GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ptownkid said:
To be fair...page two says "Most likely less than $350" I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to know what I'm getting in to.
Yes, you are right. Then near the top of page 3 Volker posts that "calculations are final" with the $300 pricing.

No worries. You are not being difficult. I completely understand. Plus, this thread is huge and would take hours to read thru completely!

Regards, Jeff

As Jeff said  the price for the 11 and 12 slot modules was fixed at $300. However, few things cropped up. Originally I based all the screws as M2.5 hence one single operation as far as the tapping concerned. Later we changed the front module mountings (and the side panels) to #4-40 to keep you, the US and Canadian guys happy. The fabricator does not keep imperial taps, so I had to buy them  3 x #4-40 taps which cost me £30. We machined the rack ears in-house and the machining took much longer than I anticipated.  I also had to pay the aluminium supplier additional £40 for cutting the strips. There is a £1.40 charge for painting per set of rack ears. Finally my guy Nick had to spend some time to prepare a nice assembly drawing and do a general quality check on the batch. So, these would normally put the price up buy few bucks but we agreed to absorb the additional costs and honour the advertised retail price. But please note this price does not included any local taxes. For UK sales I have to add on 17.5% VAT unless we find a solution to this.

In terms of PSU I have also designed three verisons of a generic triple output circuit based on TL1085 -1033 and 783 respectively. LM317-337 and 317HV can also be used on them. However, since Volker designed the 51X pcb we will supply his PSU pcb with the kit. I will advertise my PSU kits seperately.

I have got the costing for the floor type PSU case, of which I posted the images. Hopefully in a couple of days we will be in a position to publish the kit price. We are literally debating where to get the transformer. However, due to the weight of it hence the increase in shipping cost we'll probably get them locally. I already have 30 off 200VA toroidals that I removed from unused Avalon power amplifiers. Although they have single secondary, I worked it all out and with a very simple surgery it easily converts to 2 x 18V and 2 x 24V output. Unfortunately it has a single  220-230V primary, therefore it will not be any use to 110V operation. I will supply these cheaply to clear.

There is a very small profit margin  from these and I can assure you that it does not even cover our time. I don't think anybody who does kits here will make serious money out of this and we are no exception. Personally, I absolved myself from any ambition of becoming rich from audio electronics.

sahib said:
For UK sales I have to add on 17.5% VAT unless we find a solution to this.

On a related note, do you need VAT-numbers from EU buyers (where applicable)?

[Do I understand correctly that you're shipping out [silent:arts]' orders (from this post)? What's the impact on shipping cost, seeing that shipping stuff out of the UK to Europe can be almost twice as expensive as shipping from mainland to mainland?]

sahib said:
Personally, I absolved myself from any ambition of becoming rich from audio electronics.

Sounds like a good way to keep Mr. Ulcer at bay.

Good luck and take it easy,

JDB.

If the price doesn't change radically upwards of that price, i'd like to put my name down for two 11spacers and a PSU (assuming they can power two.) for the next batch please :D

jdbakker said:
sahib said:
For UK sales I have to add on 17.5% VAT unless we find a solution to this.

On a related note, do you need VAT-numbers from EU buyers (where applicable)?
yes. otherwise I have to add 19% for Germany / Sahib 17.5% for UK. but you get a valid Invoice (speaking for me).

jdbakker said:
[Do I understand correctly that you're shipping out [silent:arts]' orders (from this post)? What's the impact on shipping cost, seeing that shipping stuff out of the UK to Europe can be almost twice as expensive as shipping from mainland to mainland?]
Sahib will ship his metal work to me. I will redestribute it with the PCBs etc.

regarding PSU Kits, all I can say is we haven't finished any pricing yet.
what I have in hand are 100 final and some beta PSU PCBs.
pricing is EUR 22,- (+ taxes where applicable), we voted BOM for "Unwort des Jahres" in Germany but as soon as I find time I will do one. tomorrow is the very last concert, expect one the day after.
I ordered 25 custom PSU transformers from Rondo Müller yesterday, can't tell any price before I have an order confirmation.
this is to cover any needs for the orders I will do. nobody needs to take one, I just want to be prepared.

all people on my list will be contacted once I received everything.

