UTM INDUSTRY audio transformers - from Poland - EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the recently-added housings, I'm curious if there are any plans to create an A21 alternative? Of course there are many UTC-style transformers that would surely be popular offerings in that housing, and I ask about the A21 specifically because I could use it in an upcoming project if it were available.

Last edited:
That would be pretty good, because used stock of those UTC transformers dried out and price are too high.

it would be great to have some high quality alternatives
I used the AMI/Tab-Funkenwerk UT10 and UT24 in a recent project. The work great, sound fantastic, and fit the exact mounting form factor.

Would always be great to have more options though, especially for EU-based builders

Hello Whoops & soapfoot,
A-10 or A-24
Good news : ´suffices to read again UTM industries catalog & you’ll find the relevant output transformer.

Yet you could still ask for a A-10 or Triad equivalent.

Last edited:

The sowter has totally different specs. To me it looks like only the ratio is similar.

RATIO1:9.13
MAXIMUM LEVEL 0.5 % THD at 50 Hz (40 ohm source)+12 dBu
PRIMARY INDUCTANCE6.7 H approx
DC Resistance (primary)41 Ohms approx
DC Resistance (secondary)2360 Ohms approx
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 600 Ohms source 50K Ohms load. (-3 dB points)5Hz to 30K Hz

My point is that it's not really an alternative. To me, there are two totally different transformers. Which one is better is subjective and it depends on the application I guess.

My point is that it's not really an alternative. To me, there are two totally different transformers. Which one is better is subjective and it depends on the application I guess.

I guess igs by "alternative" meant a transformer that can replace the UTC A10 in the LA2A circuit, he was not saying the Sowter transformer was a clone of the UTC A10.

Sowter doesn't make clones of other transformers, for the vintage line they make their own take for the replacements of the original transformers, that will work in a specific circuit, normally Sowter transformers have better specs than the transformers they're meant to replace in a circuit, so they're not clones.

There's probably many other transformers that could replace the A10, I don't think there's only one alternative. Maybe Cinemag, Edcor and Lundahl have transformers that could work well also for this duty.

Anyway as I'm located in EU, UTM would be my go to.

Can the screws running through the center of the Neve style inductors be removed? I have low clearance on the PCBs because they are stacked one over the other like in the original units.

Hi everyone!
I just received some transfos today, including UTM2546 for a 1176 revD build, so i am curious to know if anyone here did it also?
And if yes, how did you wire it and include it in your build? (Using pcb, direct soldering, fixing on the chassis, etc....)

thanks for your inputs!

Back