PRR-176 REV 4 Build Thread ***Manual up!***1/16/14 - (chk 1st post)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two questions:
What are the DOA added in rev4 relative older revision?
Can I use edcor xsm 10k:10k as xformer output 600:600? (I have spare xsm...) or Carnhill 600:600?

heres my build progress / mock up. had built 6 gar1731s for this but i think ill just save them for another build and use abes pcbs will also be suing a 5k pot on the front panel for threshold control.  just got the edcors cuz they where cheap, may switch them out for cinemags...

able where is the ratio circuit at? i was thinking of putting a switch  in so i could have a compress an limit mode by changing the ratio resistor. think that would be possible?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    827.9 KB · Views: 114
Hey Abe/guys, sorry, I read through the thread, but I would just like to clarify for certain:

If we build the included DOA according to the schem/layout/BOM, does it drop right in, or is there some futzing around that has to be done to mount it??

About 6BC8 tubes...
If you look on rev 4 pcb, pin 1 of tubes is on the left.

On 6bc8, pin 1 is on the right when you mount it like on rev 4 pcb...

But if you look on rev2 boards, pin 1 is on the right and it's ok  with  orientation of the tube!!!
After looking on rev4 schematic, my conclusion is that 6bc8 connectors are inversed and can't be mounted on board.
Are you ok with me???

Hi mrdarwin
I've  checked the schematics and I think you are right!!! :-\

another question:
I'm using output transformer
The components that I can omit are these?
R38-39-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50
C15-16-17-18 and 5532
and same for other channel
Correct?
Something else?
If DOA are used all the 22pf must be omitted?
Thanks

mrdarwin said:
About 6BC8 tubes...
If you look on rev 4 pcb, pin 1 of tubes is on the left.

On 6bc8, pin 1 is on the right when you mount it like on rev 4 pcb...

But if you look on rev2 boards, pin 1 is on the right and it's ok  with  orientation of the tube!!!
After looking on rev4 schematic, my conclusion is that 6bc8 connectors are inversed and can't be mounted on board.
Are you ok with me???

What would be a good fix for this? Will reversing the tube pcb not work?

I think we can mount the tube socket behind
but since there is the transformer we can mount the valve in the vertical....
What do you think?

This is how i plan to mount them. I will have headers giving me enough height to clear the resisters. and I can mount mine up becasue I will be using a 2u (maybe even 3u) case

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 107
Back