JDB,

Although Volker explained, from UK sales point of view as long as I am supplied with a valid VAT number the VAT becomes exempt.

In terms of shipping charges. You are correct in your point. It may become more expensive depending on the country. However, I noticed from the stuff that Volker sent to me, it seems like shipping charges in Germany are greatly cheaper than UK. But still we will consider the most economical way of shipping. In terms of sales it really does not make any difference to us whether you receive it from Volker, Jeff or me as we went into this as a joint venture and everything goes three ways.

sahib said:
However, I noticed from the stuff that Volker sent to me, it seems like shipping charges in Germany are greatly cheaper than UK.

Indeed. I've often noticed that it can be cheaper to ship the same item from the USA to mainland Europe than from the UK, and shipping an item to the UK is almost always much cheaper than the other way.

(My theory is that this has to do with the UK being an island. Shipping out of the UK will always go over water, and frequently by plane. Harmonized intra-EU shipping from the mainland on the other hand can assume that in most cases transport will go by road, so in effect the more expensive transport to the UK is subsidized by this model).

[silent:arts] said:
all people on my list will be contacted once I received everything.

So at that time we can supply you with VAT-numbers, right?

[silent:arts] said:
we voted BOM for "Unwort des Jahres" in Germany

I believe everyone in this thread would agree that the 51x cases are totally da BOM, no?

Enjoy your last concert,

JDB.

Barish said:
Hi Jeff,

Seeing that there's more demand to the units than supply, I have decided to pull out and make room for the first one that couldn't make it to the list. Since Sahib and I are brothers, I guess I can get one done for myself at some point later. I was not going to use the rack immediately anyway. So I'd appreciate it if you could take my name off the list and give way to the first chap in line.

Kind regards.

B.

Quoting myself from earlier on, I think you guys are too busy to change your schedule which I understand. I only wanted to do a favour to someone who have been left out. If you think it will be too much of a work to change the list at this stage then I would be more than happy to make the payment and settle it right now.

B.

Hi Barish,

Sorry, I forgot to acknowledge your very kind and generous post. It was a busy last few days. Heck, busy last few months!

At any rate, IMHO, it would be easier to leave things as they are for this go around. I'm sure the next chap down the list would not agree but that is my thought. I can be overruled if Volker or your bro don't mind. I know they are pretty darned busy too.

Cheers, Jeff

RightOnMusic said:
how do i get myself on the waiting list for the next batch of these?
Why...I believe you just did.  ;D

How many and with PSU I presume?

with the crazy of this thread I just want to make sure someone has me down for a power supply along with the 11 rack.  Just double checking!

To save you scrolling back here is my proposed power supply case again.

Dimensions are 300mm (depth) x 250mm (width) x 150mm (height). Material is 1.5mm mild stell and finished in powder coating.

The retail price is working out as £78.50 including the handle and the rubber feet. I have done a fair amount of research on what is available off-the-shelf and there are really cheap stuff for even £25. However, these are all out of 0.8mm material and you still have the pleasure of cutting all the holes. If you think the price is too expensive then we can cut down on the screen printing and have a blank facia.

I am not getting involved in other components at the moment as they will need to be bought no matter what. So it becomes irrelevant at this stage. How do you feel about it? I have talked to the fabricator and if I place the order immediately after new year I can get them done for the end of January.

gdiypsu_01.jpg

gdiypsu_02.jpg

gdiypsu_03.jpg

That PSU looks awesome, and if I may be so bold as too say that the pricing is ridiculously low considering the research and development that went into its creation. I'm definitely in for one (but I believe I've made this abundantly clear already!).

How much for the rack version of the PSU? Also, does one PSU power one 51X?

Latest posts

Back