Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are only two disinfectants in tap water. Chlorine in most cases, chloramine in the rest. Neither react with Ca+ or Mg+ in tap water.

When you take up Chlorine reacting with rare contaminations, like PFAs or other man-made chemicals, I'm at a loss. These weren't even on my radar when I was working in the water treatment industry...

There are only two disinfectants in tap water. Chlorine in most cases, chloramine in the rest. Neither react with Ca+ or Mg+ in tap water.
again, he's talking about the byproducts of disinfection

in my report

• trichloroacetic acid
  • dichloroacetic acid
  • monochloroacetic acid
  • dibromoacetic acid
  • monobromoacetic acid
  • and
  • Trihalomethanes are cancer-causing contaminants that form during water treatment with chlorine and other disinfectants. The total trihalomethanes group includes four chemicals: chloroform, bromodichloromethane, dibromochloromethane and bromoform.

my beverages of choice are beer and coffee,

Greetings JR and other DIY afficianados.

Ah ... I am pleased to resume the original Entropy Topic ! (Dear ol' Cyrano wants to hijack the thread and morph it about some sort of "Columnist" Water Threat ...) :) :)

BACK ON TOPIC -- ENTROPY REVERSED !!!

I spent the past couple of days FIXING My beloved Gaggia espresso machine. This was a serious ordeal as it left me without the precious coffee extract for nearly three whole days! I tore it down, explored, cleaned, checked, and re-cleaned the boiler and brew head with high grade descaling sauce and rebuilt the solenoid valve and other problematic bits.

Today, I successfully pulled a wonderfully good double shot - what Espresso Junkies call a "God Shot" - and suddenly the sun came out and all was good again !! I was seriously worried I would have to shell out major folding money for a new machine, which just happens to be enticingly on sale for 20% off this week, but as we all well know, FIXING SOMETHING FOR FREE IS ... well ... PRICELESS.

So, while it is now snowing outside, I am once again warm inside, enjoying that heady sense of self satisfaction that comes from a successful DIY project. Ah .... yes. Happy trails you y'all. James

again, he's talking about the byproducts of disinfection

in my report

• trichloroacetic acid
  • dichloroacetic acid
  • monochloroacetic acid
  • dibromoacetic acid
  • monobromoacetic acid

Afaik, these are harmless. Think aspirin, think wart treatment...

• [*]and
    [*]Trihalomethanes are cancer-causing contaminants that form during water treatment with chlorine and other disinfectants. The total trihalomethanes group includes four chemicals: chloroform, bromodichloromethane, dibromochloromethane and bromoform.

These are carcinogenic, but... In low concentrations? Besides, I've never heard of these in tap water. And if you want to look, there's also traces of cocaine, birth control pills and other medicine.

It doesn't mean much if I've never heard of them, of course. I wouldn't worry. Besides, a lot of bottled water is just tap water, with some treatment.

Greetings JR and other DIY afficianados.

Ah ... I am pleased to resume the original Entropy Topic ! (Dear ol' Cyrano wants to hijack the thread and morph it about some sort of "Columnist" Water Threat ...) :) :)

BACK ON TOPIC -- ENTROPY REVERSED !!!

I spent the past couple of days FIXING My beloved Gaggia espresso machine. This was a serious ordeal as it left me without the precious coffee extract for nearly three whole days! I tore it down, explored, cleaned, checked, and re-cleaned the boiler and brew head with high grade descaling sauce and rebuilt the solenoid valve and other problematic bits.

Today, I successfully pulled a wonderfully good double shot - what Espresso Junkies call a "God Shot" - and suddenly the sun came out and all was good again !! I was seriously worried I would have to shell out major folding money for a new machine, which just happens to be enticingly on sale for 20% off this week, but as we all well know, FIXING SOMETHING FOR FREE IS ... well ... PRICELESS.

So, while it is now snowing outside, I am once again warm inside, enjoying that heady sense of self satisfaction that comes from a successful DIY project. Ah .... yes. Happy trails you y'all. James

I'm glad you succeeded. I tried the same with a machine a friend was throwing out. Didn't succeed. So I gave it to someone who knows a bit about these and loves them. All good in the end. Another machine that didn't end on the pile...

Me, I like French cafetières. Simple, fast, good coffee.

Afaik, these are harmless. Think aspirin, think wart treatment...
The point of bringing these byproducts of disinfection up is that they somehow cause the water to become less alkaline and it's not because of the chlorine itself which you were saying couldn't. But whatever.

