies" doesn't change the future burden would have continued to be American.

This is one of the rare times America does something in its own interest.

The puppet government was so rotten and corrupt, it was always going to collapse. You're better off it happened now instead of in a month on September 11th. You would never have lived that down.
I can't swallow whole your claims about US responsibility for everything bad in the ME, but we own the Afghan situation now. A lot to chew on in your sundry claims.

If the US supported Saddam gassing the Kurds, why did we enforce the no fly zone over Iraq? I was already aware of much inconvenient history from the region. The US support of the mujahideen in Afghanistan dates back to ex-President Jimmy Carter (famously including OBL). This was a classic "enemy of my enemy is my friend" play. The dominant international conflict back then was US vs Soviets (cold war), now it's a three way scrum including China.

I predict Sept 11th will already be very embarrassing, but there are still thousands abandoned in harms way right now because of the bungled military draw down. The Taliban should not want to restart a hot war by impeding transit of western citizens, but this will probably not end well for interpreters and Taliban opposition.

JR

I can't swallow whole your claims about US responsibility for everything bad in the ME, but we own the Afghan situation now. A lot to chew on in your sundry claims.
Don't confuse history with 'claims'.

The US MO has been to overthrow secular MENA governments and turn them into failed states overrun by Islamist fanatics.

The Afghan government overthrown by the Taliban was communist/socialist. Same with the PLO in Gaza, who were socialists. Overthrown by Hamas with US and Israeli support.

If the US supported Saddam gassing the Kurds, why did we enforce the no fly zone over Iraq?
Saddam gassed Kurds and Iranians from 1980 to 1988. US couldn't care less who he was gassing, as long as Iran didn't win the war. US "no fly zone" was imposed after 1991.

US didn't admit the extent of Saddam's gass attacks until it needed a justification for the 2003 invasion. Also long enough after the fact to avoid the uncomfortable questions: where did Saddam get the chemicals from, and how did he target the weapons?

In the 80's, Saddam was your SOB. Didn't lift a finger without US approval or Gulf funding.

I was already aware of much inconvenient history from the region. The US support of the mujahideen in Afghanistan dates back to ex-President Jimmy Carter (famously including OBL). This was a classic "enemy of my enemy is my friend" play. The dominant international conflict back then was US vs Soviets (cold war), now it's a three way scrum including China.
You pin everything on Democrats as if it makes a difference. Reagan and Clinton continued support of the Taliban until the communist Afghan government was overthrown in 1996.

Wasn't until Albright that the Taliban was identified as a 'problem'.

I predict Sept 11th will already be very embarrassing, but there are still thousands abandoned in harms way right now because of the bungled military draw down. The Taliban should not want to restart a hot war by impeding transit of western citizens, but this will probably not end well for interpreters and Taliban opposition.
US abandoning 'friends' is par for the course. Trump did the same to the Kurds and anyone else stupid enough to imagine they could count on the US.

Might be a good time to mention both Assad's (father and son) were US allies. Stabbed in the back, same as all the other secular middle-eastern rulers (Saddam, Mubarek, Gaddafi, Shah of Iran etc)

You make subjective claims about intent that are not in the objective historical record.

Picking sides in international relations is often about choosing lesser evils, and changing alliances.
==
I don't recall much about the elder Assad but the younger was reportedly accused of supporting the Hezbollah truck bomb assassination of the popular leader in Lebanon (Hariri) who was unifying that country, and who argued to get Syrian troops out of his country. Iran was also supporting Hezbollah. Of course Lebanon rose to my awareness after the marine barracks truck bombing there, I questioned ex-President Reagan's withdrawal. Time has not clarified that decision for me.

More recently Assad was dealing with his own civil war in Syria trying to remove him from power. Syria was sanctioned internationally for gassing their own people. IIRC ex-President Obama famously drew a red line, warning Assad not to do that again. Ex-President Trump enforced the red line by punishing Assad with surgical missile strikes.

You will likely have a different recollection of this, Russian and Iranian sources who support Assad spin it differently. it appears some of these old conflicts and tension are still playing out.

Try to avoid simple answers for complex questions in the region. Russia is using the Syrian port of Tartus to house 11 war ships there ( a pretty simple answer). Russia militarily punches above it's weight in the international 3 way scrum between US, Russia, and China. Being able to express military power in the ME region supports Russian goals.

JR

Latest posts

Back