FEELER: Moby´s V2545 transformer reincarnation CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about getting two or four, but I spent too long mulling over the fact that no one makes a shallow dish CK12…and I didn’t realize there would be a fifty unit cutoff. Just throwing it out there in case there is any thought already about doing a second batch.

I was thinking about getting two or four, but I spent too long mulling over the fact that no one makes a shallow dish CK12…and I didn’t realize there would be a fifty unit cutoff. Just throwing it out there in case there is any thought already about doing a second batch.
Really George the shallow CK12 sounds inferior. It is a struggle to get it to sound as good as the later models. You can make it sound good but there are compromises.

Sorry guys, there will be no 2nd batch. Maybe someone decide to quit and then @Vac11 will allow you to drop in. If not, then, the only chance is that I will put it on the list as a regular stock one. Also, the price will be quite diferent.

I've already had one friend ask me about making a mic with this transformer, so there's another data point that's perhaps in favor of adding this as a stock item eventually, even at an increased price.

Really George the shallow CK12 sounds inferior. It is a struggle to get it to sound as good as the later models. You can make it sound good but there are compromises.

I'd love to hear more about this! Would you mind sharing your impressions about what is inferior about it?

I do know that it's supposed to be not-as-bright. I'm not sure I've ever heard one (but I'm also not sure I've never heard one, as the fact that there were two versions is relatively recent knowledge for me)

Was that not the type of CK12 capsule which would have been in the microphones that these type of transformers would have also been in? I was under the impression that C12 and these Siemens would have had shallow dish capsules and that later 250 and 251 would have had the clear deep dish type.

I have heard deep dish type CK12 originals and clones in C12 builds that I thought sounded great - so I don’t take any issue with it, but it does stick in my mind that I have heard a few experienced and thoughtful people voice a preference for having the subtype of CK12 match the mic it was meant to go in. It all gets kind of philosophical I suppose.

I’d think aspects of the frequency response, off axis response, and sensitivity would seem a bit different, but I’ve never taken a mic with an original shallow dish CK12 and put a deep dish in it. I’ve just used C12 I suspect had the shallow dish and thought they were great.

Separately…have you ever made any CK12 with styroflex? Less sensitive to plosives or no? Do you think these Siemens were so early they would have even had that very early styroflex version more likely than not?

So cool! Such a detailed reproduction!
I find the modern replicas with PCB pins, Mylar insulation, new superior alloys, etc... boring. So, old school windings makes me excited :) Also, the sound of it seems to be exciting too. The true sound is in the details. Right?

Back