Besides, I've never heard of these in tap water.
Me neither. But the reports have always been there. Just never thought about it . I usually just go by instinct and know I don't like the taste of tap water and haven't in quite some time. I don't like the taste of many bottled waters as well. But I'm willing to drink it if it's better for you . I ingest worse tasting things .

I wouldn't worry. Besides, a lot of bottled water is just tap water, with some treatment.
It's confusing because, it sounds like you're saying the filter machines that I have been using as a supply for my drinking water are possibly worse for my body than the tap water that smells and tastes nasty imo, but maybe I'm misundertsanding..

I'm saying I can't tell.

The filters in that machine won't add nasties, unless they're really badly maintained, but they're not a miracle of healthy either. And that still leaves the question "What's going in?" I don't know the water market in the US. And sometimes, guessing it will be the same as over here, is shady at best.

Anyhow, water is good for you. I think I'll have a monk's brew now :cool:

Tripel. Also Trappist, but amber in stead of dark.

BTW We lost one of the "real" trappists. There are no monks left in that monastery.

I am familiar with tripls (3x strength).... My Peavey coworkers working across Europe would bring me Belgian beers to enjoy at the Messe in Frankfurt. One year I carried two unopened tripls back home with me, and pitched the live yeast from the bottom of the bottles into a new batch of 2x strength Johnny beer. As I recall it was excellent. :cool:

JR

9,5% for the tripel. The double has a bit less. That's for Westmalle. Westvleteren is a bit higher. Some monasteries don't make tripel. And there's also a lighter version that the monks drink on a daily basis. It's only 4,5%, IIRC. That wasn't for sale until recently.

The "double" or "tripel" have to do with the brewing process, not the alcohol content.

AFAIK the Belgian tripls are ... not necessarily for being dark or thick...
Um ... ahem ... I did not say "dark."

The Belgian Style Ales I have tried have had what beer aficionados call thick or dense "mouth feel" - a far sight more rich and dense than your run of the mill Lager or Pilsner. Of course, you may be familiar with different brews than I am, and I admit I gave up beer for Lent several years ago, consuming only the finest high grade Bourbon ever since ! :) James /K8JHR

I'm not sure if this qualifies as entropy but I have a handy tilt switch transmitter link to an alarm inside that notifies me when my mail is delivered. Recently I have seen two different failures. One day last week it did not go off when mail was placed into my box, today instead it gave me an extra false alarm with the box untouched.

I guess working properly "most" of the time is something, but I would like more of the time.

JR

You know, the ability to fix stuff is a blessing and a curse, at least for me, a musician. If I wasn't adept at repairs I would have worked harder to be a better bassist.

Today I'm replacing rotted out fascia and soffits in a part of the house where nothing is square and the sun don't shine enough. The handyman wanted $100 hour for stuff like that. >>> Entropy. PVC slows down entropy.

It would have been at least $1K. So there's the blessing side. The curse side no music gigs to even say no too and it's getting colder.>>>Entropy

When I was on the road for 5 years It was very hard to shift my focus from performing to fixing or designing. I designed and built my Small Signal Tube Checker while I was getting a bachelors in 95-97. But as I got older and the concerts were more enjoyable the less I wanted to solder. I was more flexible. Now at times I really hate that I do repairs and upgrades even though the money's much more than making music. So my internal >>>entropy<<< right there.

You know, the ability to fix stuff is a blessing and a curse, at least for me, a musician. If I wasn't adept at repairs I would have worked harder to be a better bassist.

Today I'm replacing rotted out fascia and soffits in a part of the house where nothing is square and the sun don't shine enough. The handyman wanted $100 hour for stuff like that. >>> Entropy. PVC slows down entropy.

It would have been at least $1K. So there's the blessing side. The curse side no music gigs to even say no too and it's getting colder.>>>Entropy

When I was on the road for 5 years It was very hard to shift my focus from performing to fixing or designing. I designed and built my Small Signal Tube Checker while I was getting a bachelors in 95-97. But as I got older and the concerts were more enjoyable the less I wanted to solder. I was more flexible. Now at times I really hate that I do repairs and upgrades even though the money's much more than making music. So my internal >>>entropy<<< right there.
I've shared this anecdote before but back when I was managing an engineering group, while still doing my own product designs I had to mentally shift gears between thinking "management", and thinking "design".

JR

Back