New CK12 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C414 is the first model released in 1971. The second version 414EB is just as great but the brass capsule was discontinued so the later ones have the nylon capsule

IMG_1011.png

The one I don’t like it’s the last one in the photo above it’s the C414 XLS, it’s not a CK12 capsule.
I guess it’s more of an Harman microphone than a real AKG

View attachment 112002

The one I don’t like it’s the last one in the photo above it’s the C414 XLS, it’s not a CK12 capsule.
I guess it’s more of an Harman microphone than a real AKG
I mean it is a CK12, it's just a bad teflon one. CK12 is the model of capsule, though I definitely agree the XLS and XLII don't sound great, though that could be a circuit thing. I'd keep the C414 TLII in mind if you want a brighter solid sounding more recent C414. To my knowledge AKG still services the B-ULS and TLII so I'd imagine it's not too hard to get at least the capsule.

Anyway, I've used the CAD M179 and the Lewitt LCT441 FLEX, another K67 based "414", and I chose to keep a pair of CADs over the Lewitt. I'd say they'll be a lot better of a utility mic than the CM414, which is another K67 based (but edge terminated) "414". Another great 414 style mic is the sE Electronics T2 and 4400a. Literally the only piece of gear I've sold I regret parting with. Like the others it's not a CK12 design.
I have no experience with them but I agree with soliloqueen
Kind of looks like an edge terminated k67
Definitely looks like it could be, it reminds me of the Peluso CEK-12 and Advanced Audio AK-12 (though some of the pictures I've seen of AKG's capsules don't have visible holes either). I don't know how to tell just by looking though, I just have a hunch. I do think it's a nice looking capsule though. I really dig aluminum and titanium capsules.

Last edited:
I mean it is a CK12, it's just a bad teflon one. CK12 is the model of capsule, though I definitely agree the XLS and XLII don't sound great, though that could be a circuit thing.

I explained in one of the previous posts, the difference between the XLS and the XLII is that the XLII is supposed to have a CK12 capsule, while the XLS don't.
So no, the capsule in the C414 XLS is definitely not a CK12.

If the capsule in the XLII is a true CK12 or not, I can't be sure, but that seems what the marketing says.

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 02.03.16.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 02.05.38.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 02.06.36.png

I explained in one of the previous posts, the difference between the XLS and the XLII is that the XLII is supposed to have a CK12 capsule, while the XLS don't.
So no, the capsule in the C414 XLS is definitely not a CK12.

If the capsule in the XLII is a true CK12 or not, I can't be sure, but that seems what the marketing says.

View attachment 112003

View attachment 112004

View attachment 112006
Except that's objectively incorrect. AKG literally says the XLS capsule is a CK12 in the service docs.Screenshot_20230719_202800_Samsung Notes.jpg

Also Recording Hacks isn't a reliable source of information. Half the the stuff I've seen on there is either opinion based, speculation, or flat out incorrect.

It seems by the service docs that Harman decided to call the same name, "CK12", to 2 different capsules, the one in the XLS (supposely flat and their modern standard) and the one in the XLII (the one they say sounds similar to a CK12).
That's very odd, to be honest I don't trust anything they say, they are much more into marketing gibberish than into quality or technically correct concepts.

Anyway whatever those capsules are, these mics don't sound very good.
I will not say more on this as I don't want by any means to hijack this thread

Thanks

Patent AKG CK12 brass capsule

Pictured is the original, actual patent of the famous "brass CK12" condenser microphone capsule by AKG (Akustische und Kinogeräte Ges.m.b.H) It is sti...
www.fotocommunity.de
www.fotocommunity.de
THIS is it!!!

I’ve changed the Neumann M7 (thiersch reskinn) to a 3UAudio M7 for testing and measurements in my personal Neumann M49 and i was really surprised about the acoustical performance of the 3U M7. Now the M49 got its original K49 back.

I would never change the Capsules of Clients Microphones. My options are waiting for Thiersch, replace by new Neumann Capsules or replace by the excellent M7 Capsule of Rico Vetterlein (new STW7), i ask every Client!

I can publish my Measurements of M7 original, M7 reskinn and 3U M7 in original M49s, the results are close to each other. The 3U M7 has less bass response of 1,5dB in the area 40-100hz against German M7s (i don’t measure lower than 40hz)

Best
Andreas
I didn’t say that you replaced capsule’s without asking clients permission only that you had used Chinese M7’s in repairs as you had mentioned to me. The drama was speculation by a capsule maker.

Please let's not start this again.
I cannot be blamed for other's posts.
Andreas and I know each other well.
Andreas Stenzel does brilliant work and I have worked for him.
Not for a minute did I believe he would use a chinese capsule in a Neumann mic.

Last edited:
OK the only question for me now is how many of you guys don't belong here?

#4 said:
You will find that the members of this community are courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the flame-war mentality at another forum. Personal attacks and generally hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, mic capsules, etc...) will not be tolerated.]

Just to be clear... will not be tolerated means exactly what it sounds like.

JR

Sooooo….

What was the deal with the edge terminated capsules used in Lomo mics? Was the inner structure like a CK12 or were they just k67 type things?

Sooooo….

What was the deal with the edge terminated capsules used in Lomo mics? Was the inner structure like a CK12 or were they just k67 type things?
I have worked on many. They are similar to a CK12 in that the backplate looks the same and they are chambered but they have 2 chambers or 3 chambers depending on whether they are multipattern or not and they take much higher polarization voltages.

The delay network holes are in a square configuration instead of a circle. I am travelling and I don't have photos with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back